X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-40 Update

Well its been a few months since I bought the K-40B unit. I used it on a lav sink and made a video of rodding through the pop-up which went through a 1 1/4 brass p-trap. Worked great there.

Then we used it on the drains on a bar where they drained into an indirect drain. All 1 1/4" copper line about 15' to the indirect drain. It was full of broken glass straws, corks and some other items I could not identify. The restaurant manager loved the fact it ran on a battery, no dirty cords running across the bar, no trip hazards either.

Then just recently an office building urinals. Two urinals in each bathroom and three bathrooms. Pulled each one rodded each with a couple passes since the build up in the drains where nasty. But the nice thing is the guide hose with the feed, kept the mess down to none at all. The building maintenance guy was amazed he had a clean up crew on stand by, thinking it was going to look bad. He said last guy that rodded the urinals pained the walls floor even the ceiling. So when we where done rodding the urinals and rehanging them, I turned the water on full blast on the Sloan valve and the maintenance guy freaked out said it has never been able to handle a strong flush. As he said that the auto flusher kicked in and all the water rushed down the drain. Needless to say I have a happy customer that will be using me for now on.

So I am thrilled with this rod. I say it beats a pistol rod hands down. Yes it may not spin as fast as a K-39 or K-45 but RPM speed is nothing when all you need is a good steady torque. It is nice to not be holding the 30 pound drill in one hand while feeding the cable in with the other. Not once did I feel its underpowered, just worked it through the blockages and your all set.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: K-40 Update

Saw one of these on craigslist a few months ago about 2 hours from me rare to find drain equipment local.Think they were asking $150-$200 bucks for it. Ratz would that have been a good bargin?
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
      Saw one of these on craigslist a few months ago about 2 hours from me rare to find drain equipment local.Think they were asking $150-$200 bucks for it. Ratz would that have been a good bargin?
      If it ran yep it would have been. I never trust cable on a used machine. So I do not hold the cable against it at all. The motor has to run good.

Comment

Any more updates? Good or bad things that have come up? That's a K-39/K-45 drum right? Leaked any?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Any more updates? Good or bad things that have come up? That's a K-39/K-45 drum right? Leaked any?

Thanks.

J.C.
          No splashing at all. I did all six urinals and only mess I had was a little waste on the wall when I pulled the urinal. I have to call Marvin in the morning, I want to get my other drum setup with the 3/8 cable, I got the spare drum cable, cutters just need to get the torque arm that mounts on the end of the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            No splashing at all. I did all six urinals and only mess I had was a little waste on the wall when I pulled the urinal. I have to call Marvin in the morning, I want to get my other drum setup with the 3/8 cable, I got the spare drum cable, cutters just need to get the torque arm that mounts on the end of the cable.
            I know you know more than I know if you know what I mean.

But I have to ask....Wasn't it more difficult doing urinals with this than some other equipment you probably have?

Honestly wondering 'cause it hadn't even entered my mind to use it for this purpose.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I know you know more than I know if you know what I mean.

But I have to ask....Wasn't it more difficult doing urinals with this than some other equipment you probably have?

Honestly wondering 'cause it hadn't even entered my mind to use it for this purpose.

Thanks.

J.C.
              It was 100 times easer since this auto fed the cable in the line and while retrieving the cable the mess stood in the guide hose. After all was done I opened the drum removed the inner drum and rinsed off the cable clean.

Way back in the day the NRC (Nuclear regulatory Commission) rented an office building that had six floors. They have me come in every 6 months to power rod all the urinal lines on each floor. I tried a few methods there like jetting, spartan 100, k-50/ 5/8" cables, k-50 with drum, and a few other things. Everyone of them did well but made a mess. I eventually went with the K-50 with the drum this way I kept the one cable just for urinals (not that easy to open up a k-50 drum to clean off the cable). This was before auto flushers came into the picture.

Comment

torque arm?...I'm a lil slow...please explain

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  It was 100 times easer since this auto fed the cable in the line and while retrieving the cable the mess stood in the guide hose. After all was done I opened the drum removed the inner drum and rinsed off the cable clean.

Way back in the day the NRC (Nuclear regulatory Commission) rented an office building that had six floors. They have me come in every 6 months to power rod all the urinal lines on each floor. I tried a few methods there like jetting, spartan 100, k-50/ 5/8" cables, k-50 with drum, and a few other things. Everyone of them did well but made a mess. I eventually went with the K-50 with the drum this way I kept the one cable just for urinals (not that easy to open up a k-50 drum to clean off the cable). This was before auto flushers came into the picture.
                  Duhhhh....I forgot all about the guide hose with AF on it. You just set it on the floor, hold the hose, and hit the bulb, right?

Pretty sweet ride.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    torque arm?...I'm a lil slow...please explain
                    Instead of an anchor, or leaving the cable unanchored like in the K-39, they have this bracket that mounts on the end of the cable. It acts like an anchor in a way by not letting the cable spin in the drum. So it lets the cable build up the needed torque to power through the blockages. Here is a picture.

Comment

Can you make another video?Please.

Comment

Originally posted by TOP-NOTCH PLUMBER View Post
                        Can you make another video?Please.
                        Sure thing next job I am that calls for the K-40 I will be happy to make a new Video

Comment

Working...
                        X