Roto Rooter in deep doo doo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roto Rooter in deep doo doo?

According to a Kare ll news report broadcast at 6 pm today the city of Minneapolis is investigating Roto Rooter. The city had dozens of complaints about Roto Rooter allegedly informing customers that their sewers which were plugged needed expensive exterior repairs requiring excavation.

Some homeowners would get 2nd opinions and the next drain cleaning outfit would simply clear the roots from the sewer.

One example provided was Roto Rooter charging ~$450, actually accomplished nothing, and informed the homeowner they needed ~$5000 in sewer repairs. The homeowner got a 2nd outfit out who cleaned the sewer for $200.

I looked unsuccessfully for a link so that an accurate recounting of the news piece can be provided. (I can't guarantee 100% accuracy in my recounting of the piece.) http://www.kare11.com/default.aspx
    I'm sure one will be provided shortly.

Roto Rooter's response is that it was a subcontractor. They claim they are working with the city of Minneapolis to resolve issues.

A while back I worked for Roto Rooter. At the time I worked there the payment incentive structure absolutely encouraged such behavior. I've never heard anything to indicate the structure has changed. Question, would you rather earn 30% of a $200 sewer cleaning job you do, or earn 30% of a $7000 sewer repair job on which you don't work on at all? (A sewer crew would do the work) There was one drain cleaning "technician" who wasn't a plumber who had a half dozen sewer repair jobs. (collapsed sewers.) in a 4 month period. I didn't see his. But in all the sewers I've cleaned in my life I think I've seen one legitimately collapsed sewer.

A comment on the broadcast news piece saying 54 new complaints came in may be a response to the newspaper.

http://www.startribune.com/investigators/116089404.html
    Last edited by geno gardner; 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Roto Rooter in deep doo doo?

Say it's not so I worked for RR myself and saw a lot of this
    They starve these tech's into a pack of hungry wolves.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Years ago wasn't there a septic tank company going around pumping grease traps then backflowing back into the trap, then claiming ...oh yea we went ahead and fill it back up with fluid for ya...then collecting...??? Dirty, dirty practices...I work for RR and it seemed like ever man for themselves...biggest issue I remember was recalls...guys would go behind you to your customers house and avoid the customer and say oh yea thats covered by warranty...knowing full well it had nothing to do with your job there...I caught many guys lying on my jobs....got into many fights...fu**ing thieves...
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

If home owners only knew the truth about Roto Rooter

If those people get together and start a class action suit against Roto Rooter they should also include a........Wow, brain cramp, the word eludes me at the moment.....Something that requires all RR's and their employees...um..I mean "subcontractors" to report/disclose all dig up's to the local Attorney Generals office or Consumer protection division.
        Last edited by Gene Bickford; 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
          Years ago wasn't there a septic tank company going around pumping grease traps then backflowing back into the trap, then claiming ...oh yea we went ahead and fill it back up with fluid for ya...then collecting...??? Dirty, dirty practices...I work for RR and it seemed like ever man for themselves...biggest issue I remember was recalls...guys would go behind you to your customers house and avoid the customer and say oh yea thats covered by warranty...knowing full well it had nothing to do with your job there...I caught many guys lying on my jobs....got into many fights...fu**ing thieves...
          Yep, I remember guy's selling an inside sewer & outside main cleaning the sewer "Combo" Would back up within 6 months or the customer just wanted a free snaking and say Their sewer was backing up Then a tech would go out and snake the outside sewer and claim both inside and outside sewer on the recall . Lots of that was going on.
          Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Here we go.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...umbing-company

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
              Yep, I remember guy's selling an inside sewer & outside main cleaning the sewer "Combo" Would back up within 6 months or the customer just wanted a free snaking and say Their sewer was backing up Then a tech would go out and snake the outside sewer and claim both inside and outside sewer on the recall . Lots of that was going on.
              I flipped one day...(got handcuffed for it)...cabled a kitchen sink for customer...3 months later they called, not complaining, said tub was stopped up, asked for me, I was unavailable, another tech went out, cabled the main sewer, and charged them then recalled me on the sink, I asked was the sink stopped up the guy said no but thats how you make money...wham about 15 minutes later I'm cuffed, but then released...didn't get too many recalls after that...come to think about it not to many techs talked to me after that...oh well!!!
              Last edited by dcman; 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM.

Derek

Comment

Absolutely!!! On one job I did a day later the company backcharged me to pay another plumber to fix a pipe I had never even worked on. They did this without talking to me or allowing me the opportunity to go back and address the customer's problem. I treat people fairly and expect to be treated the same in return. That was the last the evil empire saw of me.

Comment

I love the part when the News lady said RR was going to "Retrain" some of their techs Then a sub contractor was fired can you say scapegoat
                  Their all sub contractors at least they were when I worked for them.
                  Sir that will be $15,000 to dig up your sewer and $50.00 for a gallon of blue juice to keep that new sewer running free.
                  Rod

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post

Awesome...I was taught by an old fart who was pretty damn smart...he said when you go into somebody house...act like your on a hidden camera, be honest, and you'll go far...my point is two out of three aint bad

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by unclognh View Post
                      i love the part when the news lady said rr was going to "retrain" some of their techs then a sub contractor was fired can you say scapegoat
                      their all sub contractors at least they were when i worked for them.
                      Sir that will be $15,000 to dig up your sewer and $50.00 for a gallon of blue juice to keep that new sewer running free.

dude....i forgot about the magical roto-rooter drain treatment!!!!!

Derek

Comment

dude....i forgot about the magical roto-rooter drain treatment!!!!!
                        Act now buy two bottles for the price of three and you can win a trip to the Land of Make Believe.It works so good it's magical
                        Rod

Comment

Act now buy two bottles for the price of three and you can win a trip to the Land of Make Believe.It works so good it's magical
                          WOW! Reminds me of Johnny Be Quick
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I knew a guy who would wash the tar off his truck using the enzyme drain cleaner. (blue juice). It really seemed to work.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              I knew a guy who would wash the tar off his truck using the enzyme drain cleaner. (blue juice). It really seemed to work.
                              Its like glorified dawn...I asked what it was...got the double talk...and was told to sell-sell-sell!!!!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X