X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is jetting worth it?

OK, I'm getting closer to taking the plunge into jetting, and I just have a few qualms about whether the work is really out there. Is there anyone out there who has purchased a jetter who doesn't think it was worth it? I'm not talking about little electric jets, I mean carts on the 5.5 @ 3500 on up to trailer jets at 18 and 4000 psi.

It seems like nearly everyone who has decent jetting equipment feels like it was a positive step. I'm looking for anyone who says it's not profitable, and why.

Everyone chime in please, jetting fans and enemies alike.

Re: Is jetting worth it?

i have all the above and then some.

as long as you can keep it working and know how to work on it. you're a step up.

the bigger jetters get the bigger prices and bigger maintenance cost.

my very first jetter was a home built 2 hp electric jetter back in the late 80's i still have it and it still works.

my most recent is my us jetter and as long as i do multiple jobs at a time, i have no problem taking it out of the shop for the day. 1 job back and forth is not as good as 2 or 3 jobs.

you need to establish your jetting customers before you spend big money on a glorified pressure washer

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have a converted pressure washer that cost me next to nothing to put together, so if I only use it once in a while, it doesn't matter. Jetting works great on drainfields that are sludged up. You can bring alot of them back to life with a jetter. I think I would look for a good used pressure washer and start like I did.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I don't get much calls for jetting but I do get frozen sewer calls here and there during the winter. Looking to convert a pressure washer. saw a ridgid pressure washer 3800 psi @ 4gpm maybe get a hot box to use hot water whole thing will run about $3,500with foot valve, 50 foot jumper hose That's much less than a basic small jetter The small sewer cart jetters are way over priced $4,500-$8000 LOL
        Last edited by UnClogNH; 01-28-2011, 01:59 PM.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Which is better for repeat business?

Cabling?

Jetting?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Which is better for repeat business?

Cabling?

Jetting?

J.C.
            Grease lines--Jetting
            Sewers--Cabling
            In my opinion....
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

best for repeat business; do a quality job at a fair price whatever equipment you choose.

putting something into a line every month to open it but not get it reliably working is not, in my mind, good repeat business; it is embarrassing.

cleaning a line preventatively because of known problems and eliminating unscheduled emergencies has value for a customer, and if that is enough to warrant the cost of the pm for them, then that is good repeat business.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Around here I could have used one once in the last 11 months. A company wanted the powder buildup blasted out of some pipes. I'll probably never get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                  I have a converted pressure washer that cost me next to nothing to put together, so if I only use it once in a while, it doesn't matter. Jetting works great on drainfields that are sludged up. You can bring alot of them back to life with a jetter. I think I would look for a good used pressure washer and start like I did.
                  I did the same thing...because I only jet like 4 lines a year I couldn't justify the cost of buying a jetter...works great...I think the biggest cost was the jet heads...
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Jetting has increased my business tremendously!

Word of mouth spreads fast when you have a jetter that can get results. Even other plumbers call / subconctract me to do some jetting for them

Comment

is there any money in your market for one

how many legit calls have you had in the last year? write that down i don't need to know. your only looking at jet calls that you could not do with your cables. do the math. i do not buy any equipment that will not pay for itself in 6 months. just me. there has to be a payoff here for you. you will have to figure it out yourself. one of the reasons that i don't have a jetter is the winter hassle. freeze ups. the other is that can and do function quite well without one. grease i use the rag as you told me. i can honestly say that i have not lost one job because i do not have a jetter. knock on wood. breid...........

Comment

Re: is there any money in your market for one

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                        i do not buy any equipment that will not pay for itself in 6 months.

Comment

how many legit calls have you had in the last year? write that down i don't need to know. your only looking at jet calls that you could not do with your cables. do the math. i do not buy any equipment that will not pay for itself in 6 months. just me. there has to be a payoff here for you. you will have to figure it out yourself. one of the reasons that i don't have a jetter is the winter hassle. freeze ups. the other is that can and do function quite well without one. grease i use the rag as you told me. i can honestly say that i have not lost one job because i do not have a jetter. knock on wood. breid...........

I've been doing that for a year now and have a very accurate count of how many jobs we lost by not having a jet (we subbed these out), how many jobs we could have sold an additional jet service (positively, not hopefully, such as when we pump a septic and see sludge in the line that should be removed), and how many of our cable jobs we would have done quicker, better, or more efficiently with a jet (no dollar amount shown on these, just a count). Added up these jobs would never pay for a jet. However, if we had used that logic back when we bought a septic pumper we would have never bought one because in the six years previous we only had four tanks that we needed pumped when we were installing a system. We pumped around 100 tanks the first year, so obviously you can sell more if you have the equipment.

We are getting into pumping restaurant grease traps and they all have their lines jetted once a year (PM). I would like to keep that work in-house if possible. Also, this will be foreign to you city guys, but our biggest industry here is dairies. They use jetters a lot but decent-sized trailer jets at a minimum. That's a whole market we can't touch at this point, but a decent jetter would open it up for us.

That's my dilemma.

Comment

that why i said to do the math. dairies. you talking about producers(farms) or processors(bottlers)? we have both here. breid..............

Comment

Breid do not get this SewerRat mixed up with me. lol
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X