X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License to drain clean!!

I thinking about picking up drain cleaning as a full time job on my own. Do you need to have a master plumber license to touch drains....
    Last edited by Snakeking; 01-28-2011, 10:57 PM.

Re: License to drain clean!!

In Chicago you need a Drain Layers License to rod main sewers. You also need to call city hall and inform them you are going to rod a main sewer on a property so they can issue you an over the phone permit and give you the stub location.

I do not know what the requirements are in your state though...sorry.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      In Chicago you need a Drain Layers License to rod main sewers. You also need to call city hall and inform them you are going to rod a main sewer on a property so they can issue you an over the phone permit and give you the stub location.

You've got to take a permit out to clear a main sewer? What's the cost of that? What if it's after hours or the weekend?
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        You've got to take a permit out to clear a main sewer? What's the cost of that? What if it's after hours or the weekend?
        It used to be a saw buck, now they want 25 bucks. If it is after hours you just call during the next business day and pull the permit. There is no inspections. Its more for record keeping, they keep records of when and how often the line has been rodded. Also if you run into troubles out in the right of way you are supposed to call them and an inspector comes out and witnesses the rodding and televising of the line.

Its been that way for a very long time. Now a plumber can not do a main line unless he holds a Drain Layers License.

Comment

Money grab

Comment

It used to be a saw buck, now they want 25 bucks. If it is after hours you just call during the next business day and pull the permit. There is no inspections. Its more for record keeping, they keep records of when and how often the line has been rodded. Also if you run into troubles out in the right of way you are supposed to call them and an inspector comes out and witnesses the rodding and televising of the line.

Its been that way for a very long time. Now a plumber can not do a main line unless he holds a Drain Layers License.
            You've often quoted your rates here. Is this permit fee included in that? In your opinion, do most companies abide by this law?
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

You've often quoted your rates here. Is this permit fee included in that? In your opinion, do most companies abide by this law?
              The drain cleaning permit is included with our rates. And yes most companies do abide to the law. 25 bucks is not much to pay to know where the exact location of the stub and prior history of the buildings main line cleaning. Its been like this ever since I can remember. One thing to realize you do not need to go to city hall to get the permit, you just call and they give you the information and log your information and send you the bill.

Its a way to ensure that people are getting someone that is qualified out to clear the main. You have to take a test to get the Sewer & Drain Layers license, also need to have insurance and be bonded as well.

Comment

So how does a $49.99 drain company make money there Ron lol
                I guess when they hear about getting a permit Their out of there
                Last edited by UnClogNH; 01-29-2011, 12:10 AM.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

That's crazy stuff...but I do understand the concept...do you feel you ever lose any business because your prices would have to be a little higher than people who don't pull the permit? How many sewers do you do in a day and man who is pulling all those permits? I mean I average like 4 sewers a day...seems like I would spend more time pulling permits....
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                    That's crazy stuff...but I do understand the concept...do you feel you ever lose any business because your prices would have to be a little higher than people who don't pull the permit? How many sewers do you do in a day and man who is pulling all those permits? I mean I average like 4 sewers a day...seems like I would spend more time pulling permits....
                    As I said to pull the permit it's just a phone call. The office calls in the permits. We average a couple mains a day. As to our rates they are not any higher due to the need to spend 25 bucks. To rod a main. We do not lose any calls by calling the permit, and when the property owner has major sewer problems, they are very happy we got the rodding permit.

Comment

I have mixed feelings on this one.

I absolutely agree on having a qualified person cleaning a sewer drain. I understand the City charging for a license. But the other side of me would want no parts of helping the city bail itself out of it's financial mess by tacking on $25.00 per drain.

Sorry I think it's absurd, and feel for you guys out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        I have mixed feelings on this one.

I absolutely agree on having a qualified person cleaning a sewer drain. I understand the City charging for a license. But the other side of me would want no parts of helping the city bail itself out of it's financial mess by tacking on $25.00 per drain.

Sorry I think it's absurd, and feel for you guys out there.
                        They been charging this permit fee for well over 40 years. My father had the Sewer and Drain Layers License before I was born. I do not think they where in as much of a financial mess back then.

Comment

The potential for a unsanitary condition are way too high to not require some form of licencing and qualifications.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i'm a master plumber, a licensed electrician and a drain cleaner. dc pays 2 or 3 times more and no license required. no permit, nothing at all. breid...................

Comment

Just to clarify Ron's statement, the City of Chicago requires a drain layer's license as well as permit for rodding. Most suburbs do not require either a license or a permit for rodding. However, some suburbs will do rodding for home owners. Downers Grove, Il for example takes over 10 after the sewer leaves the house and will rod mains and make repairs at little or no cost to the homeowner.

sorry for the spelling. First post from my iphone!
                              Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 01-30-2011, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X