Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is jetting worth it?

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
    ^^^ thank you Rick

I am new to draincleaning and have only done 3 jobs so far using the machines below

-K45af
    -K400

I just got a jetter conv kit to use with my 4gpm and had one job for my jetter under my belt. My goal is to get contracts using my jetter to maintain the sewer mains of apt buildings.I hear it can be very profitable if you get enough contracts.

I was afraid that my 4gpm would not have enough power to break roots but if you say so I will go ahead and buy that root ranger.

what do you think of the warthog...I see they make a nozzle for a 1/4 hose at this website http://www.jettersnorthwest.com/html...r_nozzles.html

#SA.WV- 1/4" Nozzle - NEW for 2"- 4"
    i don't own the 1/4'' warthog, but it's a high speed spinner. not the traditional slow speed cutter.

the root ranger now has a forward nozzle that will help cut out a stoppage to allow the rear jet to destroy the roots.

if the line is fully root plugged, it's best to snake it to get it flowing then attack it with the root ranger. of course with a camera, you'll be abe to dial in the cutter to the root problem. the rr requires you to twist the hose to get the top of the pipe. a pretty simple process with smaller hoses.

with only 4gpm, the rr is about your only root cutter option. and with some practice, you'll be able to eat those roots up.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
      OK, I'm getting closer to taking the plunge into jetting, and I just have a few qualms about whether the work is really out there. Is there anyone out there who has purchased a jetter who doesn't think it was worth it? I'm not talking about little electric jets, I mean carts on the 5.5 @ 3500 on up to trailer jets at 18 and 4000 psi.

It seems like nearly everyone who has decent jetting equipment feels like it was a positive step. I'm looking for anyone who says it's not profitable, and why.

Everyone chime in please, jetting fans and enemies alike.
      It has to do with areas in my opinion. The demand for it. The market for it.

For my area it is not a wise decision currently to own small or large jetter equipment.

Look at your area, the demand, market, and direction of your business.

I'd decide based on that. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Hi Rick, Im sure you may know this so I will try asking...

my pressure washer does not pulsate, I was thinking to buy this device (http://www.amazingmachinery.com/Plum...tionvalve.html)

but i heard that I could remove the nut on the bottom middle piston of my pump and it will achieve the same effect. have u tried that before?

also, to get back on topic of this thread title...for jetting lines, is $13 a foot a reasonable rate??

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
          Hi Rick, Im sure you may know this so I will try asking...

my pressure washer does not pulsate, I was thinking to buy this device (http://www.amazingmachinery.com/Plum...tionvalve.html)

but i heard that I could remove the nut on the bottom middle piston of my pump and it will achieve the same effect. have u tried that before?

also, to get back on topic of this thread title...for jetting lines, is $13 a foot a reasonable rate??

the nut/ check valve cap on the low pressure side of the pump is what the pulsation valve replaces.

on my very first electric jetter i built. i drilled and tapped my valve cap and added a ball valve to circulate the water back into the unloader.

this is a better method than using the pulsation valve.

but for $69.00 you're done with a simple 5 minute bolt in kit.

as far as $13.00 a foot, i think you're way off

no customer with any smarts will fork over that kind of money on a line more than 20-25'. think about it. it's not unusual for me to jet 100'- 300' with a $40k machine.

just like my cable machines, i charge a machine charge and an hourly charge. on my big trailer jetter, it's a 2 hour minimum. this covers me for the cost associated in towing to and from.

