X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is jetting worth it?

ratz. yes i did. sorry about that. my glasses are broken and i'm using drugstore readers until new ones arrive. that and i'm not always as attentive as i should be. lol. i saw it when i read his reply but didn't change it. if it offends you i will remove it. the rag really is the deal. breid..........................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
      ratz. yes i did. sorry about that. my glasses are broken and i'm using drugstore readers until new ones arrive. that and i'm not always as attentive as i should be. lol. i saw it when i read his reply but didn't change it. if it offends you i will remove it. the rag really is the deal. breid..........................
      Lol no offense. The rag has bailed me out many of times. Just used a rag taped on to a 6" cutter the other day. Its to cold for the jetter.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

If you are getting into pumping grease traps, then you want a jetter for sure. Here, one san district requires grease traps be pumped twice a year, the others don't monitor it and leave it to the retaraunts to do what they need.

Most of them wait until they have a problem to call. By then it is an enerergency; they can't wash dishes (or worse) and the system has been neglected for long enough that the trap and lines in and out are packed solid. Pumping the trap alone doesn't fix the problem at that point. You can get them open with a cable, but a jetter is so much better.

When they see the massive quantities of grease you are pulling out of the line they are made to understand that neglect is why they are having a problem and why this bill is going to be huge. And a pm program that can be done in daylight, at more resonable cost, when it does not disrupt their business, and is schedulable and bugetable starts to make a lot of sense to them.

Most just want to deal with one company; they start dry-heaving from the smell when I try to bring them over to explain what is going on and what they need and they really don't want to know anything about it except that it is going to be ok and it will cost $x and take y long. They have no interest in trying to remember what pumping is, what lines need cleaned, who does what, when each should be done, the phone numbers, etc. They just want to serve food. That's fine; I'll do all that for you. Here's the program I suggest for you.

Makes it easier on them if you can do that for them, and easier on you if you have the equipment and operators to keep the work in house.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
          that why i said to do the math. dairies. you talking about producers(farms) or processors(bottlers)? we have both here. breid..............
          Farms. Lot's of them and large operations too. Idaho is known for its potato production but the dairy industry is by far bigger here. I'm talking like the biggest dairyman in the world lives only about 30 miles away and is at around 80,000 cows. Lots of 3500 to 6500 cow dairies within 15 minutes of my shop.

Winter time is the best for dairy jetting. Cows come in the parlor with straw in their feet and plug the drains, straw, ice, and soupy manure clog corral drains, etc. It's a big market that I can't touch now, so if were looking at spending money on jetting equipment I don't want to ignore that.

There's one guy here who does most of what I do and he also does a lot of dairy jetting. This winter he was running while I was sitting at the house. I don't even consider him a competitor because we work together more than we compete, so I wouldn't step on his toes to save my life. However, he can't do it all and whatever he can't get I have no problem going after.

I'm thinking if I get set up I can concentrate on grease and he can concentrate on dairies and we can go back and forth (like we have been) to both be more efficient and profitable, as long as I get the right equipment to do the job.

That brings me back to the start. I know the work's out there, but I personally haven't turned enough down to pay for the equipment. I also know that you can't sell eggs out of an empty basket. Jetter owners, in your experience, did you gain more work than you expected or less when you took the plunge?

Comment

I have a feeling "jetting vs cabling" is going to be the next "drum vs sectional"....
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

to be honest, anyone can afford a small jetter and therefore the work can be done by most. not necessarily done properly as jetting techniques, nozzles and specs vary. but only the few can do the serious jetting.

so if you do get into jetting, keep in mind the bigger outlay of money for equipment will typically bring in the bigger jobs and paychecks.

my big trailer now gets more use than all my other jetters combined.

a dairy would most likely require more flow to keep the crap moving.

a large jetter can be turned down for smaller lines and flows, but a small jetter can't be turned up for the big stuff.

