X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do

Got a call from a referral.They have 3 seperate breaks in their sewer..Co. has been there camera'd the sewer wrote estimate for repairs and left..I explained even though someone else has been there to camera etc. I need to see for myself so I give her my best quote as well..The quote for camera / locate is x ..I can guess where the sewer comes outta the house . There is a cleanout in the yard. But again, I need to verify for myself..The quote was to repair a few feet of pipe. Thats it..So would you
    A- waive the camera / locate fee in hopes of getting the job
    B- Charge and then discount the camera /locate if you get the job
    C-Tuck tail and tell them good luck cause' they seem like window shoppers anyhow (pile of estimates on counter gave that away)
    D-None of the above
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: What would you do

First I would ask to see the quote. And the work the quote says need to be done. If this can be done by you for a better price or “better service” I would
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

unless they have the video for you to see. you're only guessing.

a company that charges for a video and doesn't leave a copy for the customer who paid for it is a scam. same as a dr. that takes x-rays and you don't get a copy to take to another dr for an opinion.

now if the video doesn't give a location or depth. then tell the customer that the video is useless and you can't guess at the job. unless they want to dig it themselves and you'll be happy to quote the job once it's exposed.

if you explain it to them this way, they will know that you're trying to give them an honest price without guessing.

i see this happen very often when i get called for a second opinion. either there is no video, or the video is useless.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I never rely on anyone else's locate and camera work but most people don't want to pay that fee again for the same results. Full charge on the camera and locate then discount it on the dig job. So I pick B also.

Ill also quote for the repairs without a camera but it'll be much higher to cover my azz.
        Last edited by plumberscrack; 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

B

Comment

B...yes...B
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
              Got a call from a referral.They have 3 seperate breaks in their sewer..Co. has been there camera'd the sewer wrote estimate for repairs and left..I explained even though someone else has been there to camera etc. I need to see for myself so I give her my best quote as well..The quote for camera / locate is x ..I can guess where the sewer comes outta the house . There is a cleanout in the yard. But again, I need to verify for myself..The quote was to repair a few feet of pipe. Thats it..So would you
              C-Tuck tail and tell them good luck cause' they seem like window shoppers anyhow (pile of estimates on counter gave that away)
              D-None of the above
              You can't tell where approx. the lateral drops in to the main, without a locate job? Can you find the upstream and downstream manholes? How deep is the main?

I'd check this stuff out, tell them to call dig safe to check for utility surprises then I'd give them an estimate on a full line replacement. If they just want a spot repair, I'd tell them they have to pay for a camera/locate, the cost of which would be deducted if I got the job.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterplumberKC View Post
                You can't tell where approx. the lateral drops in to the main, without a locate job? Can you find the upstream and downstream manholes? How deep is the main?

I'd check this stuff out, tell them to call dig safe to check for utility surprises then I'd give them an estimate on a full line replacement. If they just want a spot repair, I'd tell them they have to pay for a camera/locate, the cost of which would be deducted if I got the job.
                Nope..there are no manholes around only a rough guesstimate on where the property line is..Don't know how deep the main is . don't know where it is..The thing is if they agreed to a camera locate I could probably do a replacement for what the other guy wanted to do a repair..To me it's a no brainer..Untill they agree on paying me for a camera/ locate nothing is getting done by me..I also agree there needs to be a utilities locate done to see what else might be encountered..Cover all the bases ..Good idea

Comment

Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Look at it as if no-one else has looked at it.

You are pricing your work.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                      D-None of the above
                      Do you want the job? If you do. B.

If you're getting a bad vibe, C.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I'd go with option B as well. You have to go in there and confirm what the other company told them, but you do want the job, so this way, you're making your money if you don't get the job and if they decide to hire you for it, then they don't feel like they're paying twice for the camera/locate.
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Some guys idea of a locate is marking the a spot on the reel and taking it outside. It about here I'm SURE.

Comment

With no video it's only hearsay forcing you to guess
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                              I'd go with option B as well. You have to go in there and confirm what the other company told them, but you do want the job, so this way, you're making your money if you don't get the job and if they decide to hire you for it, then they don't feel like they're paying twice for the camera/locate.

I agree, I would be more than happy to go with option B ..But she doesn't want to pay me to camera / locate.Like I told her I have to see it to confirm so I can give her my best price..Wish I had xray eyes...What they need up here is a tire kicker smiley or a window shopper smiley as I get a lot of them

Comment

Working...
                              X