X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying this.....

This is a screenshot taken from a video inspection done by another company. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what I'm looking at, but I'd love to know what this is before digging the 5'3" to get to it.

Any ideas?

Ideal Plumbing

Re: Need help identifying this.....

I can see the black ball point pen on the top, maybe the white object below it is also some kind of pen or school supply?????
    ---------------------------------------

Questions for All:

so with the pipe broken up like that what do you do if you are a company that only does drain cleaning and am not a certified licensed plumber???

1. do NOT show the picture of the broken pipe to customer, retrieve the pen or clear blockage, charge customer and leave. (profit about $175)

2. Show customer broken pipe in camera, refer him to a licensed plumber to dig and repipe, charge for your camera service, leave. (profit about $125)

3. Show customer broken pipe, tell him you can dig and repipe for half of what a licensed plumber would charge. do the job and leave. (profit about $450)

what would you do or have done in the past in these situations. be honest now.
    Last edited by dhdc; 02-15-2011, 03:39 AM.

Comment

btw...I am new to drain cleaning and just started up my own drain cleaning business but have worked under my uncles plumbing company for 2 years so I know a few things, If the pipe location is under the yard and not a concrete slab I would try to convince the customer to let me (unlicensed) repipe it at a cheaper rate.

just being honest.

if the customer felt like he wanted a licensed company to do it, I would just reffer him to my uncles company and my uncle would turn around and make me do the work anyway.
      Last edited by dhdc; 02-15-2011, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
        I can see the black ball point pen on the top, maybe the white object below it is also some kind of pen or school supply?????

Questions for All:

so with the pipe broken up like that what do you do if you are a company that only does drain cleaning and am not a certified licensed plumber???

1. do NOT show the picture of the broken pipe to customer, retrieve the pen or clear blockage, charge customer and leave. (profit about $175)

2. Show customer broken pipe in camera, refer him to a licensed plumber to dig and repipe, charge for your camera service, leave. (profit about $125)

3. Show customer broken pipe, tell him you can dig and repipe for half of what a licensed plumber would charge. do the job and leave. (profit about $450)

Be honest with your customer, don't try to scam them.
        The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
          Be honest with your customer, don't try to scam them.
          By the sounds of it you would take option #2.

but what if the homeowner offered you option #3 understanding fully that you are not licensed but he had faith that you could repipe it and save him 50% on the cost. would you do it?

Comment

then you become part of the problem these days by working cheap, and you are stealing business from your uncle's business.
            The Other Rick

Comment

again, way to answer the question by not answering the question.

But I agree with you that option #2 is best - to inform the customer of pipe conditions and get a licensed plumber in to complete the work.

Comment

seeing it's before 5am for me. i'll take a stab in the dark

it appears to be a wye with a broken/ slipping joint. based on the distance and the fact you want to dig it, it tells me that it's still on your customers property. based on the depth and what appears to be the wye slipping in the vertical direction, i say it's just before the sidewalk/ property line.

how am i doing?

now remember that what slips at 1 joint, typically has an affect at the downstream joint too. if it's at the sidewalk/ property line, be prepared for the 4x6 connection from vertical to horizontal to be bad too

now adam knows what happens when you post photos of you in the ditch without shoring

lucky guess or been there done that

let us know

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

but what if the homeowner offered you option #3 understanding fully that you are not licensed but he had faith that you could repipe it and save him 50% on the cost. would you do it?

Hell no ! I would call one of my licensed plumber friends to do the work. They get me drain & sewer cleaning jobs weekly so I would be more than happy to repay them every chance I get.

Comment

Questions for All:

I'm going to pick option #4: No dig pipe patch.

Or, if a trenchless patch could not be installed I'd refer them to a local contractor, not a Plumber.

In Maine, no need for a license for anything outside the foundation and very few Plumbers even have the equipment needed for a dig up.

I am more then capable of doing a dig up myself (if I had the equipment), but personally I feel as a Drain Cleaner, it's a conflict of interest. It's my job to do everything possible to keep the HO from having to dig.

If I had to make payments on a $100,000 excavator I'm sure I'd be working it a lot more than it truly NEEDED to be.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

In the city of Chicago you need to be a licensed drain layer to (yes they have a license for that in Chicago) to make sewer repairs, and you also have to have a separate Home Repair License.

In most suburbs you do not have to have a plumbing license to do sewer repairs, but most companies that do sewer repairs are licensed plumbing contractors registered with the state (Ok, more like some of the contractors).

Not sure how the licensing works for you fellows out on the West Coast.

That said, if you have ANY apprehension about doing the job, I would defer to a more experienced (and more insured) company.

Just my random $.02 before taxes

Comment

Rick, you're right about location....It's about 3 feet shy of the sidewalk on the customer's side. As far as it being a wye - I'm not completely sure that it is. From what I've seen in the crawlspace, a wye would have no business being in that pipe. It should be a straight run from the house to the city sewer.

My only concern is about what is sitting in that pipe, at first glance, the object on the bottom seemed to be like it maybe something with some kind or "danger" or "warning" label and I started thinking maybe the break was caused by penetration of a utility (gas, electric, telecom).

Oh, here's the best part of the whole thing. There is sidewalk, about 3 feet of planter, then a nice big cinder block wall that encloses the property. That break is in the 2-3 feet of dirt between the pipe and wall. That wouldn't be a problem if I only had to dig 2-3 feet, but I gotta go about 5.5'. This is going to be a pain in the butt.

I may just have the HO get a few laborers to dig it up and go from there.
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                          Rick, you're right about location....It's about 3 feet shy of the sidewalk on the customer's side. As far as it being a wye - I'm not completely sure that it is. From what I've seen in the crawlspace, a wye would have no business being in that pipe. It should be a straight run from the house to the city sewer.

My only concern is about what is sitting in that pipe, at first glance, the object on the bottom seemed to be like it maybe something with some kind or "danger" or "warning" label and I started thinking maybe the break was caused by penetration of a utility (gas, electric, telecom).

Oh, here's the best part of the whole thing. There is sidewalk, about 3 feet of planter, then a nice big cinder block wall that encloses the property. That break is in the 2-3 feet of dirt between the pipe and wall. That wouldn't be a problem if I only had to dig 2-3 feet, but I gotta go about 5.5'. This is going to be a pain in the butt.

I may just have the HO get a few laborers to dig it up and go from there.

95% of the time there is a wye at the lateral to house connection. since i only see a still shot, it sure looks like a wye dropping off to go down and connect to the 6x4 wye at the bottom of line under the sidewalk.

just a heads up that the line will also be cracked/ displaced at the bottom of that stack. adam should be able to confirm this too

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Since I have limited experience in video inspections I'm going to trust your judgment. I talked to the HO today and he's gonna have it dug up for me by the weekend (provided no rain) and I'll have to figure out how much damage there is and what to do. I'll definitely be posting some pics of all that good stuff when I finally get to it.

Thanks for the info Rick. I knew there was a reason I stayed on your good side

How did things go with that electrical jetting job yesterday?
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Looks like broken clay. I've seen alot of it. I find a good bit of clay pipe with bad jonts. If the house doesn't get alot of traffic(like one old lady lives there) and the joints are bad the line will clogg up and then it will act as a field line for a couple months,then the line finally sludges up and they call you. You might get it open and you might not. I had a few instances where my cable came out of the ground and was eating the paint off a car. I've replaced a BUTT load of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X