X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's your problem...

Couldn't get the camera very far down the line..... I knew there were roots, but didn't expect it to be this bad...

That's a solid mass of roots. There was a small channel (about 1" in diameter) that shrunk to almost a complete blockage one side.

There was more to it than just that, just that was the one piece that I was able to get out in a solid chunk.
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: There's your problem...

Just wondered if you tried cabling that nightmare first?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Of course I did. The homeowner is an old friend of my father and was there chatting with me while I was attempting to snake the line. After about an hour of pulling roots and what he saw on the camera, he insisted I pack it up and cone back ready to dig. What was I to do? The customer is always right
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
        Just wondered if you tried cabling that nightmare first?
        Yup,
        Can't remember if I used the k-39 with the 5/16 or the 3/8" cable.I thought on the ridgid website you can use 3/8" up to 4" pipe.

Dang Aram,
        you done already?

Comment

I dunno I think the ropump might have got it
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I woulda used the autospin. Lol. Honestly though a root ranger MAY have been able to clear that. I hate patching clay pipe, before you know it you are replacing the whole lateral, it cracks so easily.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              I woulda used the autospin. Lol. Honestly though a root ranger MAY have been able to clear that. I hate patching clay pipe, before you know it you are replacing the whole lateral, it cracks so easily.
              Most of the septic/laterals that have roots we encounter can't be corrected by any machine in my opinion. Not a K-60, K-7500, Trailer Jetter, etc.

Seen them so thick we chopped our selfs to death with axes or whatever to try and make some headway.

Better/faster to put in a new line.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Most of the septic/laterals that have roots we encounter can't be corrected by any machine in my opinion. Not a K-60, K-7500, Trailer Jetter, etc.

Seen them so thick we chopped our selfs to death with axes or whatever to try and make some headway.

Better/faster to put in a new line.

J.C.
                And the flipside of the coin is the guys that I get called in behind.They'll want to replace a sewer that has had water in it.
                In my very short carrier of having the equipment that this forum has educated me to have I have cleared lines that other scandals,or perhaps untrained persons with a rental rooter have failed and want to replace.

One of my first success stories is still clear to this day.I called her to ask if she was O/K or if she got someone else.R/R wanted to replace.
                I have had ONE that needed to be replaced.It was left unoccupied with the water on for a couple years after the tenants moved out.Orangeburg with obvious issues due to the condition of the cable scarred cleanout.I am sure if I did more a day these would be easy multipliers for my area.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                  Of course I did. The homeowner is an old friend of my father and was there chatting with me while I was attempting to snake the line. After about an hour of pulling roots and what he saw on the camera, he insisted I pack it up and cone back ready to dig. What was I to do? The customer is always right
                  No arguments here....I bet when you camera the line the customer saw that and was like what the fudge???!!!

Derek

Comment

Have to remember though, I'm talking about septic lines.

I can see where a municipal sewer could be maintained reasonably. And where some would try to sell a new line every time without it being necessary.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Yup,
                      Can't remember if I used the k-39 with the 5/16 or the 3/8" cable.I thought on the ridgid website you can use 3/8" up to 4" pipe.

Dang Aram,
                      you done already?
                      LOL....Okay now your just making fun of me aren't ya?! Really I only asked to find out if he was asked to camera the line first or just tried to cable the line... (its okay to bust my chops...wife does it all the time)

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                        LOL....Okay now your just making fun of me aren't ya?! Really I only asked to find out if he was asked to camera the line first or just tried to cable the line... (its okay to bust my chops...wife does it all the time)
                        It was not played in your direction sir

Comment

I figured as much since I do't have a K-39!!

Derek

Comment

Nope....I save the the K-39 for the 6" lines. This one got this little guy....

Ya, ya, I know....it's no K-60 but it does a decent job.

Just picked up a used Marco ME-90.....came with a new 75ft cable (5/8"), so I picked up an extra 25ft....now I've got 100ft of 5/8" cable. Still on the lookout for a good deal on a K-60.....
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                              Nope....I save the the K-39 for the 6" lines. This one got this little guy....

Ya, ya, I know....it's no K-60 but it does a decent job.

Just picked up a used Marco ME-90.....came with a new 75ft cable (5/8"), so I picked up an extra 25ft....now I've got 100ft of 5/8" cable. Still on the lookout for a good deal on a K-60.....
                              Takes a little amount of time and money.I dumped a lot of savings into drain cleaning equipment when I saw the economy dumping.
                              Excelent choice of blade.You got a 3x4,Rick likes those for drum.

Comment

Working...
                              X