X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My advertising is working!

We started an ad campaign in a couple of different markets this week. It's an extra section to the local paper called the community connection. If you run a big enough ad you can put in a few paragraph story in as well. I usually run a story about septic maintenance and sometimes about portable toilet rentals for special events depending on the time of year.

I've already had two confirmed calls and one more that I suspect is from the ad as well. One of the confirmed calls booked for today and tomorrows first job is the suspected call. Nice!
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Re: My advertising is working!

It's nice when a plan comes together.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Good for you! I'm on the brink of 10,000 postcards so I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I sure wish the septic forum would see more activity, don't you? I think there's thousands of pumpers out there who would network if they knew where to go.

Comment

I'm cutting way back on Yellow pages and doing the same thing your doing in the local paper. Ran one story in the local paper and got some calls.
        2 sewer calls and 5 calls were people questions. Proves people still read the local newspaper.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
          Good for you! I'm on the brink of 10,000 postcards so I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I sure wish the septic forum would see more activity, don't you? I think there's thousands of pumpers out there who would network if they knew where to go.
          Have you done postcards before? I never got much response from them. I've had people call me two years later saying "I've got your postcards". I'm thinking great why didn't you call when I told you BEFORE it backed up in the house. I've actually started calling. We've had a little better luck getting the job. A little.

I think you're right. The pumpers out there just don't know where to go. I stumbled in here by accident. I don't even remember what I was looking for.

Cole's forums are super slow. It's too bad as they have dedicated alot of space and time.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
            I'm cutting way back on Yellow pages and doing the same thing your doing in the local paper. Ran one story in the local paper and got some calls.
            2 sewer calls and 5 calls were people questions. Proves people still read the local newspaper.
            Yes it does. We still have one full page ad in our local phone book. I don't know if we'll keep that this year or not. Probably not. I'm even considering a billboard. I need to seriously look into the cost. There is a great location pretty close to us along I-5 in a rural area.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
              Have you done postcards before? I never got much response from them. I've had people call me two years later saying "I've got your postcards". I'm thinking great why didn't you call when I told you BEFORE it backed up in the house. I've actually started calling. We've had a little better luck getting the job. A little.

I think you're right. The pumpers out there just don't know where to go. I stumbled in here by accident. I don't even remember what I was looking for.

Cole's forums are super slow. It's too bad as they have dedicated alot of space and time.
              Ya, we did flyers a year ago. Spent over $2000 on direct mailing 5000 flyers with a business card boogered inside. Got around 25 jobs out of it. I can direct mail twice that many postcards for the same money so if the results are the same I should get around 50 jobs, but its more than that. It's making people more aware of you.

Here's a link to a direct mail thread in PZ that I explained the cost and how to direct mail:
              http://www.plumbingzone.com/f4/direct-mailing-12051/

As far as the forums go, I emailed Cole and told them they needed to start using ads in their magazines to drive users to the forum. He told me they were coming out with a whole new forum in March and then they would.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                We started an ad campaign in a couple of different markets this week. It's an extra section to the local paper called the community connection. If you run a big enough ad you can put in a few paragraph story in as well. I usually run a story about septic maintenance and sometimes about portable toilet rentals for special events depending on the time of year.

I've already had two confirmed calls and one more that I suspect is from the ad as well. One of the confirmed calls booked for today and tomorrows first job is the suspected call. Nice!
                I was thinking about doing something like this. It's called an "informative article" where you basically give out some free information and tips about plumbing (or what ever business you are in). People tend to feel indebted to you when you give them something for free even if its just information and it makes them remember you more that the other guy who just runs an ad.

I did direct mail myself. I target households with an anual income of over $100,000. I send out postcards with a $25 off coupon and a buisiness card magnet boogered to it. People tend to throw away postcards but they keep magnets.

A study conducted by Georgia Southern University found that 56.5% more people responded to a magnet mailer compared to a traditional postcard.
                The Direct Marketing Association reports a postcard with a magnet attached is read at least 51.9% more often than a traditional postcard.

