A Test of Their Mettle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Test of Their Mettle

Funny,I'm proud of Her and She even isn't My granddaughter.
    I hope You take it slow and don't scare Her off. We can all see She's a great Kid. Good for You Unkle
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would definitely encourage her.... from the pics, it doesn't look like she minds doing the work and maybe it's time for females to start getting into the drain cleaning field.

Good job to the trainee for sticking it out and making it past the first day.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

But I would of showed no mercy...I would of taken them to the sewer plant I work at from time to time. Would of showed them the machine that takes the solid's from our sewers and squeezes the water out of it.

Good job.

Comment

Thats great she did so well! I would definitely encourage her. It would bring her self confidence up to another level. I know it did for me when I started working with my ol man. It would just be great for her to have that knowledge and ability.

I would definetly hire a female plumber. Most single women, stay at home moms, etc are much more comfortable having a woman they don't know in their house rather than a guy they don't know.
          Last edited by mpm; 01-25-2011, 01:20 AM.
          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Just curious, why the want to work with you? Were they bored or finally tired of the parents getting on their case?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Just curious, why the want to work with you? Were they bored or finally tired of the parents getting on their case?
              Guessing They love their unkle
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A little of both I think. Parents are divorced so trying to take a more active roll in their lives. They are considered 'at risk' at this age. The boy has already lost focus and the girl is getting in trouble lately. Ill give him another shot this weekend at their moms house. Its pretty frustrating to see him so disinterested in everything. How do you motivate a teenage boy? Never had kids so I have no idea how to do that.

Comment

Do you still do your secondary business?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    A little of both I think. Parents are divorced so trying to take a more active roll in their lives. They are considered 'at risk' at this age. The boy has already lost focus and the girl is getting in trouble lately. Ill give him another shot this weekend at their moms house. Its pretty frustrating to see him so disinterested in everything. How do you motivate a teenage boy? Never had kids so I have no idea how to do that.
                    I know money always seemed to motivate me. I worked with my dad during the summers and other breaks. I have to say having that cash in your pocket is great.

I also worked a restaurant job when I was a teenager. It was one the beach in a resort area. I made $100+ for 4-5hrs of work running food. It was awesome. The only thing that motivated me to quit was seeing all the people who never left the food service industry and how burnt out they were. That and my dad's foreman once said to me "boy you gonna be workin at a restaurant your whole life or do you wanna be a man and learn a trade?" or something to that effect.

Try to remember what it was like at his age and see if you can relate. If you can understand the place he is at in his life you might be able to find a way to motivate him.
                    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

How do you motivate a teenage boy? Never had kids so I have no idea how to do that.
                      Only had 3 girls myself. You probably can't motivate him if he has no drive,
                      just give him an opportunity. I was out of high school at 17 with a diploma
                      and knew I was headed for the Army. But things were different 41 yrs. ago.
                      Girls seem more inclined to try new things. You never know the impact her
                      experience with you will have.

Comment

How do you motivate a teenage boy?
                        1. Money
                        2. Car
                        3. Freedom

Teenage boy or full grown man....
                        I am not sure if there is much of a difference

Is the boy into sports at all? Maybe get him signed up for track or baseball in the spring.....just an "idear"

Comment

Different people have different motivators for whatever reason.

Just for example I know a lady with a couple of sons that she basically is raising. She was very much for the "time out" psychological type of correcting/punishment for her first son.

Didn't work. Found out that the only thing that did was whoopin' his azz. Time out didn't work, but an azz whoopin' & chewin' did. Kid is doing well.

Her second son you could literally whoop all day long and not phase him because he has an intestinal fortitude that will not to let you break him in that way.

So she had to "time out" and take things away to get the same results. Also doing well.

Your nephew has a pressure point motivator. You just have to find it. Harder today because kids are given everything they could want materially. But many are still almost begging for discipline and a leader.

Good luck.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

. Its pretty frustrating to see him so disinterested in everything. How do you motivate a teenage boy?
                            BOOBIES, and thats about it.

Seriously though, I don't know if it's even possible to motivate a teenage boy.

I was on a bad path when I was a bit younger then him. I know a lot of people tried to steer me the right way but it all fell on def ears because "I knew everything in life already".

I remember the exact moment I decided to chose the right path but by then I had burned a lot of bridges.
                            Thank God one man took a huge chance on me and put his neck on the line by giving me a job. His roll of the dice to take a chance on me was instrumental in me turning my life around.

I think the key for me, as it will be for your Nephew, lies within. He has to make the choice to better himself, and I don't think theres anything you can do to make him make that choice.

All you can do is give him a chance when he finely "see's the light", and even then he may fail.
                            To push the matter, when he is not ready, will only be a situation that will be a great source of frustration for both you and him.

If you intend to provide him an opportunity later, I think it's important to let him know that now. A simple " I looks like this is something you're not into right now, but if you ever decide it's something you'd like to try out, just let me know".

It's cool that the girl is into it.
                            I don't know whats going on lately but it's almost like the roles have been reversed. It seams like more and more girls are into "man" work then boys.

Even in our own family, our son wants nothing to do with snaking drains etc.., but he's starting to show an interest in the "business" end.

Our daughter on the other hand is chomping at the bit to work with us in the field, and wants nothing at all to do with the business end.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                            X