X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question

Will the K-40 with a 5/16" cable jump a trap on kitchen or lavatory sink, then go thru? I know a 1/4" cable will, but before I invest in a larger and longer cable and quite possibly a machine...wondering if it works? If 1/4" can't reach it I have to disassemble the trap and cable the drain with a 3/8" cable on my K-400. So anyhow and input would be great!! Thanks!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: General Question

Originally posted by dcman View Post
    Will the K-40 with a 5/16" cable jump a trap on kitchen or lavatory sink, then go thru? I know a 1/4" cable will, but before I invest in a larger and longer cable and quite possibly a machine...wondering if it works? If 1/4" can't reach it I have to disassemble the trap and cable the drain with a 3/8" cable on my K-400. So anyhow and input would be great!! Thanks!

How are you guys rodding through sink drains without removing the trap ? Are you cutting the head of a 1/4" cable off to sneak it through ? It doesn't seem like a 1/4" cable would have enough muscle for most sinks ???

Just wondering as I ALWAYS remove the trap to rod a sink. I'm also thinking with all the back yard plumbing I see that I would be blowing apart pipes at the connections going through traps

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      How are you guys rodding through sink drains without removing the trap ? Are you cutting the head of a 1/4" cable off to sneak it through ? It doesn't seem like a 1/4" cable would have enough muscle for most sinks ???

Just wondering as I ALWAYS remove the trap to rod a sink. I'm also thinking with all the back yard plumbing I see that I would be blowing apart pipes at the connections going through traps
      Alot of drains here are S-Traps and then go to steel in wall, drop down and go to a cast iron stack not to far away...but sometimes more than 30 foot...and yes I cut the end off and make like a question mark on the end of the cable...seems to work except when length is an issue.

Derek

Comment

I will tell you later today. Just bought a K-40 B unit, and I have a job later on today to try it out on.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Alot of drains here are S-Traps and then go to steel in wall, drop down and go to a cast iron stack not to far away...but sometimes more than 30 foot...and yes I cut the end off and make like a question mark on the end of the cable...seems to work except when length is an issue.

A lot of kitchen sinks around here have a "bulls eye" or "cross" pattern in the drain opening. How are you getting cable down past these openings ?

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            I will tell you later today. Just bought a K-40 B unit, and I have a job later on today to try it out on.
            Looking forward to your review of the K-40, Ron.

B unit? does that mean battery powered? 18v? or 14.4v?

It'll be interesting to see how that holds up

Comment

A lot of kitchen sinks around here have a "bulls eye" or "cross" pattern in the drain opening. How are you getting cable down past these openings ?
              You can get the hook on the end to screw it self through one of the openings. Have done this many times to get a line open then remove the trap and rod with a larger rodder.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Looking forward to your review of the K-40, Ron.

B unit? does that mean battery powered? 18v? or 14.4v?

It'll be interesting to see how that holds up
              Its is battery unit and uses the same Makita batteries as the older ProPress 14.4V

Comment

With the end cut off it just squeezes thru the slot and goes on thru...

Derek

Comment

Ok here I am rodding a lav sink with the K-40B AF Sorry the video is not all that great, I ran the rod in the line about 20' The sink was slow and the blockage was just past the P-trap in the wall. The trap is 1 1/4" trap. It took a little to get used to the auto feed. It had more than enough power to work right through the trap and the blockage. I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV7iZFZox3s

Comment

Plastic trap or Brass? I've wrecked a couple brass traps trying to get the machine to go through a brass trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                      Plastic trap or Brass? I've wrecked a couple brass traps trying to get the machine to go through a brass trap.
                      A good solid brass trap. I have too ran into some paper thin traps. I always check to make sure I can not put my thumb through it.

Comment

A good solid brass trap. I have too ran into some paper thin traps. I always check to make sure I can not put my thumb through it.

LOL Gotta love those 22 gauge traps.

Comment

So that was the K-40 with a 5/16" Cable right?

Derek

Comment

So that was the K-40 with a 5/16" Cable right?
                            Yep its only the 35' of the 5/16 cable. Just had to feel the rod through the trap.

Comment

Yep its only the 35' of the 5/16 cable. Just had to feel the rod through the trap.

That is awesome... Now I wonder if it will hold a 50 footer of 5/16" cable?
                              Last edited by dcman; 01-21-2011, 08:46 PM.

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X