Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
thoughts on this? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • thoughts on this?

    Figured this deserved it's onw thread, though I posted about it in geno's thread earlier...

    update on the 500+ footer...

    went back yesterday and jetted some more, still couldn't get into the main, camm'ed again, wad o tp gone and could see finally; the saddle slipped on the main so they have a flow path like this () instead of this O, about 1 1/2" wide at the widest. paper is clogging/resticting there and holding water back in the 4' deep area under the neighbors drive and freezing there.

    think a 4" spiral root saw at the end of ~170' of 3/4" will cut the hole in the pvc main out to a circle? a proper repair is to dig the thing and put it right, but it's in a road under ashphalt and it is winter and this woman's ins is unlikely to buy it and she's had enough heartache lately.

    presumably the hole in the main was a circle at one time... stretching it out might leave a groundwater infiltration issue, or worse, if the original hole is showing outside the saddle.

    ho is on a tp goes in the trash can, not down the line and do a load of hot wash a day program for now, hoping to sneak through til spring when a dig wouldn't be quite as ugly.

    thoughts on the root saw idea, other ideas?

    ever see a saddle on a main move before? I haven't.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

  • #2
    Re: thoughts on this?

    I've mostly seen it when they hooked the house to the saddle with a fernco, but hell, I think we've all seen a glue joint get broken, that one is a change in direction and just as likely as any other.

    Not sure that the rootsaw will do the trick if you're on a drum. I think Rick has had some success cutting pipe with his machine, but I think cutting pipe lengthwise into the saddle would be asking a lot.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: thoughts on this?

      tune the cutter up with a dremel. put a tennis ball on the back to help get it out.i think i would try a shark tooth cutter first, but what do i know? if it drops through you will be able to get it back out if it is straight up and down with the wide part of the hole. you realize that she may never fix it if you do this. that would not deter me from doing it. breid...............

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: thoughts on this?

        no busted glue joints; the pipe is intact and good all the way to the main, then there is a bend just upstream of the main where the service hooks down to the main, then there is the main, with the pvc wall of the main occluding half+ of the flow path. it looks like the saddle moved a couple inches downstream on the main somehow.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: thoughts on this?

          Saddles shift all the time. I see taps disconnect and drop in older subdivisions where 2' and 4' sections of clay shift in the ground, pulling away from the main.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: thoughts on this?

            Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
            tune the cutter up with a dremel. put a tennis ball on the back to help get it out.i think i would try a shark tooth cutter first, but what do i know? if it drops through you will be able to get it back out if it is straight up and down with the wide part of the hole. you realize that she may never fix it if you do this. that would not deter me from doing it. breid...............
            Very, very interesting game plan...have you ever tried that will a tennis ball? Did it work? What was the application in which you did that? But yea..if you get stuck she gets to spend more money that she wants to.
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

            Derek

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: thoughts on this?

              any thoughts on the advisability of turning a tap into a 6" slot? If it's gonna be dug because the upstream end gets past the saddle and turns into an infiltration spot/ backfill falling in main plugger then there is no point in my trying to play hero.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: thoughts on this?

                alex, i've installed a hole saw onto a drill rod to ream out my butt fusion joints on trenchless pipe pulls. but remember that it's new pipe and i'm only doing 20' at a time when i drill.


                there are robotic cutters that will ream out fittings, but that has to be done from the main into your lateral.

                any photos or video?

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: thoughts on this?

                  Isn't the saddle tee owned by the city or county? Here like rick said they send a robot down the main and cut the tee then fix it. I have something like this going on right now and need to grind out a lip on the bottom of a six inch pipe, It is clay and tomorrow I will try a air grinder with zip ties holding it on and control it with 2 electricians duct rodders, I know it will bounce but I have a lot of different shapes of grinding stones to try. I need a 1/4 of the offset gone.
                  Seattle Drain Service

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: thoughts on this?

                    Originally posted by dcman View Post
                    Very, very interesting game plan...have you ever tried that will a tennis ball? Did it work? What was the application in which you did that? But yea..if you get stuck she gets to spend more money that she wants to.
                    I have a cutter set up with a tennis ball ducktaped inside on a 3 1/2" C cutter I primaraly use it for grease though workes good two push the sludge out on 4" lines
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: thoughts on this?

                      dc. yes. i tried it in my yard with a spiral saw. just use a joint of 4" pvc with 6 90s let cutter drop off end. see how much fun that is to get back. then put tennis ball with some 100 mph tape to keep ball in place. that takes all the fun out of it. i got one stuck and like to never got it out. i sleep better this way. breid..................

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: thoughts on this?

                        Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                        I have a cutter set up with a tennis ball ducktaped inside on a 3 1/2" C cutter I primaraly use it for grease though workes good two push the sludge out on 4" lines
                        I would be very interested to see a pic of that...typically I duct tape a towel to my cable for greasey lines....
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                        Derek

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: thoughts on this?

                          Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          dc. yes. i tried it in my yard with a spiral saw. just use a joint of 4" pvc with 6 90s let cutter drop off end. see how much fun that is to get back. then put tennis ball with some 100 mph tape to keep ball in place. that takes all the fun out of it. i got one stuck and like to never got it out. i sleep better this way. breid..................

                          My goodness somebody here plays with fire...
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                          Derek

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: thoughts on this?

                            Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                            Isn't the saddle tee owned by the city or county? Here like rick said they send a robot down the main and cut the tee then fix it. I have something like this going on right now and need to grind out a lip on the bottom of a six inch pipe, It is clay and tomorrow I will try a air grinder with zip ties holding it on and control it with 2 electricians duct rodders, I know it will bounce but I have a lot of different shapes of grinding stones to try. I need a 1/4 of the offset gone.
                            Bryan, can you get some pics of the setup you're describing when you do this? Thanks in advance. (I have no idea what electricians duct rodders are)

                            Time flies like an arrow.

                            Fruit flies like a banana.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X