Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open wind cables

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    the cable does self feed into a drain, but not through the machine.

in reverse it will thread its self in and forward it will thread its way out.

with the reverse auger, it threads its way in when going in the reverse motor direction.

of course with gravity from a roof vent, it threads it's way in.

it does not auto feed through the machine.

rick.
    Yeah I've made an old marco without a self feeder self feed somtimes with a big screw driver wedged into where the self feeder use to be. Its slow but it will pull itself in and out. The cable is wound so the screwdriver catches that groove and the spinning action corkscrews the cable in and out of the drain.

I still want those snap couplers like on the marco. I've broke cables but never the couplers.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      I tell ya,that video is very deceiving then. They should re-make the video.
      Every time I watch that part of the video i imagine myself hitting a ball of roots or a 90 degree turn..whatever and having to stop every 3 seconds and feed the cable backwards through the machine. That would be a deal breaker almost....I mean it would still work but would be a PITA.

Now could I connect a longer feed hose and load 30' into the machine at a time if I had the room to do so? Also do they make a innercore cable for the k-60?
      I'm sure you could make a longer feed hose if you wanted to. I'm sure it would be more of a PITA to deal with. the one that comes with it works just fine. There is Innercore cable from what 99% say General makes the best 7/8 I.C cable and that's something I plan on getting soon better for roots and less chance of flipping in a 6 inch sewer.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

How does pushing and pulling 100' of cable with one arm work out? Seems like with one hand on the lever and the other on the cable fatigue would set in.

Comment

How does pushing and pulling 100' of cable with one arm work out? Seems like with one hand on the lever and the other on the cable fatigue would set in.
          Only have 75 feet of 7/8 so far but it's no big deal kind of easier than dragging in 3/4 inch cable and stuffing it back in the reel."Don't miss those day's" then lug a 275 pound machine out of a basement. RR was to cheap to put a power feeder on thier machines back then. I got one on mine thank God less fatigue better for my wrists.
          Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

tm. i said the same thing a year or two ago. everybody laughed. there was this immense silence when quoted a time frame. did i say immense. i like my k-60. it easy for me to move around. i go about 1 1/2 biscuits. your right i thought it was deceptive then and i still do. breid...................

Comment

You can put it on the lip of the pipe and make it feed in and out without much pushing or pulling.

Sometimes you may need a guide bar instead. Most of the time not though in my experience.

J.C.

Comment

The video at the 2:30 mark is showing the cable catching the edge of the drain I believe.

The loop you see (extra cable) is coming back from the drain.

It can also kind of loop like that when feeding forward. You pull your 1'-2' for advancement, then you hit the blockage or turn. Will hold the loop there until it drives through. But it is sometimes better and you gain more control by pushing some back through the machine.

J.C.

Comment

hello, ive been in the hvac and oil heating field for about 7 year. for the past 2 year ive been a plumbing apprentice. I do a lot of maintenance for 10 motels on the night and weekends. they been asking me to do the drain cleaning for them for a while, use the drain machine at work quit a bit. At work we use drum machine, but ive reading a lot on the ridgid forum and i like the K-60. I order one a week ago and i have it now. i got the 7/8 open wind cable kit to start with. was wonder if there was any trick to it? and wont to get the 5/8 cable for it to do 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pipe size. what would be the best cable type to go with. also I hear from some people it better to make your own cable by getting 5/8 by 100' cable and cutting it up any thought on that?
                  Last edited by tool chest; 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Hey toolchest where in New Hampshire are you?
                    Rod

Comment

gilmanton nh

Comment

Ok down near Concord and Laconia cool I service from carroll county North past Milan NH,
                        Rod

Comment

try to stay local. go where the work is take care of two motel companys travel though out new england

Comment

Originally posted by tool chest View Post
                            hello, ive been in the hvac and oil heating field for about 7 year. for the past 2 year ive been a plumbing apprentice. I do a lot of maintenance for 10 motels on the night and weekends. they been asking me to do the drain cleaning for them for a while, use the drain machine at work quit a bit. At work we use drum machine, but ive reading a lot on the ridgid forum and i like the K-60. I order one a week ago and i have it now. i got the 7/8 open wind cable kit to start with. was wonder if there was any trick to it? and wont to get the 5/8 cable for it to do 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pipe size. what would be the best cable type to go with. also I hear from some people it better to make your own cable by getting 5/8 by 100' cable and cutting it up any thought on that?
                            Good choice on the 60 ..I was not trying to turn this into a bash the k-60 thread..Was just trying to resolve an issue with the cables interlocking..As far as getting a 100' and cutting it to whatever length .That might be an issue as you will not have the connectors to attach heads etc..Thats how the 60 is designed..I realy have not yet found an area where I can use more that 15' lengths .. I think you would be slingin' cable everywhere..The 15' are plenty for the 7/8" cables..If there is room I carry in a piece of 2" pvc to act as a guide hose extension..You could probably get a roll of 2" corragated sleeving as well to add as an extension.
                            I will probably be looking into getting some tighter wound cables..
                            Last edited by OLD1; 02-07-2011, 09:24 AM.
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ridgid tells you to connect your cables when you are loading them back into the bail . I read thru the manual back when I worked for a service company and kept my cables like this and it was not a big deal but the guy that I learned with always insisted that they not be connected and this tangling was always a problem . I got my own truck to run and apprentices would try and throw the cables back in and I would have to stop them and remind them to connect them as they loaded them back in .

Comment

yea I never undertand why guys dont connect the cables and have them poking out all over. My guys try to do that I stopped them showing how much more room it took like that and how hard it was to get them out of the cage. But look on ebay most of them are sticking out the cage.
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X