Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Almost

    I got a call to open a sewer from a plumber. RR had been there and tried to clean a main with a 1/4 inch though some basin sink poured in the floor. It must be too hard to pull a stool? I was clicking my heels to get over there a get started. They must have been over there and got the cable out late last night. They got the line cleared and now all the broken pipe talk was a mistake. I was looking forward to wipping their a#$. All the talk about how great they are. Paying tech on a percent leads to poor work and poor cleaning. Polking holes and charging for it.

  • #2
    Re: Almost

    Originally posted by DANE View Post
    I got a call to open a sewer from a plumber. RR had been there and tried to clean a main with a 1/4 inch though some basin sink poured in the floor. It must be too hard to pull a stool? I was clicking my heels to get over there a get started. They must have been over there and got the cable out late last night. They got the line cleared and now all the broken pipe talk was a mistake. I was looking forward to wipping their a#$. All the talk about how great they are. Paying tech on a percent leads to poor work and poor cleaning. Polking holes and charging for it.

    Yep and they charge top dollar..Like I tell my customers. This is the equipment used to clean most drains (k-60)and this is how long it takes to do it right..Call a flat rate co. They will show up for x amount poke a hole in 5 min. and be gone ..And guess what you still pay x amount..I don't know any more how some people sleep at night..

    Got a call today from a reg. customer.Laundry branch backing up in the basement..Pulled out the k-60 .They were like WOW! Snaked the floor drain with the reverse auger to open things up and get things flowing . (only 2" so ran the 5/8" cables). I have had great sucess lately getting my 7/8" reverse auger cables through 3" floor drains BTW ...Ran the sink the whole time .. Pulled back 4 wipes and a wad of hair / lint ..Again while the Homeowner watching me the whole time WOW!. Then attached my mini jetter ( boiler drain connection to tubing ) and proceded to blast away ..I blasted the stand pipe , and the floor drain. Ran the cables through again .Between set up , snaking , jetting , and clean up a little less than 2 hrs. Again it's taking the extra time sometimes that means the difference between a call back a week later and a very happy customer.. And her bill was less than most co. in my area charge..Spend a little extra time and be thorough.. Not beating my chest but I have yet to have a call back on a drain I cleaned
    Last edited by OLD1; 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Almost

      I charge a flat rate for my drain cleaning services. I throw in a camera inspection (when I can camera it) too. I usually run my cable 2 or 3 X .

      I don't think it matters what pricing platform you use, flat rate, t&m, what ever. It matters on what type of business you want to run. I know that word of mouth is my best advertising. I want to do a good job for my customers, I like to leave people smiling.

      I am a one man shop, if I can't get to a call I recommend another company. This company is a flat rate shop and yes their prices are higher than most (including mine) and their techs are paid on percentage but I know they want to clean the drain not just poke a hole. IF I have to refer someone to another company I refer based on quality of work not necessarily pricing.

      I think RR is notorious for this kind of work, I don't know what it is about them. There is a RR shop in my area and I never recommend to anyone if I can't get to it..
      Ray

      “Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
      Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

      www.mauiplumbinginc.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Almost

        Originally posted by mpm View Post
        I charge a flat rate for my drain cleaning services. I throw in a camera inspection (when I can camera it) too. I usually run my cable 2 or 3 X .

        I don't think it matters what pricing platform you use, flat rate, t&m, what ever. It matters on what type of business you want to run. I know that word of mouth is my best advertising. I want to do a good job for my customers, I like to leave people smiling.

        I am a one man shop, if I can't get to a call I recommend another company. This company is a flat rate shop and yes their prices are higher than most (including mine) and their techs are paid on percentage but I know they want to clean the drain not just poke a hole. IF I have to refer someone to another company I refer based on quality of work not necessarily pricing.

        I think RR is notorious for this kind of work, I don't know what it is about them. There is a RR shop in my area and I never recommend to anyone if I can't get to it..
        Just because some of us are flat rate, it doesn't mean we do a poor job clearing drains. Personally, I'll run a cable a dozen times if that's what it takes to get the line clean and make the customer happy.

        BTW, I haven't had a call back for a drain cleaning either.....
        Ideal Plumbing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Almost

          RR is like McDonalds We all know Mom and Pop shops have better burgers but everyone still eats at McDonalds. It's all Marketing if we had the
          $Millions$ to spend on marketing we would Kick RR azz all over the map.
          I'm T&M Plus Flat Rate T&M on Sewers with a minimum and flat rate on small drains.
          Last edited by UnClogNH; 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

          Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Almost

            Originally posted by OLD1 View Post


            . Then attached my mini jetter ( boiler drain connection to tubing ) and proceded to blast away ..I blasted the stand pipe , and the floor drain. Ran the cables through again .Between set up , snaking , jetting , and clean up a little less than 2 hrs.

            What's your mini jetter set up? Is it electric or gas?

            I've been thinking that a small electric jetter (like the KJ-1350) would be good for sink and laundry lines.

            thanks,

            chris

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Almost

              RR must be holding seminars on how to poke holes in sewers and quote for a dig up. That's ALL I hear about them. Same story like a broken record. Never hear about it from other drain companies, just RR. Why is that?

