Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
    Best part it was 8 minutes from my house I like these type of jobs beats 6 hours of windshied time. If it was freezing out It would have sucked.
    still looked like an a** load of snow....ours all melted three days ago then the sewers backed up and got to lock in the hubs on the K-7500 dragging through yards!!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
      still looked like an a** load of snow....ours all melted three days ago then the sewers backed up and got to lock in the hubs on the K-7500 dragging through yards!!
      We still have feet of it here Once I got to the job site the clean out was about 30 feet into the yard said hell NO! I can't even see the clean out any where. Called the property maintenance to get out here with a snow blower and clear a path so I can find it. snow was about 3 feet deep in the back yard.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Good job with the roots. That's a nice view to have while working.
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Man you guys are deprived without having cleanouts in the lawn.

Here where I live..I want to cry if I don't see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post

Sad when we come across an outside clean out. It feels like we one the lottery
            Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

200' of cable on a downhill steep slope is a stuck cable waiting to happen

i have a handful of customers on hillsides with runs in excess 200'. those get jetted as i don't have to worry about the cable getting stuck.

that sludge pond down below was a break or another opening in the line?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i have a handful of customers on hillsides with runs in excess 200'. those get jetted as i don't have to worry about the cable getting stuck.

rick.
                So a hill and 200' of pipe will make the cable get stuck. Ok whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post

Up where Unclog lives there's only two houses in town that have lawns
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    So a hill and 200' of pipe will make the cable get stuck. Ok whatever.
                    since you don't do drain cleaning like most of us, i'll explain some physics to you

200' of 3/4'' cable / innercore weighs well over 200# add the fact that the line is very steep which makes the stoppage a miserable one. remember that water will exert .43# per foot on a water column. so when you get a stoppage in a steep line that is well below the c/o it has to be a miserable stoppage to hold back the water pressure at the base of the stoppage to hold back the plug. so when you add the weight of the cable, the friction of the cable, the fact that the line is very steep, you have a stoppage that potentially will not clear, but rather get you stuck.

a jetter has a lot less weight per foot and the only place a jetter can get hung up is at the nozzle. the hose doesn't grab roots and get stuck. the right nozzle will cut out roots and continue down the line.

6 hours of fighting a cable in the snow has it's rewards. but so does my 2 hour minimum with my jetter and i'm not fighting the cable.

i know i would have never attempted that line under those conditions with a cable unless i had access to a c/o at a lower elevation. that way i don't fight gravity or friction. yet with a jetter, it's no fight, just time.

hopefully you can understand the physics of a stoppage and how they relate to drain cleaning. if not, then you're not the master

rick.
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-19-2011, 09:49 AM.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

since you don't do drain cleaning like most of us, i'll explain some physics to you

200' of 3/4'' cable / innercore weighs well over 200# add the fact that the line is very steep which makes the stoppage a miserable one. remember that water will exert .43# per foot on a water column. so when you get a stoppage in a steep line that is well below the c/o it has to be a miserable stoppage to hold back the water pressure at the base of the stoppage to hold back the plug. so when you add the weight of the cable, the friction of the cable, the fact that the line is very steep, you have a stoppage that potentially will not clear, but rather get you stuck.

a jetter has a lot less weight per foot and the only place a jetter can get hung up is at the nozzle. the hose doesn't grab roots and get stuck. the right nozzle will right cut out roots and continue down the line.

6 hours of fighting a cable in the snow has it's rewards. but so does my 2 hour minimum with my jetter and i'm not fighting the cable.

i know i would have never attempted that line under those conditions with a cable unless i had access to a c/o at a lower elevation. that way i don't fight gravity or friction. yet with a jetter, it's no fight, just time.

hopefully you can understand the physics of a stoppage and how they relate to drain cleaning. if not, then you're not the master

rick.
                      I didn't even read but the 1st sentence of your post above.....because I have done plenty of drain cleaning. Get your facts straight. 200' sewers on a hill dont cause cables to get hung up...bad pipe does or an operator that doesn't have experience cleaning sewers.....or the wrong machine..etc. Sorry not this time rick...your wrong.

Comment

rick.
                        Never got a cable stuck going down a steep slope. Then again I don't just jam the snake and plow thew roots and keep going. Pick the roots out pull back go in again repeat. Good luck getting a jetter up there.
                        Rod

Comment

Last edited by AssTyme; 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            I didn't even read but the 1st sentence of your post above.....because I have done plenty of drain cleaning. Get your facts straight. 200' sewers on a hill dont cause cables to get hung up...bad pipe does or an operator that doesn't have experience cleaning sewers.....or the wrong machine..etc. Sorry not this time rick...your wrong.

you certainly never have snaked lines on a hillside. next time you're in a high rise, send 200' of 3/4'' innercore down a drain on the 20th floor without a stoppage and let me know when you pulled it all out without your helper

then add in some roots in at the 10th floor and see what that cable now feels like when you have to pull.

there is much more to drain cleaning than shoving a cable into a drain. why do you think there are broken and stuck cables when i show up to help out the owner who hired the wrong guy.

a 200' run on level ground is still over 4' of fall. a 200' run down that hill could be 50' or more of fall.

if you really do that much drain cleaning you would already know the dangers/ risk of the situation.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

my jetter has 500' of 1/2'' id on it's reel with another several hundred feet on another reel and then even more jumper hoses.

as far as snow, as long as i can tow the jetter to the job, i've got plenty of hose for the 200' run and back to the trailer.

now as far as towing it to the job in the snow, that's why i live in sunny calif.

having a choice of jetter or cable on this particular job, i myself wouldn't ever thought of a cable with the hillside, distance and drop.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

I don't do as much drain cleaning as some of you guys, but I do my fair share of it.

We have 1 client that's a 6 story high rise, and we have to rod the drains from the roof.

Me and pop struggle to pull out 200ft of 3/4" cable. It goes down nice and easy...pulling it back is a whole different animal.

I'm going with Rick on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X