i would seriously rethink your pricing format as i can't see anyone paying those kind of numbers for jetting. how do you charge for snaking a line?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I can't see someone wanting to pay $13/foot or any per foot rate for that matter. I could be wrong but most people would rather pay a flat or hourly rate rather than a price per foot.
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I cant see charging by the foot with a small jetter. What happens if the line is only 30 feet. City work is charged by the foot. Then large runs like 500 feet are done at crack. Those are 100K plus machines and there only getting a buck or less a foot. A small jetter around here is bringing around hundred an hour. Jetting isnt a lic to print money. A small jetter may only go 100 ft. At 14 bucks a foot a standard job would cost 1400.00. A typical jetting job for us would cost a quarter of that or less. You arent going to get much repeat business with high rates. The local pressure washer guys are at eighty bucks an hour with the same equipment. Rome wasnt build in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                I can't see someone wanting to pay $13/foot or any per foot rate for that matter. I could be wrong but most people would rather pay a flat or hourly rate rather than a price per foot.
                aram, i was doing diaper duty at 3:42 am

you should be keeping your avatar warm at 3:48 am

had i know you were up we could have done breakfast

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

well i got a call from a cust asking what I would charge to jet his 45 foot line.
                  He said he got a quote from another company at $600.

45/ 600 = $13 per foot

I hadnt got my jetter back then so I told him I couldnt bid.
                  I guess that is insane pricing according to the feedback you guys have given.

I do charge by the machine when I snake drains so it makes sense to use the same method when pricing jetter work.

thx for the feedback guys

Comment

I could see the $600.00 with a 2 or 3 hour minimum and or with a camera inspection after?

what size line was it ?
                    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                    1-920-284-7471

Comment

Hi Mike, I looked at your website and it looks like you can carry alot of equipment in that van you have. I like the slogan.

It was a 3" main from the house to the street.
                      Im not sure if the 600 included camera work but it would make more sense at that price.

Comment

Ii charge $599 for a single line inside the house and $1299 for a mainline no matter how long it is. my price also includes camera, cable, and generally a 5 year warranty. warranty is limited. and before rick says my prices are too high, I keep 2 guys busy all the time doing nothing but jet work.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                          Ii charge $599 for a single line inside the house and $1299 for a mainline no matter how long it is. my price also includes camera, cable, and generally a 5 year warranty. warranty is limited. and before rick says my prices are too high, I keep 2 guys busy all the time doing nothing but jet work.
                          ok, i won't say it as you already did

what you have to realize is that most customers don't make that kind of money in a week. yet with the right machine, it's a 2 hour job for 1 man.
                          now i don't know how limited your warranty is, but out here roots grow back 2 times a year and i can see some lines lasting 2 years with roots, but never 5 years as mother nature rules over this.

600 is more than what i get towing a $40,000 machine to and from the job with 2 hours and a root cutting nozzle.

i guess beverly hills doesn't pay like it use to

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm moving to Cincinnatti, take all your work at half price. Except I'm not, because you lie.

Even in the long shot circumstance that you do keep two guys busy at those rates, just what is this post supposed to be about?

Are you bragging? That you steal and get away with it? When did getting away with bilking customers become something to brag about?

What could possibly justify that pricing? Because you can? I know Cincitucky a little. Don't think it possible. And know it possible to do good work profitably at much lower prices. Either you lie, or you steal. Nice post.
                            Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-02-2011, 12:36 AM.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have done alot of dairy lines from 4" - 24". It really depends on the size of the line on what size jetter you need. Most of the lines are in the 12" range and I highly recommend something in the 16 gpm range. Most of the lines I do go from the lagoon/pond to the barn. When the line gets open there is already so much head pressure from building up in the barn that when it lets loose it goes and you better watch. After that one more pass with the jetter and your done. It does make you money. Jobs range from $350 to $1000 easy.

Comment

Farm work is much work than any thing else. Yesterday we cleaned the water off the top of a reception pit at a large dairy. Its hard on hoses. Everything needs to be cleaned when your done. You use a ton of water. There are line 24 inches filled with beding sand no small jetter will work there.

If you really want to do farm work I think a used jetter truck is the way to go. There cheaper than a trailer and put out the number you need for that type of work. We sub out anything bigger than ten inch. We still get our vac truck on those jobs to haul water.

Comment

Working...
                                X