jetting liability, new customer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: jetting liability, new customer

They worry about the jetter ! Why would they think a cable with a big metal head would be so gentle , its not mentioned at all

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      They worry about the jetter ! Why would they think a cable with a big metal head would be so gentle , its not mentioned at all

you're correct. if the line has a joint that's backed with roots, the cutter and cable will put much more stress on the joint as it tears and pulls on the roots.

i'll be discussing this with alan/ hoa and pick his brain as to why all of a sudden a concern

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        like i mentioned before. the 1 job i did there a year ago went fine. i think they might be looking at bids and i know they met with a guy last friday. chances are the guy they met with doesn't own a jetter and he probably tried to convince them that a jetter will break the pipe. of course it's all bs and i need to explain it to the hoa.

the only way to really know is to do a before and after video that they would be paying for anyways.

rick.
        all unforseen conditions will be on case by case condition due to 40 year old pipe

Comment

Rick, do you keep copies of all the jobs you cam? If you do, do you keep digital copies? I would imagine DVDs would take too much space if you do a lot.
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

If they are THAT concerned over a 40 year old sewer, why don't they just replace it and start new? I understand they want you to maintain the sewer for them, but when does throwing good money after bad come into play?

If they let you replace the sewer, you could set it up nicely with cleanouts at your discretion to make your job easier and keep their bills down at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
              Rick, do you keep copies of all the jobs you cam? If you do, do you keep digital copies? I would imagine DVDs would take too much space if you do a lot.

years ago all i had was vcr tapes and the customer kept them. i wrote notes on my invoices and the box top of the tapes.

today i have the lt1000 that i keep a copy on/ in my laptop. but typically notes are all i need. footage and condition. they tell me the total distance to the city main and the root location/ distance.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                If they are THAT concerned over a 40 year old sewer, why don't they just replace it and start new? I understand they want you to maintain the sewer for them, but when does throwing good money after bad come into play?

If they let you replace the sewer, you could set it up nicely with cleanouts at your discretion to make your job easier and keep their bills down at the same time.
                at this point nobody knows the condition of the line. according to the hoa, this is preventative and they really don't have a track record of any issues. they are doing this work to be prepared for when problems come up.

i would think once i camera the line, we will know the condition and if the lines need jetting or just a few c/o installed.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  years ago all i had was vcr tapes and the customer kept them. i wrote notes on my invoices and the box top of the tapes.

today i have the lt1000 that i keep a copy on/ in my laptop. but typically notes are all i need. footage and condition. they tell me the total distance to the city main and the root location/ distance.

rick.
                  I was just thinking for liability purposes, it would be nice to have videos of jobs you worked on in case anything came up and someone tried to blame you and have you repair something that wasn't your fault.

On a side note, the used gatorcam i purchased has a bad counter It's been bothering me since I purchased it, but now it's really getting to me!
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

before all the electronics and bells and whistles. i always used colored electrical tape on my cameras. i still do including my jetter hoses.

lay out your camera cable on a flat straight driveway/ sidewalk. stretch out a 100' tape right next to the clean camera cable and mark your cable every 10' with a sharpie.

the color code i use is red 10- white 20- blue 30- yellow 40- green 50. then it repeats again.

the measurements are dead on and last a very long time. colored electrical tape is easy to come by and i buy the 6 pack that includes black.

when video taping with a voice over, i just announce the footage and write it down on my notes. you'll find that the accuracy for then going back and snaking with a sectional cable is dead on.

the nice thing is ridgid engineers have mastered the algorithms in their counters and the seesnake counters are pretty dead on too. at 1 point they were over 10% off but in the last couple years they are running around 1% that's approx 1' in a 100'

with a sectional that's a set footage, 7.5' 10' or 15' it's simple to dial in your cable to clean out the problem area.

at the first roundup they had a working proto-type drum machine counter with digital readout. i was impressed as it was something i was asking for before i went sectional

but they put it on the back burner until i go drum again so don't expect it to ever come out

for the drummers. good spray paint works for a while and as long as you repaint before all is lost, it's easy to stay on top of the marks

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                      I was just thinking for liability purposes, it would be nice to have videos of jobs you worked on in case anything came up and someone tried to blame you and have you repair something that wasn't your fault.

On a side note, the used gatorcam i purchased has a bad counter It's been bothering me since I purchased it, but now it's really getting to me!
                      Is it just not giving the proper footage?
                      If thats the case, have you tried to reset the reel size?
                      PM me if you need instructions.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I hope you fixed Mark's typo before you cut and pasted that email back to them. Oh never mind. . . .you want it to look like YOU wrote it.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          I hope you fixed Mark's typo before you cut and pasted that email back to them. Oh never mind. . . .you want it to look like YOU wrote it.
                          Thats mean, but wicked funny

What, did Rick forget to take out the trash this morning?
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            Is it just not giving the proper footage?
                            If thats the case, have you tried to reset the reel size?
                            PM me if you need instructions.
                            Nope, it's just not giving me anything. It reads 0ft at all times. I'm wondering if maybe the counter itself is good and maybe the interface cable between the reel and monitor has a loose/bad wire for the counter. I just don't know how or which pins to test to check if the counter itself is actually putting out a signal.
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I liked Mark's reply. It sounds like they're putting out the feelers as far as you fixing any breaks for free or under your insurance. I might be a little hesitant to work for anyone who really wanted to push that issue. When we clean, or attempt to clean your 40yr+ pipes, the risk of damage or replacement is on the owner! No good? No cleaning! Yeah, it is funny that no one flinches at you shoving a heavy metal cable with something sharp at the end, but as soon as you talk about water under some pressure... We know you'll handle it and probably get the work, but best to get issues like that out of the way now. Like Barney used to say, "We got to nip it in the bud, Andy! Nip it in the bud!!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post

....please make the bad lady go away.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X