Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: License to drain clean!!

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
    Just to clarify Ron's statement, the City of Chicago requires a drain layer's license as well as pelota for rodding. Most suburbs do not require either a license or a permit for rodding. However, some suburbs will do rodding for home owners. Downers Grove, Il for example takes over 10 after the sewer leaves the house and will rod mains and make repairs at little or no cost to the homeowner.
    I did not know that about Downers Grove. I just seen either a Cicero or a Berwyn Municipal truck all lettered up stating Resident rail sewer cleaning. Can't recall which it was, I saw it while driving down Roosevelt Road from Chicago to La Grange.

It really ticks me off that lots of these cities that offer main line cleaning services are taking work away from us. How can we compete? The city of Addison was charging 45 bucks to rod a main line.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      The potential for a unsanitary condition are way too high to not require some form of licencing and qualifications.

Mark
      Licensing maybe but not a permit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Licensing maybe but not a permit.
        I don't have a problem with permit fees for drain cleaning. All a permit fee is is a way for municipality to fund an operation at the source. I'm sure a place like Chicago with it's combined sewers is a lot more problematic than most. It also would give the municipality a better handle on who may have damaged the system.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't know man, getting a little tired of all the licensing/permitting without enforcement towards the unlicensed. Becoming just more fees & trouble for people trying to do things right.

Won't be long and you'll need a jetter license in conjunction with a backflow tester license to make sure you have the knowledge not to get in a backsiphon situation with a jetter.

Then if you miss one thing they can hang your azz 'cause you were licensed and supposed to know better.

And the unlicensed just keeps cashing checks.....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I don't know man, getting a little tired of all the licensing/permitting without enforcement towards the unlicensed. Becoming just more fees & trouble for people trying to do things right.

Won't be long and you'll need a jetter license in conjunction with a backflow tester license to make sure you have the knowledge not to get in a backsiphon situation with a jetter.

Then if you miss one thing they can hang your azz 'cause you were licensed and supposed to know better.

And the unlicensed just keeps cashing checks.....

J.C.
            Exactly,I can have a plumbing license for 20 years but I need a guy who doesn't know his azz from a hole in the ground come out from a city and tell me what he thinks I did wrong and hafta defend myself against it....and 3 years ago he was stocking soup at the grocery store up the street from me. Pizz on them.

Comment

Here you do not need a drain cleaning license if you are a master plumber.BUT you can operate just a drain cleaning business with a drain cleaning license..I wonder if there is even a test ..With the drain cleaning license the only plumbing you are able to do is pull/ reset a toilet and disconnect traps etc...That's it, no plumbing other than that..BUT I am sure that there are many drain cleaning co's. that take on a ton of plumbing jobs once they get their foot in the customers door... Happens every day
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Here you do not need a drain cleaning license if you are a master plumber.BUT you can operate just a drain cleaning business with a drain cleaning license..I wonder if there is even a test ..With the drain cleaning license the only plumbing you are able to do is pull/ reset a toilet and disconnect traps etc...That's it, no plumbing other than that..BUT I am sure that there are many drain cleaning co's. that take on a ton of plumbing jobs once they get their foot in the customers door... Happens every day
                I dont have a problem with requiring drain cleaning co. to have a drain cleaner license with a test. I would fully support that. I feel they should be able to replace traps and remove/reinstall a toilet if they need to as a necessary action to clean the line. The test would insure they understood about traps and fixture waste and water supply connections.
                I dont think a permit should be required,that just makes the job tha much more expensive for the homeowner. A classic example of how goverment claims to be protecting but in reality they are only checkng up on the ones who volunteer to buy the permit. Theres no sewer cleaning patrol 24/7 looking for people cleaning drains and if they were all they would hafta do is check the newspaper and craigslist. Sure every now and then you hear of a sting type operation but for the most part there is no enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  I did not know that about Downers Grove. I just seen either a Cicero or a Berwyn Municipal truck all lettered up stating Resident rail sewer cleaning. Can't recall which it was, I saw it while driving down Roosevelt Road from Chicago to La Grange.

It really ticks me off that lots of these cities that offer main line cleaning services are taking work away from us. How can we compete? The city of Addison was charging 45 bucks to rod a main line.
                  It's Cicero that does the mainline cleaning. Cicero's sewers have been a nightmare for 50+ years. The mains are undersized (especially for a combined system). Berwyn doesn't offer a main line cleaning service but they will sometimes come out to verify if a line has problems past the property line. They do have the strictest code enforcement in the West Suburbs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    It's Cicero that does the mainline cleaning. Cicero's sewers have been a nightmare for 50+ years. The mains are undersized (especially for a combined system). Berwyn doesn't offer a main line cleaning service but they will sometimes come out to verify if a line has problems past the property line. They do have the strictest code enforcement in the West Suburbs though.
                    If the city is so worried about things being proper for the people of the city,then why dont they replace their sewers so they wont be undersized?
                    Maybe it costs too much money? Well there you have it...its all about money.

Comment

In My area there is a drain cleaner that
                      #1 has 2 fairly new and beautifully lettered ford vans
                      #2 has His Co + personal name on them
                      #3 signage advertises drain work AND complete plumbing repairs
                      Checked with Ca license board Under Personal name and Buss.
                      name. NO LICENSE !!! No I didn't bust Him.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would've busted his a$$ so fast it would have made his head spin. I have no problem with competion. He'll it's good for the end consumer in every business. It just needs to be fair competion across the board.

Comment

Working...
                        X