X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetting liability, new customer

i was recommended to a new hoa complex for preventative drain cleaning, camera inspection and adding a couple outdoor cleanouts.

the 30 unit complex was built in the late 60's and has clay sewers.

so i give them an hourly price for camera work and drain jetting. price for cleanout installation would be determined once i camera the job to determine where to locate them, depth and job conditions.

i'm communicating with the go to person via phone and email. i've been to the complex 2 times last year to install 1 c/o and jet, after i camered a section of line last year. all went well and the hoa was happy.

since this is a hoa, they need to obtain 3 bids and then vote on it. so last night they had a board meeting. here is the email i received from the board.

Hi Rick,

Our Board met this evening , and we discussed your proposal [ and are very positive about you doing the job for us]

We need some understanding of in the unlikely event of a pipe breaking during the Jetting procedure, who is responsible for the repair. Do you have insurance that includes this type of

problem?

Please let us know, so we can proceed.

Thank You,

Alan

so the question is, how would you respond to this?

and yes i have insurance. which is actually special insurance for hoa/ association coverage.

i'll email him today based on what the consensus is and what i feel is correct. i'll share the email with you too

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: jetting liability, new customer

It sounds like they want some one else to pay for normal 40 year old wear and tear

Comment

keep in mind this is a new proposal for a job i'm bidding. the first job i did for them a year ago went fine and there was no worries about damage.

i think they might of had a bid from another plumber who doesn't jet and he brought this to their attention since he doesn't own a jetter.

never had an issue that the jetter created. if anything it uncovers everything that others didn't clean.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Re: jetting liability, new customer OH OH !!!!!

Rick ,this isn't just about You! You have much respect on this forum.
        Some Younger Members will follow Your wisdom! Keep in Mind They
        may not have insurance, and We know they don,t have Your practical experience. This will get interesting ! Good luck , Dad
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would say that my insurance would only come into play if while jetting I caused water damage during the process, any pipes that failed in the process though rare was not our fault and was due to age, any pipes that where damaged we would then have to replace and that it was good the jetter showed there failure so they could be addressed.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i was recommended to a new hoa complex for preventative drain cleaning, camera inspection and adding a couple outdoor cleanouts.

the 30 unit complex was built in the late 60's and has clay sewers.

so i give them an hourly price for camera work and drain jetting. price for cleanout installation would be determined once i camera the job to determine where to locate them, depth and job conditions.

i'm communicating with the go to person via phone and email. i've been to the complex 2 times last year to install 1 c/o and jet, after i camered a section of line last year. all went well and the hoa was happy.

since this is a hoa, they need to obtain 3 bids and then vote on it. so last night they had a board meeting. here is the email i received from the board.

Hi Rick,

Our Board met this evening , and we discussed your proposal [ and are very positive about you doing the job for us]

We need some understanding of in the unlikely event of a pipe breaking during the Jetting procedure, who is responsible for the repair. Do you have insurance that includes this type of

problem?

Please let us know, so we can proceed.

Thank You,

Alan

so the question is, how would you respond to this?

and yes i have insurance. which is actually special insurance for hoa/ association coverage.

i'll email him today based on what the consensus is and what i feel is correct. i'll share the email with you too

rick.
            Alan,

Thank you for your timely reply and your positive comments. My insurance is for the unlikely event I do something negligent while preforming work on your property. It not to cover problems with your 40 + year old system which is nearing the end of it's useful life. Hopefully, the preventive measurements which the Board is taking will prevent possible property damage in the future. However, it would be prudent for the Board to ensure the proper reserve replacement funds are set aside in the event the system needs replacement in the near future.

Sincerely,
            Plumber Rick
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark that says it all
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Don't even know if I'd want to work there. Pay attention to the wording of their question.

They want to hire you, but they also want to blame you for ANYTHING....

J.C.

Comment

I work for a lot of HOA's they wll sometimes debate for months over things, but when the emergency hits it's go time. But truth be told sometimes they drag there feet on paying after the work is done, but I collect pretty quick I am probably better at collecting than actually working lol Just kidding
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Don't even know if I'd want to work there. Pay attention to the wording of their question.

They want to hire you, but they also want to blame you for ANYTHING....

J.C.
                    Let's not forget you likely have a fairly large group of people discussing this and they're all going to have different viewpoints, concerns and experiences. So the damaging the pipe issue might just be something someone brought up and everyone else murmurs... "Oh yeah what about that? Good point." nodding their heads. They're just trying to perform due diligence.

Rick, great response. I hope you ran it through a spell checker prior to emailing.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Rick, Does this mean that you would need to do before jetting and after jetting video inspections to protect yourself? If the clay lines are rooted at least one bell / hub is gonna be broken, what happens when you cut out a root ball that is holding a section kinda together and it fails? (Are you now at fault?) How do you explain to an HOA that if the line is damaged by jetting it means that the line was already structurally compromised? I agree with JC, it looks like they may be looking for an out (with insurance)

Comment

like i mentioned before. the 1 job i did there a year ago went fine. i think they might be looking at bids and i know they met with a guy last friday. chances are the guy they met with doesn't own a jetter and he probably tried to convince them that a jetter will break the pipe. of course it's all bs and i need to explain it to the hoa.

the only way to really know is to do a before and after video that they would be paying for anyways.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

What is it about jetting that people think it will damage pipe. There is a sign when you enter a car wash. High pressure wash may cause damage to rusty or aftermarket parts. People still wash rusty cars. You never hear any concerns when no one has been able to open a line with a cable about jetting. They just hope it opens up. CYA

Comment

interesting and informative post Rick

reading some of your posts dated as far back as 2006 you seem to be the guru in drain cleaning.

(waiting for your next move)

Comment

I completely agree with Mark on this one. It's just a matter of explaining to them that jetting WILL NOT damage the pipe unless the pipe was already cracked or otherwise compromised. I'm sure you're right about the other guy trying to convince them jetting is a bad idea because he doesn't own a jetter.
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X