Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative Sewer Machine

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alternative Sewer Machine

    First and foremost I am not wanting a sectional vs drum debate...I currently use a K-7500 for sewer cleaning, and like most drum users the basements are about the only downside. Well here's the deal...its been ice and snow here for a couple weeks...so getting into basements have been very difficult. I am considering a K-60 as a alternative to my drum only for certain situations. My question is this...any other suggestion to an alternative to my k-7500 beside a k-60...either it be drum or sectional... don't matter to much...seems like will spend about the same amount either way I go...or is the K-60 the way to go...thanks for any input.
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

    Derek

  • #2
    Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

    Several options. Just off the top of my head.

    General Wire Sectional:

    I95
    Route 66

    Rothenberger:

    R550
    R600
    R650
    R750 (Getting a little big here.)

    Ridgid:

    K-50 (Big enough?)

    Drill and cable setup maybe.

    Many competitive drums. Similar designs, quality, prices.


    J.C.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

      Marco makes a mainline drum machine. Uses 3/4 innercore cable. Lighter weight than the ridgid.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

        The Spartan 300 with 107' of .55 magnum weighs 160lbs.


        How much snow you guys have down there ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

          Heck yes get the k60. It will be a perfect addition to your drum machine

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

            Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            The Spartan 300 with 107' of .55 magnum weighs 160lbs.


            How much snow you guys have down there ?

            not much snow but like 1" - 2" of ice... then snow...which melted into a foot of slush then it drops in temp so now its like 4"-6" of ice/crap....do u use this setup?
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

            Derek

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Several options. Just off the top of my head.

              General Wire Sectional:

              I95
              Route 66

              Rothenberger:

              R550
              R600
              R650
              R750 (Getting a little big here.)

              Ridgid:

              K-50 (Big enough?)

              Drill and cable setup maybe.

              Many competitive drums. Similar designs, quality, prices.


              J.C.

              Do u use any of these set-ups?
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

              Derek

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                Marco makes a mainline drum machine. Uses 3/4 innercore cable. Lighter weight than the ridgid.

                Sorry same question...u use this setup?
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                Derek

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                  Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                  Heck yes get the k60. It will be a perfect addition to your drum machine

                  Now I gonna say I assume this is what u use....
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                  Derek

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                    Originally posted by dcman View Post
                    not much snow but like 1" - 2" of ice... then snow...which melted into a foot of slush then it drops in temp so now its like 4"-6" of ice/crap....do u use this setup?

                    Yes, it's my main line machine. On the tougher root jobs I wish it had more balls but it's light and holds over 100' of cable

                    95% of my main line jobs are in basements.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                      Originally posted by dcman View Post
                      Sorry same question...u use this setup?
                      I do when I clean a sewer myself. Over the years we have had 10 or so of them. At on time we has multiple trucks. We would order them without the powerfeed and get 2 reels with 75' of innercore cable on each. Those snap lock cables ends are easy and they dont break.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                        I have used the Rothenberger 750 it spins 1 1/4 and the 7/8 cables. Works really good, you can also get a part that snap into the front and lets you spin 5/8 cable as well.

                        I have used the Spartan 300 machines with 5/8" cable (before the .55 magnum cable was around) The machine does really well, but the 5/8 cable was not stiff enough to do long 6" runs.

                        I own a Marco LT-90 which is one of their 3/4" machines, its bulky the wheels are hard rubber and slightly under sized when it comes to getting caught on stairs with out backing boards. Also the auto feed is a piece of junk, and hand feeding the cable in an out of the machine is a royal pain in the arse. As well since the Marco cable is right hand wound (opposite than what everyone else does) it has a tendency want to push it self out of the drum which can be a real danger when on a tight root blockage. This machine is not for a novice for sure.

                        Do not own a K-60 but used one. It works well and the selling point is how light the machine is. But consider this how heavy is that rand of cable? Rick says he carries 90' per rand, when I ran around with the Rothenberger I had 75' in each rand, and it was still heavy and awkward to carry up and down the stairs.

                        What I seen some Spartan users, and other K-7500 users is put on a different tire that has better traction and maneuverability on ice and such. That would be a much cheaper option.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                          I carry 90' ft in the holder also but I don't carry it inside most of the time I drag in a section or 2 and get more as needed. But I almost always have a helper, I carry it really only 1/2 the time lol.
                          Seattle Drain Service

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                            Sorry but I would not buy a Marco and they are only 5-miles from me.

                            Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Alternative Sewer Machine

                              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              I have used the Rothenberger 750 it spins 1 1/4 and the 7/8 cables. Works really good, you can also get a part that snap into the front and lets you spin 5/8 cable as well.

                              I have used the Spartan 300 machines with 5/8" cable (before the .55 magnum cable was around) The machine does really well, but the 5/8 cable was not stiff enough to do long 6" runs.

                              I own a Marco LT-90 which is one of their 3/4" machines, its bulky the wheels are hard rubber and slightly under sized when it comes to getting caught on stairs with out backing boards. Also the auto feed is a piece of junk, and hand feeding the cable in an out of the machine is a royal pain in the arse. As well since the Marco cable is right hand wound (opposite than what everyone else does) it has a tendency want to push it self out of the drum which can be a real danger when on a tight root blockage. This machine is not for a novice for sure.

                              Do not own a K-60 but used one. It works well and the selling point is how light the machine is. But consider this how heavy is that rand of cable? Rick says he carries 90' per rand, when I ran around with the Rothenberger I had 75' in each rand, and it was still heavy and awkward to carry up and down the stairs.

                              What I seen some Spartan users, and other K-7500 users is put on a different tire that has better traction and maneuverability on ice and such. That would be a much cheaper option.
                              That was pretty damn helpful...I should add this...I am a owner/operator...I recently lost a lot of weight..I went from 250 to 185...so the machine itself is just awkward dead weight trying to go upstairs...getting it in and out of van no problems (have a lift)...going down stairs no problems...its lifting the machine up stairs when I no longer have an a**......
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                              Derek

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X