              If anyone here has worked for RR I'd like to hear if this practice is encouraged or what the company policy is for clearing mains.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Almost

                Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                RR must be holding seminars on how to poke holes in sewers and quote for a dig up. That's ALL I hear about them. Same story like a broken record. Never hear about it from other drain companies, just RR. Why is that?

                If anyone here has worked for RR I'd like to hear if this practice is encouraged or what the company policy is for clearing mains.
                I can neither deny nor confirm being an old RR guy You are made to to rush because your on commission and you have to hit numbers or your hauled into the office. They hire way to many tech's and turn everyone of them into starving hungry wolves who have to pay for all their own cables, Van, Gas etc on top of being nickel and dime to death.
                I'm happy to say being on my own I don't feel like I'm being rushed and have to use sneaky tactics to pay my bills. I know a lot of ex RR guy's who are on their own and never looked back!
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Almost

                  [QUOTE=idlplumb;329072]Just because some of us are flat rate, it doesn't mean we do a poor job clearing drains. Personally, I'll run a cable a dozen times if that's what it takes to get the line clean and make the customer happy.

                  BTW, I haven't had a call back for a drain cleaning either.....[UOTE]

                  We are flat rate too. We do offer extra services if needed IE Video inspection. I dont like sell unneeded services. If your set up you should be able to handle most normal jobs for about the same amount of money each time plus travel. We have 30 days on our work. The only call backs we get are for clogs caused by broken pipe issue not solved by cleaning. . Paying guys the same no matter how long their there leads to piss poor work.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Almost

                    Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    What's your mini jetter set up? Is it electric or gas?

                    I've been thinking that a small electric jetter (like the KJ-1350) would be good for sink and laundry lines.

                    thanks,

                    chris
                    The mini jetter just works off house pressure . A choked down nozzle that blasts away.. I am interested in a real one though..Maybe I'll look into the real mini jetter..
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Almost

                      Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                      I can neither deny nor confirm being an old RR guy You are made to to rush because your on commission and you have to hit numbers or your hauled into the office. They hire way to many tech's and turn everyone of them into starving hungry wolves who have to pay for all their own cables, Van, Gas etc on top of being nickel and dime to death.
                      I'm happy to say being on my own I don't feel like I'm being rushed and have to use sneaky tactics to pay my bills. I know a lot of ex RR guy's who are on their own and never looked back!
                      do u get to take ur cables when u leave??

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Almost

                        Originally posted by LThompson View Post
                        do u get to take ur cables when u leave??

                        Took everything I paid for even the stickers on my van.
                        Cables I gave away to another tech.
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                        Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Almost

                          My buddy went to work for RR out here which is Corporate ran. The weeks he had to drive with the supervisor to be trained, was mostly to learn how to fill out the paper work and such. When it came to drain cleaning he was teaching the supervisor.

                          He noticed that guys with no drain cleaning experience or plumbing experience where joining up. Its no small wonder they get such a bad rap, these guys have to learn on the job. Of course lots of them learn the wrong way and fall into bad habits that is more profitable for them.

                          I went on a job where a gentleman asked me to give him a price on an outside clean out. RR was there and told him there was no way for them to properly rod his sewer and he needed a clean out. So as we walked into the house so he can show me his problem, I started to walk towards the basement door as he was heading to the staircase that leads upstairs. He said no the problem is up here. We enter his master bath and all he had wrong was a plugged shower. Got my Ro-Pump sucked out a huge hair ball. The guy was thrilled. I asked him did they even go in the basement? He said not at all. So we went down there and he had a clean out right in the floor by the foundation wall.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          Ron's Facebook
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Almost

                            its all about the person as I worked for RR Addison shop and I have never done any of those things said by others here I was trained many years back by a tech who is still there on drain cleaning and I comend him for that as he would never leave a house with a cloged drain until he opened it no matter what unless it was realy broke he has rodded RR out of digges and he loves his work now as for plumbing being I went back there last year I now know they only send LP on plumbing jobs it was an option if I wanted sewer acuipment and I took it more money. When I rodd a main sewer it was for a min of 3 times in and out and if I still pull roots then I am still going in
                            Last edited by post plumber; 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM.
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Almost

                              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              My buddy went to work for RR out here which is Corporate ran. The weeks he had to drive with the supervisor to be trained, was mostly to learn how to fill out the paper work and such. When it came to drain cleaning he was teaching the supervisor.

                              He noticed that guys with no drain cleaning experience or plumbing experience where joining up. Its no small wonder they get such a bad rap, these guys have to learn on the job. Of course lots of them learn the wrong way and fall into bad habits that is more profitable for them.

                              I went on a job where a gentleman asked me to give him a price on an outside clean out. RR was there and told him there was no way for them to properly rod his sewer and he needed a clean out. So as we walked into the house so he can show me his problem, I started to walk towards the basement door as he was heading to the staircase that leads upstairs. He said no the problem is up here. We enter his master bath and all he had wrong was a plugged shower. Got my Ro-Pump sucked out a huge hair ball. The guy was thrilled. I asked him did they even go in the basement? He said not at all. So we went down there and he had a clean out right in the floor by the foundation wall.

                              Thats how it was when I worked there...was teaching my supervisor how to do drain cleaning....
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                              Derek

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X