X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rootranger on 10''-12'' corrugated pipe

30 year old complex with a 10'' to 12'' corrugated storm line that's not draining runs from the 10 acre park area through the pool area out to the catch basin in the curb.

towed my big us jetter up to the project and parked it just outside the catch basin.

turns out the line runs 103' from the 10'' open line to the 12'' at the catch basin. being a corrugated pipe with slip fittings and running through the pool planter with 30 year old ficus trees, i knew this was going to be a hit or miss project. according to the hoa board member, this line has never been cleaned.

started from the catch basin running upstream to the 10'' open line. used a 6 rear and 1 forward nozzle at 4000# 18gpm to see how far i could jet before i either stop or get stuck managed to get 80' of the 103' section. washed out mud, gravel, and some roots.

come in from the other side with my 4 forward and 6 rear expensive nozzle and got it through to where i left off now i jet the full 103' and swap over to the 1/2'' rootranger.

knowing that i had roots and a large amount of mud and gravel, the rr 1 rear facing jet sitting on the bottom of the pipe would blast it clean with its rotary turbine. sounds like a jet engine running at 4000#.

needless to say, it did as i knew it would

this nozzle was sized for my old trailer at 2500, 11gpm. so with my new specs 4000 at 18 gpm. i have much more reserve water volume to play with. think i'm going to drill the front for a front jet at 4 gpm so i can cut roots going in.

the hoa board was impressed and wants me to come back yearly. they have 200 homes in this hoa with lots of storm drains that need cleaning.

think i'm ready for the quad-zilla nozzle bill

rick.

10'' open line with mud and gravel and roots.

12'' catch basin opening at street. easily a 300# grate.

cleaning from the 12''

some of the catch as i collected the roots.

the 1/2'' root ranger with an 8'' extension pipe to prevent it from flipping and chasing me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-21-2011, 04:35 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: rootranger on 10''-12'' corrugated pipe

That's awesome.

Comment

Impressive job, I understand how the rr cuts, does it flush out the line well or do you make a final run with a flusher nozzle?

Comment

the root ranger is a 25 degree spread from a 0 degree jet stream. since it's pretty heavy, it rides on the bottom of the pipe. in this job application, it was perfect as it was used to blow out the bottom of the pipe and debris.

the howling/ jet turbine also gives an audio indication of your progress.

by far the most powerful jet nozzle there is.

the difference between a warthog with 2 rear and 1 forward is the ability of that nozzle to cut a forward hole and cover the top of the pipe with its rotary 2 jets.

but the root ranger has 1 single jet that out pulls and out cuts anything i've tried. including my 4 wathogs the issues is you need to work the hose to spin the nozzle to clean the top of pipe. the forward jet is nice when you have a full blown root stoppage. i'll be machining the root ranger to accept a 15 degree ceramic nozzle that will allow me to blast forward and cut a path for the body and rear turbine.

there are plenty of photos i've posted on the power of the root ranger. i'll see if i can find them.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I like how you made the extension, did you already have it ready or make it because the line went to 12"? And did you try your 1/2 warthog?
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

actually the extension came with the us jetter.

didn't bother with the warthog as i started first with a 1 front 6 rear nozzle, then the 4 front 6 rear and finished with the root ranger.

problem with the warthog is mine are the 1/2'' with the 2' long flex leader hose. i didn't want to take a chance getting it stuck or having it turn around and chasing me

plus with all the dirt and gravel debris, the root ranger is a stronger jet to wash out the pipe with.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

didn't bother with the warthog as i started first with a 1 front 6 rear nozzle, then the 4 front 6 rear and finished with the root ranger.

problem with the warthog is mine are the 1/2'' with the 2' long flex leader hose. i didn't want to take a chance getting it stuck or having it turn around and chasing me

plus with all the dirt and gravel debris, the root ranger is a stronger jet to wash out the pipe with.

rick.
              WTF are you doing on the forum.Answer your phone calls....
              Poser!!!!

Comment

i was actually talking to the hoa manager about this job discussing the future needs.

dan, how much root-x do i need to treat 103' of 10''-12'' corrugated poly pipe need it for april

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick i use the big 1/2 warthog on some 18" storm drain. Just make sure 2 use the correct centralizer and you dont have 2 worry about a thing.

Comment

Looks like fun Rick! Next time you're doing anything that's that much fun, maybe you can give me an invite. I'd like to watch and learn proper jetting techinques
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                      Looks like fun Rick! Next time you're doing anything that's that much fun, maybe you can give me an invite. I'd like to watch and learn proper jetting techinques

Not likely, Rick doesn't like people watching him and he is very camera shy.
                      The Other Rick

Comment

Weld two angle irons on a 1 inch stick of half inch. Look like a X Wing fighter. Its cheaper than a pre made skid. My Harben put out number close to that us jet trailer. It had no problem pulling 500 ft. The nozzles last longer.

Comment

the root ranger is a 25 degree spread from a 0 degree jet stream. since it's pretty heavy, it rides on the bottom of the pipe. in this job application, it was perfect as it was used to blow out the bottom of the pipe and debris.

the howling/ jet turbine also gives an audio indication of your progress.

by far the most powerful jet nozzle there is.

the difference between a warthog with 2 rear and 1 forward is the ability of that nozzle to cut a forward hole and cover the top of the pipe with its rotary 2 jets.

but the root ranger has 1 single jet that out pulls and out cuts anything i've tried. including my 4 wathogs the issues is you need to work the hose to spin the nozzle to clean the top of pipe. the forward jet is nice when you have a full blown root stoppage. i'll be machining the root ranger to accept a 15 degree ceramic nozzle that will allow me to blast forward and cut a path for the body and rear turbine.

there are plenty of photos i've posted on the power of the root ranger. i'll see if i can find them.

rick.
                          Great Rick when you get yours done tell me and I will send you mine to machine, I'll pay ya whatever you want. Thanks!
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

rick.

I drove two hours to day to a frozen manure line. The guy said its like eight inch. Turns out to be sixteen. 3/8 Warthog got it open.I was waiting for the u banger but it stayed in the line. It was frozen muck and not frozen hard or filled sand. When it opened I quickly closed the valve but the two mexican fellows there knew enough to dive behind a skid steer.

Comment

Working...
                            X