Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help getting rigged out

H'lo, Fellas,

New here. First of all I'll give y'all a little introduction. We are primarily excavators who specialize in septic installations of all types. In order to better serve our customers and keep more of our services in-house we also got into septic tank and grease trap pumping. By default, we often need to clear laterals that remain clogged after we pump a septic tank.

Sorry, Ridgid, but so far all we have is General stuff. We have an Easy Rooter with 100' 3/4 cable, a SewerRooter with 75' 1/2" cable, and a Super-Vee with both 35' of 3/8" and 50' of 1/4" cable. We also have a closet auger and a Kinetic Water Ram.

We try to be pretty professional about our excavating and pumping services, but I must confess, when it comes to clearing clogged pipes we're a little on the redneck side. Most the time the pump truck operator calls and says he needs help, we rush to the shop and throw everything we can think of in the back of a pickup and head out there, only to realize we forgot something or other that would have really made the difference.

Now, let's get to my question: We're tired of the way it's been going, and we want to set up a trailer for drain cleaning. I would like you guys to share your opinions on what would, in your minds, be required for a BASIC drain cleaning rig. I realize we're into septic for the most part but occasionally we even get called to clear laterals in town, so I'll put down what I'm thinking and you guys fill in the blanks.
    1. All our existing cable machines, etc.
    2. Complete cutter sets.
    3. Toolbox full of basic plumbers tools.
    4. Toolbox full of basic replacement parts we may need, such as wax rings, toilet flange bolts, trap seals, etc. etc.
    5. Lots of towels.
    6. Tarps with clamps and weights to hold them in place.
    7. A camera, maybe start with a Micro Reel and eventually go to something bigger.
    8. A cart jetter in the 5.5-6 GPM @ 4000 psi range, with a mini 1/8" trap hose and a portable 1/4" hose reel.
    9. A couple 50' garden hoses to feed the jet.
    10. A Shop-Vac.
    Is there anything I'm missing? I'm sure there's lots more I could add, but we don't have to have all the bells and whistles to start with if we can just do a good job and take care of the largest majority of blockages.

Some of you are probably wondering why we don't just sub this work out. We're not against it as a principle, but all the drain cleaners we know of are either the scrubby, scruffy, smelly, dirty variety or a little on the shady side (such as upselling services that are totally unnecessary). We don't want to tarnish our company's image by recommending them. We do have an awesome jetter guy that we use, but all he does is jetting, so there you have it.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kendall

Re: Need help getting rigged out

welcome kendall. i think you're the third sewer rat on the forum

i was going to suggest a trailer jetter to compliment your septic work, but it sounds like you have a good contact for 1.

forget the trailer. all you need is a k-60 and you'll be ready to tackle 90% of everything you'll run into

the k-60 is the size of a tool box.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, Rick,

Ya, I registered that username and for some reason it said it was available, I'd change it if I could but. . . Maybe when I get time I'll edit my avatar for identification purposes.

Anyway, thanks for the hearty welcome. I love forums and I'm sure I'll be a regular, although I'll probably mostly learn from you guys. However, if any urbanites have septic questions, I m a y be able to give a little back.

As far as the trailer jet, it will come with time, it's all picked out too. As my brother reminded me the other day, I didn't get a Cadillac as soon as I got my driver's license. Some things take time.

Comment

Welcome! I'm a pumper dude/portable toilet guy that does some drain cleaning when necesary. If you haven't already, check out the septic forum. We get homeowners with septic question quite often. You should be able to help us help them out!

For drain cleaning (only outside stuff) we use a Spartan 300 most of the time. We also carry a small cart jetter on the truck. It puts out 3,000psi and about 3.5 to 4 gpm. We use 1/4" x 150' hose. It's use is primarily jetting drainfields and effluent lines. Particularly cast iron lines. Besides those machines we do have a Spartan 100 (not very good at mainline blockages unless it's a soft one), and a General Speedrooter 90 with 3/4" cable. The drive on the General is screwed however. I think I'm going to adapt a Spartan drive on it. Of course I've been threatening to do this for years and it hasn't gotten done. Oh well.

We try to carry what we need to clean lines on the truck. That way we don't have to make another trip or call someone else out.

Ricks idea of the K-60 might be just the ticket for you. I've not used a sectional machine but it would take up a lot less room on the truck.

I hope this helps!

Trent
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

By the way, nice web-site. I can see you are a true professional. That's a nice thing to see in our industry. We need more people like you, keep it up!
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

There are little jetters that live in a side toolbox on the side of the pumper truck. if you've got space there for a couple of boxes you could put a jetter in one and tools in the other and avoid hauling a trailer around.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
              By the way, nice web-site. I can see you are a true professional. That's a nice thing to see in our industry. We need more people like you, keep it up!
              Thanks, I noticed on our sitemeter that someone had found us through Google and really checked us out. Now we know who the culprit is!

I agree, we are trying to do battle with the raunchy perception the public has of our industry. We certainly don't know it all, but we definitely try to learn all we can and pass that along to our customers.

Comment

I agree with Rick on this one. A K-60 would be a good asset because it will fit on the pump truck, that way the pumper can clear the line as well with out calling for backup. I know that's not really the questions but I am drum guy and if I was back doing septic work again I would own a K-60!

Dan Lawrence

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                welcome kendall. i think you're the third sewer rat on the forum

i was going to suggest a trailer jetter to compliment your septic work, but it sounds like you have a good contact for 1.

forget the trailer. all you need is a k-60 and you'll be ready to tackle 90% of everything you'll run into

the k-60 is the size of a tool box.

rick.

Comment

Working...
                X