Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MicroReel Came Today....

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    What are you talking about making assumptions? I talking about screwing the sonde on a drain cable...sending it down the line and then locating it in the front yard etc etc so i can dig it up and install a cleanout. It should get me over the sonde and tell me how deep it is.
    It's the little things like you send out the sonde,locate it, then dig for your cleanout only to find there is another line branched in and you have to dig in a different spot. Having one is a lot better than not having one, but just picking up an old black and white camera with sonde might not be that much more than a new sonde. The cheapest ones to get are the Ridgid B/W flatpacks. I have bought a few for around $450-$600
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Rick I agree with you 100%, ever since we got our camera system 17+ years ago we hardly use the sondes that attach to the rods. Even for simple locates we use the camera.

Its nice to be able to see the exact problem area and pinpoint it with the built in sonde.
      This is not My trade, if it was ,I'd have that set up in a heartbeat ! Any says no, SOUR GRAPES !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have to agree with you. I have a camera because other plumbers pay me to use it. It would be way less expensive for me to hire a camera guy to video the few jobs of mine I needed it on. why spend 8000 to 10,000 when a sonde costs 450.00 If drain cleaning is a small part of your buisiness.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          This is not My trade, if it was ,I'd have that set up in a heartbeat ! Any says no, SOUR GRAPES !
          If being a drain cleaner was how I made my money I would have a camera,but its not.

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          I have to agree with you. I have a camera because other plumbers pay me to use it. It would be way less expensive for me to hire a camera guy to video the few jobs of mine I needed it on. why spend 8000 to 10,000 when a sonde costs 450.00 If drain cleaning is a small part of your buisiness.
          Exactly,it just doesn't make good business sense for me to have a camera but I would like to be able to locate various lines with a sonde and locator.
          I'm not the type of person that buys a piece of equipment just to say I have it.....if I dont use it on a regular basis then I'm not spending thousands on it.

I can buy a sonde and scout locator and do what I need to do and save about 4500.00 its a no brainer. But if the need ever comes up that I need to buy a camera I will have the locator and will have the cable sonde if for some reason I dont want to shove a 5,000.00 piece of equipment in a drain just to locate its direction of travel and how deep it is at the curb.

Plus a 100' camera is no good if you need 200'......get the picture? I'm not buying all of that because I dont need all of that. Part of being a successful business is knowing the differences between needs and wants......some people cant see that and spend money on equipment that sits in the corner. No thanks!
          Last edited by TheMaster; 01-29-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I only use the sonde attached to the cable if I'm in a deep line or can't get a good signal from the camera transmitter. The sonde seems to be much stronger than the cameras flexmitter.

Rick, you got an adapter for the 5/8" cable? I already have one for 7/8" That lil bugger is expensive.

Comment

save your money. a $20.00 tile probe will tell you where the pipe is and how deep it is too

a camera will tell you where the problem is and everything you could possibly need to know.

if you want a inexpensive camera to get you started, i'm sure i have many extras i can part with for under 2k.

or i have tile probes, water probes and drill bit probes from $20- $100.

locating the pipe and locating the problem are 2 different things. my cleanout installs are located with a camera to tell me where the cast to clay transition is, where the change of direction is, where the problem is, and where the city connection is along with the total distance.

not to mention a camera locate is much faster than a sonde locate.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                I already know whats wrong with the lines....its the 500 oak trees and clay pipe with cement joints. I just want to locate the sewer without using a probe. Some places the grounds hard or there are alot of undergrounds.

Plus if I ever do buy a camera i will have the locator.....so I'm only out the cost of the screw on sonde...big deal.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                save your money. a $20.00 tile probe will tell you where the pipe is and how deep it is too

a camera will tell you where the problem is and everything you could possibly need to know.

if you want a inexpensive camera to get you started, i'm sure i have many extras i can part with for under 2k.

locating the pipe and locating the problem are 2 different things. my cleanout installs are located with a camera to tell me where the cast to clay transition is, where the change of direction is, where the problem is, and where the city connection is along with the total distance.

rick.
                I have already addressed the probe locate...see my posted I quoted from the previous page in the thread.

You might need to keep your cameras because you need them or would not have bought them.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  I only use the sonde attached to the cable if I'm in a deep line or can't get a good signal from the camera transmitter. The sonde seems to be much stronger than the cameras flexmitter.

Rick, you got an adapter for the 5/8" cable? I already have one for 7/8" That lil bugger is expensive.
                  bill, it's been so long since i've used a sonde, that i don't own any adapters for a sectional

mine are for drums, pushrods, and tape on for jetters.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                    The last time I was at AJ Coleman he had a handful of SeeSnake Compacts. I was told that they are selling them at a good price.

In the past before we owned a camera we would locate a spot with our tape on Goldak locater, and install an outside clean out just so we can have proper access. When we got the camera, we now locate the exact trouble spot and replace that bad spot and install the outside clean out. People are much happier when you show them the problem with the camera.

I also have used the camera to check a sewer that a customer would ask me a price to replace. I show them their whole sewer which may or may not need replacing. There are a lot of salesmen out there selling whole sewer replacements when there is no need for it.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Will it go through a 3" P trap ?
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

yes it will. of course plastic is less drag than cast. water and soap help lube hard pushes. and the micro drain will too.

the micro reel will go through most toilets too.

but the most impressive feature is the ability to go through 1.5'' pvc pressure 90's and then be able to locate it

the pool industry is just starting to capitalize on this

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Master.... There is a camera near me that a local plumbing shop is selling they bought a new color unit and are selling there old B/W 325 ft fullsize with monitor no built in vcr they want $1900 but said they will take offers. PM me if it is something you are interested in.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I know a guy that has a full size camera..That thing is not happening. It could not even get through 4" sewers on several occasions..To many fittings etc..I would not buy a full size unit for what I do..just me though
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Why do I have an 1100 sq. ft carpentry weld shop.?
                              I can have subs do it ALL!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                                I know a guy that has a full size camera..That thing is not happening. It could not even get through 4" sewers on several occasions..To many fittings etc..I would not buy a full size unit for what I do..just me though
                                Wow I use the compact for most of my work because it is lighter to carry but sometimes it can not make the long or stubborn runs and then I use the fullsize. The fullsize has a stiffer cable and that's where it shines! 3" on up it rolls past bends with ease.
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X