Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thawing a frozen fire hydrant

Had a fire in town about 2 months ago.
    Water dept pumped out the hydrant after but apparently it didn't seat all the way and froze solid.

This was a first for us.

Candy and I decided to use the old hose, pump, and container trick to recirculate the water.

Normally the pump will begin to warm the water after awhile but this is a new pump and I'm finding it doesn't do that, so I used a torch to heat water to speed the process up.
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Thawing a frozen fire hydrant

two more.

1: Pot on bricks

2: all thawed out
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Have not had one of those calls in four years. Gene hows the freeze up's in your area slowed down here?
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Just starting to take hold here.

Last week
        1 town water service
        1 town sewer lateral (at a business, job from hell, but owner VERY happy, and it turns out he owns 14 KFC's)

1 hydrant

A guy with a frozen septic line just called to kick the tires.

Comment

It's sure nice to live in an area with wet barrel hydrants.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Nice job. Man that looks like it sucks. I cant do cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Nice job. Man that looks like it sucks. I cant do cold weather.

Cold? What are you talking about?
              It was warm as heck 20*

20* sounds cold, but when you start the morning off at -5*, when it warms up to 20* it feels like a heat wave

Comment

And when the city accountant questions the bill ! My favorite reply

" What do You usually pay for this " ?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  And when the city accountant questions the bill ! My favorite reply

" What do You usually pay for this " ?

They might have been confused because you forgot to bill them for the four hours of sit around time most of their employees get.... This coming from a guy who's father is a city sewer maintenance supervisor....

Comment

Gene thats why i want to move to Maine i love the cold
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      Gene thats why i want to move to Maine i love the cold
                      Are you off your meds again?

I can't say I love the cold, but I think I would miss it if I moved to a warm climate. Nothing like being in the woods on a cold winter night staring up at a cloudless sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        Are you off your meds again?

I can't say I love the cold, but I think I would miss it if I moved to a warm climate. Nothing like being in the woods on a cold winter night staring up at a cloudless sky.
                        I don't know I think lying on the ground looking up at a palm tree at the night sky with the mai tai in my hand sure beats the cold every time
                        I'm just about all done with cold winter and ice
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          I don't know I think lying on the ground looking up at a palm tree at the night sky with the mai tai in my hand sure beats the cold every time
                          I'm just about all done with cold winter and ice
                          You might have a good point Rod!
                          I wouldn't really know, closest I ever got to that was lying on a snowbank, looking up at a Pine tree with an ice cold beer next to me because it was to darn cold to hold onto it.

Comment

Had a fire in town about 2 months ago.
                            Water dept pumped out the hydrant after but apparently it didn't seat all the way and froze solid.

This was a first for us.

Candy and I decided to use the old hose, pump, and container trick to recirculate the water.

Normally the pump will begin to warm the water after awhile but this is a new pump and I'm finding it doesn't do that, so I used a torch to heat water to speed the process up.

Now I admit I've never had to thaw out a frozen hydrant. (Our fire departments might know how to shut off the fire hydrants.) (Ducking and running here... ) LOL

Seriously though there's usually have an isolation valve just ahead of the hydrant. Why not try to take a pipethawer and hook it up to the hydrant and to a key that's placed onto the valve? It would be easy enough to see if you're getting current flow using an amprobe.

Whatcha think?
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

You might have a good point Rod!
                              I wouldn't really know, closest I ever got to that was lying on a snowbank, looking up at a Pine tree with an ice cold beer next to me because it was to darn cold to hold onto it.
                              You guys might have a lot of snow there but here in Oregon we can go swimming just by walking out our front door....

Comment

Working...
                              X