X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of mouth.

After looking at all work and price shoppers we got out of the yellowpages. I think I'm done. I think word of mouth, plumber referals and repeats. The cost of the all the books is nuts. I dont want the phone book sales snake near my domain name either. I will still be listed in the book, but no more ads besides the SL that is free. I will still sent postcards for septics but thats it. What seems to be the best ways you find cleaning work.

Re: Word of mouth.

Hopefully most everyone will quit advertising in the phonebooks......that way I will be one of the only ones in the book. My ad works great....I get calls all the time from it. 1"x1" about 150.00 a month. Word of mouth works great also. I have alot of OLD customers....they dont use computers.

Comment

Dane we been word of mouth, other plumbing referrals since 2005. We got out of the phone books, just a free listing. We do get calls from the internet as well. New sales do drop off but repeat customers will keep you alive.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Hopefully most everyone will quit advertising in the phonebooks......that way I will be one of the only ones in the book. My ad works great....I get calls all the time from it. 1"x1" about 150.00 a month. Word of mouth works great also. I have alot of OLD customers....they dont use computers.
        "We don't use that Voodoo internet" lol. Someone really said this to me.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
          "We don't use that Voodoo internet" lol. Someone really said this to me.
          I dont doubt it at all. Some people who use computers simply assume everyone else does and thats not the case all over the country. I find that older people resist change.......and they like a phonebook and actually look forward to receiving it. For those who advertise online I think its great if its working for them. If I was trying to build a new business or expand I would consider advertising on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            I dont doubt it at all. Some people who use computers simply assume everyone else does and thats not the case all over the country. I find that older people resist change.......and they like a phonebook and actually look forward to receiving it. For those who advertise online I think its great if its working for them. If I was trying to build a new business or expand I would consider advertising on the internet.
            It's funny both the Phone Book and Internet don't work here.
            It's word of mouth. Dam all that money wasted on Yellow pages
            Next year basic listings in the phone books. Take what I don't spend on yellow pages maybe take a vacation.
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I found out for the money I spent I could have ran a t.v. commercial with the morning news broadcast and had my name and number sitting at the bottom of the screen during different programs . As far as I am concerned the internet meaning leed generators , plumbing company listings , google places have all killed the phone book . If you look at past prints you can see how it has been dropping in size. All of these OTHER forms of advertising are much more affordable they work and are flexible since you can turn it on and off due to work load. Plus you can ask for REVIEWS this seems to me to be a new form of word of mouth . I do get calls from people that tell me that they have been reading about me from site to site . This is something that no book can do!

Comment

The new book has less ads in the plumbing section. The guys that had full page ads and the back cover are seeming to see the light. I never like to haggle or priced shopped. Alot of the calls went like this How much and will you bill me? If you ask for credit as the first question the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                  It's funny both the Phone Book and Internet don't work here.
                  It's word of mouth. Dam all that money wasted on Yellow pages
                  Next year basic listings in the phone books. Take what I don't spend on yellow pages maybe take a vacation.
                  There is alot of word of mouth here also and once they hear my name in a conversation they resort to the phonebook to find the number. A simple listing is all you need,maybe even the free line listing. I spend 150.00 a month and I know its well worth it.

If a customer finds me in the phonebook and I work for them,they like me. I will continue to service them...from that customer they tell friends,family,etc etc. So how much was that one customer seeing my name and calling me out of the phonebook worth? To me its worth alot more than 150 a month. I get alot of emergency type calls from the phonebook Plus who could forget me?

Comment

Last year I had adds in Three different "Yellow Book" Phone Books .. and two adds in two different AT&T "Yellow Pages" Phone Books.... This year we dropped "Yellow Book" completely and changed up the AT&T "Yellow Page" adds to what they called a Leader Ad... The leader Ad is working better for us....The cost on the two AT&T Yellow Page Ads. are now $180.00 a mo. for both...but then they screwed up our listing a bit and we were able to negotiate a monthly rate of $125.00 for both books ...The Yellow Book Adds. were a total waste of money as they didnt even come close to breaking even on them... The only customers the phone books brought in were seniors....Older folks that dont use the computer... So we spent some but not alot on phone books...It was a mistake I wont make again....I will never over spend on Yellow Pages again

Comment

I'll deny this but here's what I do. We have two phone book companies in our area. I will tell both that I can only afford one then when one gives me a price I tell them that the other one gave me a way better deal...then when the other calls I tell them that same thing...then I just play back and forth till I get them both were I feel comfortable and move on with myself....
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

We get the largest percentage of our business from word of mouth, but we still run two ads in the phone books. We run a 1/2 page ad in the largest phone book, and a 1/4 page ad in the smaller book. It costs around $2,000 a year for those ads. Because this is mainly a retirement town, internet advertising doesn't work well for us.

What I have been having good luck with the last few years, is I make people save my number in their cell phone as plumber. Since people are ditching land lines left and right, they always have my number in their phone. When they have a problem, they don't need to get a phone book or business card out, they just enter plumber in the phone. I get a lot of repeat business that way.

Comment

my customers have me listed as "plumber rick"

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                            Really...
                            My contact list says

Spazz!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                              Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Really...
                              My contact list says

Spazz!!!
                              my contact says

DORK
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X