X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Snake Cables

Do you guys oil your cables? If so, what kind do you use?

I was thinking about trying the kind that deodorizes the cable this time.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Oil Snake Cables

My sewer cables no not so much my Smaller 3/8 and 1/4 inch cables I do WD40 works fine
    PB Blaster sometimes on sectionals
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

currently using a gallon of ridgids snake oil. seems to work pretty well, thinner than I thought it would be.

before that, it was wd-40 in the winter, and threading oil in the summer.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Sectionals I spray them down real good with WD 40. When rolling them up I spray the button, once in the cage I spray the whole cable. My drum machines I use used motor oiled once a year on the cables. My sink line machine not so much since it sees greasy lines all the time. But once in a while when it does not get any use for a few weeks I will spray WD 40 in the drum to oil the cables up so it will not throw rust dust around.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

drum cables yes.

hand gun cables i shake out and store outside the machine. so oil is not needed.

sectional cables i oil/ grease the pin connectors. the open wind and cage design doesn't require any oil.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

WD 40 for me
            Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
            1-920-284-7471

Comment

What ever is handy. I've used trannyfluid before.
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

you oil ur cables??? just kidding...powersolve the cable as it comeback into machine then wd40...
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

The Ridgid cable lubricant is not available in Canada, but the Ridgid sales representative said vegetable oil is an excellent, inexpensive replacement.

I have been following that suggestion for the cables whenever they need it (mostly!). We hang them up in our trailer on a rack so they dry well between uses.

Recently we tried graphite on the pins and spring mechanism for the ends, but it hasn't produced the best results to ensure they always operate freely and lock together securely. I'm going to revert to the vegetable oil, WD-40 or try Rick's suggestion of grease.

Comment

Originally posted by PTS View Post
                    The Ridgid cable lubricant is not available in Canada, but the Ridgid sales representative said vegetable oil is an excellent, inexpensive replacement.

I have been following that suggestion for the cables whenever they need it (mostly!). We hang them up in our trailer on a rack so they dry well between uses.

Recently we tried graphite on the pins and spring mechanism for the ends, but it hasn't produced the best results to ensure they always operate freely and lock together securely. I'm going to revert to the vegetable oil, WD-40 or try Rick's suggestion of grease.
                    If you use grease get marine trailer axle grease. I use that type of grease on my auto feed rebuilds and inside my K-50 on the drive gears.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                    X