Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

2" coupling in a 3" pipe

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

    Didn't schedule anything today as I had a DR's appointment this AM.
    That left the afternoon for any emergencies and one came in at 7;30 am.

    84mi away, close to the Canadian Boarder but it was a slow day anyway so what the heck.

    Only real problem was the van only made it 77mi and lost oil pressure. Let it sit a bit and it came out of it for a 1/2 mi. then back to zero.
    Pulled it off the road into in ol' boys yard. He let me use the phone to call the customer (no cell service).

    Customer, Joe picked us, the camera, and some snake up and brought us to the job. Lake Parlin Lodge, nice place, good people. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-P...1349617?v=info . If your planning a snowmobile trip or a quiet family vacation in Maine, check them out.

    Pretty much just recently opened up and last Saturday they where swamped when the womens BR backed up.

    He owns a K-7500 and tried and tried. water would go down but back up as soon as they added more.

    I suspected an offset or back pitch packed with soft pack, especially when I noticed no cutters where used on the cable.

    Put the camera in and found soft pack at 7 1/2'. Pushed a hole through.
    Back and forth with the cam while running water, cleaned the walls good.
    Noticed a kind of odd fitting and checked out the rest of the pipe. No other problems noted.


    Went back to clog area for a closer look. Now what looked like an odd fitting is now looking very strange. Run a bunch more water and start seeing what kind of looks like..?..like...? like..."hey did I just see that move"? What the he11, thats a 2" coupling in a 3" pipe wedged in a 90.

    From flange to clog. 2 90's and a wye.

    So how did we get it out????????????????????????????

    Edith and 1 1/4" cable with heavy duty C cutter (one side bent flat) to break it to pieces?

    Jackhammer?

    2" blow bag inserted into coupling, expanded, and pulling?

    Electric fish tape?

    Ricks reverse auger trick?

    4 brains, Yankee ingenuity, a chain, fish tape, fiber glass rod, electrical tape, 2 nuts, 2 washers, and threaded rod?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

  • #2
    Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

    It sounds like your gonna have to dig it up, You will never get it out, cheaper too to dig it up. I once had a knock out from a toilet flange, no snake will break it up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

      Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      Didn't schedule anything today as I had a DR's appointment this AM.
      That left the afternoon for any emergencies and one came in at 7;30 am.

      84mi away, close to the Canadian Boarder but it was a slow day anyway so what the heck.

      Only real problem was the van only made it 77mi and lost oil pressure. Let it sit a bit and it came out of it for a 1/2 mi. then back to zero.
      Pulled it off the road into in ol' boys yard. He let me use the phone to call the customer (no cell service).

      Customer, Joe picked us, the camera, and some snake up and brought us to the job. Lake Parlin Lodge, nice place, good people. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-P...1349617?v=info . If your planning a snowmobile trip or a quiet family vacation in Maine, check them out.

      Pretty much just recently opened up and last Saturday they where swamped when the womens BR backed up.

      He owns a K-7500 and tried and tried. water would go down but back up as soon as they added more.

      I suspected an offset or back pitch packed with soft pack, especially when I noticed no cutters where used on the cable.

      Put the camera in and found soft pack at 7 1/2'. Pushed a hole through.
      Back and forth with the cam while running water, cleaned the walls good.
      Noticed a kind of odd fitting and checked out the rest of the pipe. No other problems noted.


      Went back to clog area for a closer look. Now what looked like an odd fitting is now looking very strange. Run a bunch more water and start seeing what kind of looks like..?..like...? like..."hey did I just see that move"? What the he11, thats a 2" coupling in a 3" pipe wedged in a 90.

      From flange to clog. 2 90's and a wye.

      So how did we get it out????????????????????????????

      Edith and 1 1/4" cable with heavy duty C cutter (one side bent flat) to break it to pieces?

      Jackhammer?

      2" blow bag inserted into coupling, expanded, and pulling?

      Electric fish tape?

      Ricks reverse auger trick?

      4 brains, Yankee ingenuity, a chain, fish tape, fiber glass rod, electrical tape, 2 nuts, 2 washers, and threaded rod?
      i like the blow bag idea. but that requires a camera to get it pushed into the coupling and a little luck.

      i think a good jetter will also wash it back towards you too.

      doubt the reverse auger will work on this one.

      make sure you put it on film and document it.

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

        Can a 2" coupling wedge in a 3" 90? Guess it can.

        I'm thinking big funnel auger. Heat and bend as necessary.

        Just don't use a Ridgid one.


        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

          Sorry, to me a camera is a given.
          camera was or would have been used in every scenario.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

            I'd give the blow bag a try. Might have to make a little centering guide to give it lift into the bullseye. Maybe go through, blow up some, then pull.