The thing is with postcards and flyers for service professionals is that people wont call you unless they need something fixed. I send 1000 3 weeks ago. I have gotten 4 calls. I excpect more later.

Even if I don't its good "branding".
                Last edited by mpm; 02-05-2011, 03:09 PM.
                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Postcards work great for me, but I'm in a liitle different boat. The countys around here require that every system is inspected and pumped if it is over 1/3 full of sluge. I get the list from the local planning offices. Those people will all have to make a purchase in the coming months. It sounds great right. We pump a 1000 gallon tank for around 150 bucks. There are 15000 to do every season. Its a rat race.

Comment

It is nice when a ads works. I had a ad for frozen pipe that worked great for years. Then then last two years it sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
                      Postcards work great for me, but I'm in a liitle different boat. The countys around here require that every system is inspected and pumped if it is over 1/3 full of sluge. I get the list from the local planning offices. Those people will all have to make a purchase in the coming months. It sounds great right. We pump a 1000 gallon tank for around 150 bucks. There are 15000 to do every season. Its a rat race.
                      So how do they determine if it's over 1/3 full? Do you get to go check it or is that a county job?

Comment

Two more confirmed jobs from the ad!

Comment

Hey, Trent, do you belong to the Chamber of Commerce? It looks like your business is fairly similar to mine (primarily septic service) and I was just wondering what kind of measurable benefits there are to chamber memberships. Our chamber does a "Local Business Guide" section in the local paper that I can advertise in that may be similar to your little deal you got going there. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Yeah we do belong to the chamber. They do have an advertising section. We just put an ad in it. My sister/business partner is now on the chamber board as well. The advantages of being a member is the networking. Go to the luncheons and hand out your business card. Sometimes they have interesting speakers with topics that can help you in your business. Also if you are involved and they really get to know you, they'll recomend you more often. Often new people to the area will go to the chamber looking for local services. You want them giving your business card or brochure out. Maybe they can put together a welcome to the community pack with several local businesses information in it. It's not going to be a huge thing but it all helps.

We have really cut back on the yellow pages (I think I said that already somewhere) and tried to focus our ads where they will get seen more frequently than when some one opens the phone book.

The ad we just put out is really working. It's been out nearly a week now and I've booked about 7 jobs off of it already.

Another thing that I've done and need to do again is hold a "class" for real estate agents. The women asked a ton of questions and really took it seriously. The guys acted like they knew more about it but I saw the light click on a few times.

I'm likely going to be on the board of the Oregon Onsite Wastewater Association after next month and I intend to work on some outreach programs such as the real estate one and some that will be more geared toward high school students. The high school that I went to has an environmental club that hosts a "green" day in the park. They have local bands and booths available to rent. I've been a sponsor in the past but I think I'll rent a booth this year and try to steer these soon to be homeowners in the right direction regarding onsite issues.

I don't know if you facebook or not but I have a page set up for the business and post different stuff on it. It's not always business stuff, but it gives people a chance to know you on a more personal level than a website. They can see what you like and dislike, which sometimes could get you in trouble I suppose, but if they don't like what you like maybe you don't want to work for them anyhow!

Comment

Sounds good. Man, I wish Idaho had an onsite association! There's rumor of it but no cigar so far.

Your idea of a realtor class is a good idea, never thought of that before. I use email extensively to reach realtors, a couple hundred agents at a crack. Sent an email blast to realtors last week (free, got it?) and I've done four tanks and a baffle repair off of that already.

I may join the local chamber and see how it works out. If I'm impressed then maybe I'll go to the other ones around the area.

I have tried all the advertising gimmicks, and got so PO'd that I vowed the only money I would spend on advertising is to be everywhere a customer would actually look if they needed my services, meaning primarily YP and internet. My thought was that when someone's septic backs up they're not gonna head out to the ball field to get that number off the fence for that guy that does pumping, they're gonna look someone up somewhere (Net or YP) and call him ASAP. This approach eliminates all the "community guide refrigerator magnets," the "community calendars", and the "Chamber of Commerce Maps." However, I think it misses a few important points such as branding.

Comment

Working...
                              X