Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dug down a few inches, thought I found "oil"!

As a seven-year-old, I noticed thathe rearea of my friend's backyard was "spongy".
    When I dug down just a few inches, I found a smelly, dark liquid I firsthought was oil.
    Then realized it was the water from the septic system of the house up on the hill to the east.
    I guess it kept my friend's grass greener:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.001625&z=20

Can a leach field be a somewhat steep slope of a hill?
    This was the late 1950's. Maybe in the steep woods behind (west) of the septic tank house, there was no leach field. (Now doesn't appear to be much of a woods.)
    Those houses were built years before the lower houses, such as my friend's to the west, were built. The lower houses were all connected to the public sewer.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-09-2011, 07:42 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Dug down a few inches, thought I found "oil"!

Quite often in the early years septic systems were put in with thought only to get rid of the effluent and not with treatment in mind. Some drainfields were installed with slope. Some on a great slope like you talk about. The problem with slope on a drainfield is the "oil" would come to the surface at the bottom of the line before the top of the line could get any use.

The draifield should follow the contour of the slope and stay level from one end to the other, then step down to the next line that would do the same.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

That's how Jed Clampett made his fortune isn't it?
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Funny, all the homes have brown comp roofs ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          That's how Jed Clampett made his fortune isn't it?
          texes tee hmmm let me try nope taste like shiznit to me
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I've yet to find a vw bug tank, though they are said to exist, and work better if the windows are rolled down. I've seen a few that were nothig more than a 55gal drum (with holes thoughfully knocked in the sides) buried in mining tails. When the soils are forgiving, you can get away with murder. clay not so much. 'infiltraters' is pretty much a dirty word to me, but they do work on a slope with good soil.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

The problem we have with Infiltrator is the moles will fill them full of dirt, rendering them useless. Infiltrator recomends using chicken wire in the bottom of the ditch. By the time the chicken wire rots away the bio mat has developed, keeping the pesky little buggers out. That's the theory anyhow. A better product, in my opinion, is EZ Flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                ... A better product, in my opinion, is EZ Flow.
                I was taking that for my BPH.
                I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

We have been installing infiltrators for umpteen years without a problem, but i always backfill fith stone and put about 6" of stone under the infiltrators

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    We have been installing infiltrators for umpteen years without a problem, but i always backfill fith stone and put about 6" of stone under the infiltrators
                    That would make the difference. It seems like if you back fill with stone, it would be cheaper to use a standard perf. pipe.

Comment

Working...
                    X