            J.C.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

              Half cutter down the drain with a 2' leader, attach a nylon string to the end, don't spin the cable in the drain (you know that since the camera is your vision in there) and when you thread the end of that cable through coupling, pull back the string to keep the cable attachment dragging the walls of the pipe back to you.

              That means keeping tension on the string the same time you're pulling back the cable.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                A 2" coupling in a 3" pipe leaves about a 1/4" to play (1/8" each side) Not including the tits on the outside.

                A 2" coupling in a 3" 90 leaves about zero room to play with. Try it out some time. Then bell it and try it out. Going from pipe to fitting, not as bad. Going from fitting to pipe.....well, just try it out.

                We where able to lodge it free from the last 90 it was wedged in by hooking it with a fish tape just right and pulling. It pulled through the pipe quite easily.

                Then we came to the first 90 that we had to go all the way through. No go with just the fish tape. It was such a tight fit anyway and hooking it with the tape on just one side only compounded the the problem.

                After many plans and failed attempts Yankee ingenuity prevailed.

                We ended up using parts of 4 peoples ideas and combining them into one hideous looking but effective contraption.

                3/16" chain. 1/4" threaded rod ever so slightly shorter then the 3" ID.

                Bolted the rod so empty end link was in the center.

                Very lightly taped one end of the rod to the fish tape. In a way that the rod would enter the pipe length wise.

                Pushed the rod and chain through the coupling with the fish tape.

                Once through, shook the heck out of the chain while pushing/pulling the fish tape to release the rod. Once the rod was released, pulling on the chain caused the rod to turn width wise (is that even a term) so it would catch each side of the coupling somewhat evenly.

                I think the rod could have been just a bit longer as we lost the "bite" several times and had to pull everything out and re-tape and start over at it's last "stuck" point.

                I wasn't paying close attention to the time, but I think it took about 4hrs from the time we put the camera in till' Candy reached in and pulled the coupling out.

                The thing that sucks the most about all this is I have no video as the Gen-Eye is down so we are using our back up cam, and no photos as our pic camera was 7mi away in the broke down van.

                I think this is the most challenging job we have done to date. In the beginning, when I realized what was going on, I thought for sure this job was going to involve a jackhammer, but it turns out Joe is just as tenacious as Candy and I, and the last thing he wanted was to start jackhammering in his brand new lodge.

                I wish I alone could claim victory on this one, but in no way could I do that, all 4 of us get to share in this VICTORY.
                Last edited by Gene Bickford; 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                  I nominated this thread because of the ingenuity and the "stick to it"ness you showed to complete the job without tearing the place up. Good work!
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                    Pack the line with ice for a few hours then take the biggest baddest machine and sharpest cutter you have and shatter it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                      Gene awsome job gettomg that fitting out. Yea its sad no pictures though.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                        Have you done this before?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                          Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                          I nominated this thread because of the ingenuity and the "stick to it"ness you showed to complete the job without tearing the place up. Good work!
                          It was so good to work for/with someone that shares the same "stick to it" ness as Candy and I.

                          We've had a few customers that "gave up" before I feel we have exhausted all avenues, and I hate that. It leaves me with so many 'what if's' it drives me nuts.

                          Joe on the other hand is as tenacious as us.

                          At a certain point for me the job stops being a job and becomes a challenge, almost game like, and that is what I do this for......well, that and all the millions $$$$$$$$$
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                            Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                            Have you done this before?
                            Nope!
                            How often do you expect to see a 2" coupling in a 3" pipe?

                            It had to be during construction. No way that coupling fell in and ended up where it was.

                            I would hope a Plumber wouldn't drop that and just think 'oh well, I can't find it next to my open pipe' and walk away. Disgruntled Electrician/sheet Rocker etc. setting the Plumber up ?

                            I don't think I'll ever see it again, but if I do, I'll be sure to use my best cop voice and say "don't be alarmed folks! drop the jackhammer and step away from the drain"
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 2" coupling in a 3" pipe

                              Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Pack the line with ice for a few hours then take the biggest baddest machine and sharpest cutter you have and shatter it.
                              I was saving the flattened C cutter idea as a last resort.
                              I was thinking if we flattened one side out I could get that side between the coupling and the pipe and crank the he11 out of Edith and the cable and break the coupling. Biggest concern was breaking the host pipe also?????

                              I'm still wondering if that would have worked. It leaves me wondering "can I break a 2" coupling with a heavy duty C cutter"???

                              I may never again need that information, but I would like to know.
                              Part of me thinks it would work, and another part of me thinks 'damn, Edith is a tuff ol' gal, but thats asking a lot'........
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X