75% of my income now comes from drain cleaning and drain related services. 25% is from true plumbing. 10 years ago the numbers were reversed and then some.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                i have a feeling "jetting vs cabling" is going to be the next "drum vs sectional"....

drums. :d
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

In answer to the question, Yes The work comes after you have the jetter as you will seek it out and when you get known for the equipment the jobs come to you. There will be jobs you could have cabled but the jetter does a faster better job = more money!
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
                    Jetter owners, in your experience, did you gain more work than you expected or less when you took the plunge?

there was no plunge here. we at ~9600', with ~8-9 mo/yr of below freezing temps at night, and a huge amount of second homes that spend most of their time unoccupied. most clogged services here are frozen services. I show up with a cable and 70% of the time it's going to be 'uh, it's frozen... call this guy.'

I dabbled in grease trap pumping, with a drum head vac, etc. Had maybe 20 traps inside of a year just trying it out. I hate it, don't want to do it, and have a good pumper guy who can do that part and I'll do the jetting. When he finally gets over it, I'll have to buy his truck. I mention it only to show you... Had 20 traps inside a year just messing around.

Lookit... a 5.5/4k jetter and accessories is like maybe a $6k investment. just not that much. You want one. Go get one.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I like Jetting when customer doesn't have the money to replace the line.(mainline). I love it for cleaning a sewer if i am going to reline it. I have a root cutter for it that gets it done. I think there is alot less chance of getting the jetter hung up in heavy roots than there is with a cable.

Comment

I've always wanted to expand into jetting, but don't have the experience yet to jump right into it. I've been doing doing a lot of researching on jetting, but I can do all the reading I want, it doesn't replace hands on experience needed to do the job right.

The other thing for me is...it gets below freezing where I live.

With all of this said...I had to pass on jobs because I didn't have a jetter.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                          I like Jetting when customer doesn't have the money to replace the line.(mainline). I love it for cleaning a sewer if i am going to reline it. I have a root cutter for it that gets it done. I think there is alot less chance of getting the jetter hung up in heavy roots than there is with a cable.
                          Hi Taddeeper

what root cutter do you have and what machine do you use it with.

I have a 4gpm/ 4kpsi pressurewasher and got a conversion kit with 1/4 hose.
                          I have a rotating nozzle that does a good job at breaking grease down and out the pipe.

I heard that a 4gpm machine will not have enough power to operate a root cutting nozzle. is that true????
                          Last edited by dhdc; 01-31-2011, 11:16 PM. Reason: subscribe

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
                            Hi Taddeeper

what root cutter do you have and what machine do you use it with.

I have a 4gpm/ 4kpsi pressurewasher and got a conversion kit with 1/4 hose.
                            I have a rotating nozzle that does a good job at breaking grease down and out the pipe.

I heard that a 4gpm machine will not have enough power to operate a root cutting nozzle. is that true????
                            get the ridgid root ranger and you'll have the most bang for the buck with that setup.

there are lots of post and photos of the root ranger and for a few hundred dollars, you'll destroy the roots. takes some work with the proper technique, but it will work excellent.

do a search for the root ranger and then ask more questions.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

^^^ thank you Rick

I am new to draincleaning and have only done 3 jobs so far using the machines below

-K45af
                              -K400

I just got a jetter conv kit to use with my 4gpm and had one job for my jetter under my belt. My goal is to get contracts using my jetter to maintain the sewer mains of apt buildings.I hear it can be very profitable if you get enough contracts.

I was afraid that my 4gpm would not have enough power to break roots but if you say so I will go ahead and buy that root ranger.

what do you think of the warthog...I see they make a nozzle for a 1/4 hose at this website http://www.jettersnorthwest.com/html...r_nozzles.html

#SA.WV- 1/4" Nozzle - NEW for 2"- 4"

Comment

[QUOTE=Ace Sewer;329923]Lookit... a 5.5/4k jetter and accessories is like maybe a $6k investment. just not that much. You want one. Go get one.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to tell me that I want one, LOL! I live with that!

Comment

Working...
                                X