How to get draincleaning contracts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get draincleaning contracts

Im interested in getting your folks feedback as Im finding it hard to research on the net this specific topic.

I started my draincleaning business in the hopes of getting maintenance contracts for commercial properties (high rises, apartment buildings etc..)
    I hear that these type of properties get their pipes cleaned maybe once or twice a year and it could be a profitable niche.

Question 1: How do I get my foot in the door? do I print out a 5 page proposal for my service with rates and hand it out to the resident managers on site, or mail it to the property management company - then pray that they call me back?

I have gotten one contract to date for a town home association but it was more of an exception then the norm of how things work. It turns out that the President of the board who happened to be a crazy old grandma was dis-satisfied with the previous sewer cleaning company and so she did a search on the internet and found me, it was around christmas time and she knew i was a startup company, she had me sign the contract to bring me on board and the week after new years she sold her townhome and move to a different state.

I felt blessed that she gave me a break but now im in a position where I need to grow but dont know how to get new contracts.

what have you guys done to get these commercial contracts???? and what is your advice to me from a business stand point????
    what are your guys rates for jobs like this????
    Last edited by dhdc; 02-15-2011, 01:35 AM.

Re: How to get draincleaning contracts

you're getting in way over your head as a 2 year experienced drain guy. commercial/ hoa associations are much more prone to sue if something goes wrong the day of or after you cleaned the lines.

i don't have standing drain cleaning contracts with these buildings, but i do them on a yearly basis.

the difference is i have insurance and a license and 35 years of experience. not to mention every drain machine at my disposal plus a track record with my customers.

i would stick with the smaller jobs and build up your experience before i jump head first into a job over my head. no association will hire a company without insurance. a license here is necessary if your work is over $600 total labor and material.

get some hands on experience, the proper license and liability insurance before you get yourself into a legal and financial bind.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

My biggest concern with a contract like that is you pretty much have to respond day or night..And what happens if you are out of town when they have an emergency? Do they call another co. and back charge you? I'm not going there.I have had customers request service contracts ,mostly restaurants with grease issues.Nope , you can call me on an as needed basis..Here's my rates ..sorry
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
        Im interested in getting your folks feedback as Im finding it hard to research on the net this specific topic.

I started my draincleaning business in the hopes of getting maintenance contracts for commercial properties (high rises, apartment buildings etc..)
        I hear that these type of properties get their pipes cleaned maybe once or twice a year and it could be a profitable niche.

Question 1: How do I get my foot in the door? do I print out a 5 page proposal for my service with rates and hand it out to the resident managers on site, or mail it to the property management company - then pray that they call me back?

I have gotten one contract to date for a town home association but it was more of an exception then the norm of how things work. It turns out that the President of the board who happened to be a crazy old grandma was dis-satisfied with the previous sewer cleaning company and so she did a search on the internet and found me, it was around christmas time and she knew i was a startup company, she had me sign the contract to bring me on board and the week after new years she sold her townhome and move to a different state.

I felt blessed that she gave me a break but now im in a position where I need to grow but dont know how to get new contracts.

what have you guys done to get these commercial contracts???? and what is your advice to me from a business stand point????
        To early to be doing this without a lot of experience your going to have a
        dis-satisfied with the "NEW" sewer cleaning company
        When you go out and do drains on your own. You better know what your doing?? This does not include just sticking a snake down a sewer knowing how to run a business is a huge part.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Why I don't do condo or H. ***. Work. My Liability co. excludes it on My agreement ! Too many experts, You are always parked in the wrong spot. 0ne big pain in the arse !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

thanks guys, I appreciate the words of caution.

from the business side I have run 2 other successful businesses.
            I do have a ge license and insurance for my drain cleaning biz, here
            you do not need plumbers license for drain cleaning.

I have been doing residential drains for 2 years with my uncles company, still got a lot to llearn but comfortable enough to be doing residential on my own. i asked my uncle if he wanted me to do all the marketing for him and get him commercial drain cleaning contracts but he wanted me to start up my own biz hes busy enough doing plumbing.

Rick im sure you did not wait until you had 36yrs under your belt till you took on a commercial job.

..gotta start somewhere and for me its here researching in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post

As others have said, you better know what your doing. A big jetter and camera are just about a necessity for jobs like this. Another problem your going to have is just getting the work, most of these property managers/HOA already have a good plumber/drain guy.

Maybe try out restaurants. They always have problems but you really need a jetter for them too.

Comment

Just make sure that your insurance will cover those type/size jobs....you don't want to get bitten in the butt. A 13 story condo building is A LOT different then a house. Get a couple minor condo snake jobs first....then as you get experience work your way into the big stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X