A Test of Their Mettle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Test of Their Mettle

My twin 17 year old niece and nephew want to come work with me this summer Of course, I laughed it off but they seem pretty persistant.

So tomorrow I'm going over to my brother-in-laws to snake all the drains in the house. The kids will do ALL the work. I'll provide the tools, instructions and safety equipment. The first one not to gag, scream or run out of the room may get the opportunity. I personally don't think either one has the stomach for inner-city plumbing not to mention getting out of bed before 11am on a summer day.

We'll start small like a tub or lavy drain. Go to the kitchen next then pull a few toilets to run the big machine. Just for fun, I'll flush a few condoms down my niece's toilet with no one looking. Can't wait to see my BIL's face when they come back on the retriever head. He's still in denial that she's sexually active. This should make for some lively dinnertime conversation

What other fun tricks can I try?

Dumping a jar of Metamucil down the kitchen drain?

Re: A Test of Their Mettle

Maybe a pair of Dunbar's fabled "Streaked Briefs" would pique their interest.

Comment

I nominated this post for 3 reasons

1. Not 1 but 2, 17 year olds want to work at ANYTHING.

2. You are willing to give them a chance. . Kids need a chance to succeed or fail. Either way you will be teaching them VALUABLE lessons that they will carry with them for the rest of their life.

3. That condom trick is friggin' priceless. I so hope you pull it off. You should video it. I'd pay money to see the look on her fathers face when he sees that, and her trying to explain she has no idea how they got there..
      You have to figure out a way to pull this off.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I agree..That's great they have an interest in the business..Especially when they find out you're gonna be given em' the business...
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Do you have a water ram? I'm sure you can get creative with it.

Make them remove the wax seal that's left on.

Go on a long crawl.

Have some fun. I have to say to really take the opportunity to teach them too. I've worked with some in my earlier years that just wanted to laugh at you and beat you down. Didn't get much of anything from them.

One of the best things I think you could get across to them is there is no quit or declaring they "can't" or "it's not working". As I've told some that have helped me, you don't stop until it's right.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Do you have a water ram? I'm sure you can get creative with it.

Make them remove the wax seal that's left on.

Go on a long crawl.

Have some fun. I have to say to really take the opportunity to teach them too. I've worked with some in my earlier years that just wanted to laugh at you and beat you down. Didn't get much of anything from them.

One of the best things I think you could get across to them is there is no quit or declaring they "can't" or "it's not working". As I've told some that have helped me, you don't stop until it's right.

J.C.
            Oh yea, scraping wax I forgot that used to be really disgusting before I became numb to it.

Being twins, they are pretty competitive towards each other. So far, they seem really mature about this trial. We'll see how it goes. One has been gifted with beauty and brains, the other with some mad XBox skills. If nothing else it should show them the need to stay in school and get a decent education.

The winner gets lunch at Denny's with uncle Bill

Comment

I remember when I went on a job with my dad. I was afraid to touch anything and get dirty. Then my father said to me "Ron, Don't worry it all washes off." I think there where days my mother wish he never said that to me.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Don't do the rubber thing!!!!!!!! I have a buddy who's wife at the time claimed she got crabs from him. he stuck to his guns and said it could not have been him........ well he just about broke down and told her about a few infidelities in the very recent past, luckily for him she said april fools before he spilled his guts.

Comment

I hope they like the job I think drain cleaning is a good specialized skill. No license required and most plumbers don't like it and are horrible at it.
                  I may be wrong but I think I could get a job faster because of my drain cleaning ability than my plumbing skills. Heck I could send about all of my plumbing friends out to a plumbing call for me and they would do a fine job. I could only send 1 guy out to clean a drain for me and know it was done well, he isn't a plumber either.

Comment

in indiana they can't run any machine until they are 18. as far as i know. as far as family they have to be yours. the repubs just took over so that may change. if you don't believe me go read a little history on the votes when the child labor laws were first passed. breid...............

Comment

bill, a good laugh is putting some blond hair down the shower drain and then snaking it out. this is of course nobody in the family is a blond

pulled this trick with a friends high school son. pulled out the blond hair on my snake in front of his mom while he was at school and said, i didn't know matt was a blond

even if you grab it off a doll at the 99 cent store or the local super cuts. it will make for a great moment.

17 is too late. i went with uncle jack at age 12

scary part is he's still working

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Sounds like "That damn apprentice" is in the works. Video a must.

Comment

Kalie did GREAT! but I had to wake her up at noon to start this exercise Pissed that I was taking pictures only because she hadn't put on her makeup yet.

Kyle bailed when he saw the black gook in the tub drain. I thought that someone who spends most of his spare time chopping up zombies on his Xbox would have more of a stomach for this

Didn't flush any condoms I didn't want to spoil the bonding moment we were having.

Pic #1 No linkage on trip lever?

Pic # 2 A natural with the K-50

Pic #3 Black nasties from the tub drain

Pic #4 Descaling the rim holes

Pic #5 She loves the K-50 Said uncle Bill has the coolest tools ever
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tha'ts great...she has a huge advantage....when that cable slaps her leg it won't rip out the hair!! Kudos to her for getting thru it!
                            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

looks like the k-50 is older than uncle bill

didn't she at least get dirty

see, even a rookie stays clean with a sectional machine

brings back memories from the roundup at josh's parents house

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X