Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

    Originally posted by Flux View Post
    I don't do as much drain cleaning as some of you guys, but I do my fair share of it.

    We have 1 client that's a 6 story high rise, and we have to rod the drains from the roof.

    Me and pop struggle to pull out 200ft of 3/4" cable. It goes down nice and easy...pulling it back is a whole different animal.

    I'm going with Rick on this one.
    I never said 200' of cable would be easy to pull back. getting hung up and hard to pull back are two compltely different things. One maybe requiring excavation and the other just requiring a man with some balls.

    Its not about taking sides its about common sense. Downhill slopes and 200' of cable doesn't mean you get hung up more. Thats simply not true. And thats the end of it for me...I know better and I'm not trying to convince anyone.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

      Originally posted by Flux View Post
      I don't do as much drain cleaning as some of you guys, but I do my fair share of it.

      We have 1 client that's a 6 story high rise, and we have to rod the drains from the roof.

      Me and pop struggle to pull out 200ft of 3/4" cable. It goes down nice and easy...pulling it back is a whole different animal.

      I'm going with Rick on this one.
      On several occasions we have had to get the truck with the winch to yank stuck cable. There ain't a lot of hills in Alabama
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

        Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        On several occasions we have had to get the truck with the winch to yank stuck cable. There ain't a lot of hills in Alabama
        You dont hafta live on a hill to know B.S. from fact. Google Birmingham and have a read.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

          Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
          Never got a cable stuck going down a steep slope. Then again I don't just jam the snake and plow thew roots and keep going. Pick the roots out pull back go in again repeat. Good luck getting a jetter up there.
          Agreed - always better to chomp at some roots and pull them out instead of trying to clear everything in one pass. The difference between experience and knowledge and a $50 drain cleaning company right there.
          Ideal Plumbing

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

            Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            I never said 200' of cable would be easy to pull back. getting hung up and hard to pull back are two compltely different things. One maybe requiring excavation and the other just requiring a man with some balls.

            Its not about taking sides its about common sense. Downhill slopes and 200' of cable doesn't mean you get hung up more. Thats simply not true. And thats the end of it for me...I know better and I'm not trying to convince anyone.
            since drain cleaning is not where you make your living, and from the sound of it, you never will.

            when you get a stoppage that can hold back lets say a 50' head of water, then you have to know that's not a simple everyday stoppage. i rather doubt too many guys would have been as successful as rod/unclognh

            when you assess an out of the ordinary drain call, you have to size up the entire scenario. in this case the distance, the drop, the fact that the line was stopped up and blew out the bottom of the hill.

            6 hours running a sewer machine under those conditions, i have to give rod credit for getting it done.

            i would say if he had a jetter and was able to get it there in the winter, the choice would have been a jetter with a root cutting nozzle.

            1 day when you get serious about drain cleaning, you'll learn how to make money drain cleaning and not get stuck with cables in a drain. until that time, you are not anywhere close to the master you claim to be

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

              Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              You dont hafta live on a hill to know B.S. from fact. Google Birmingham and have a read.
              Rick and I don't always agree. I understand what he is saying though. If you have a lot of fall on the line and it is clogged holding all of that fluid, then it can be a reasonable expectation that it is a bad clog of some sort.

              That's direct and immediate evidence that a cable is more likely to become stuck versus a "normal" clog. Doesn't mean it will at all. Just the percentage of the likelihood increases.

              Add the fact of the distance with all the cable and whatever it is of the bad clog that may end up on the cable, and it makes for a scenario of more work and an increased percentage of the cable getting into problems.

              Seems like common sense. Would you be more likely percentage wise to have a problem and harder time with a clog 10' out at 1 percent grade or with one that is 200' with 50' foot of fall?

              It's not a perfect formula, but reasonable enough.


              J.C.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Rick and I don't always agree. I understand what he is saying though. If you have a lot of fall on the line and it is clogged holding all of that fluid, then it can be a reasonable expectation that it is a bad clog of some sort.

                That's direct and immediate evidence that a cable is more likely to become stuck versus a "normal" clog. Doesn't mean it will at all. Just the percentage of the likelihood increases.
                That right there is why I agree - that's a lot of weight behind that clog.

                No disrespect to Rod on cabling the line, but if a jetter was available and you are able to get one up there (which he said wasn't possible), it would have been a better choice. I myself would have cabled the line as well, but that's because I don't own a jetter.
                Ideal Plumbing

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                  Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                  That right there is why I agree - that's a lot of weight behind that clog.

                  No disrespect to Rod on cabling the line, but if a jetter was available and you are able to get one up there (which he said wasn't possible), it would have been a better choice. I myself would have cabled the line as well, but that's because I don't own a jetter.
                  Only jetters in these parts are cart jetters due to the serious lack of commercial and industrial business. City has a jet with only 300 feet of 1 inch hose Just lugging the equipment down the path was over 300 feet itself then another 200 feet from the clean out to the street below. Only way was to cable. This was a job for someone very experienced with a drum to handle this task. The DM-55 can do these types of jobs all day long no problem. Just time consuming to do a proper job.
                  Can't believe this turned into an issue
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                  Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                    Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                    Only jetters in these parts are cart jetters due to the serious lack of commercial and industrial business. City has a jet with only 300 feet of 1 inch hose Just lugging the equipment down the path was over 300 feet itself then another 200 feet from the clean out to the street below. Only way was to cable. This was a job for someone very experienced with a drum to handle this task. The DM-55 can do these types of jobs all day long no problem. Just time consuming to do a proper job.
                    Can't believe this turned into an issue
                    Yeah... what he said except take out DM-55 and put K-7500!
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                    Derek

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                      Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                      This is why it's still good to carry a drum machine

                      Well, they called this morning about that 200 foot sewer run I posted on another thread yesterday. Line runs threw a small forest of trees 200 feet to a manhole on the street below. Pull up to look up the hill to see the grade and the lay of the land and there is raw sewage coming up out of the ground about 170 feet down. Picture 1 shows the awesome "Sludge Slide" Last picture is the nice view I had while running this 200 foot sewer also 60 degree's out today. Loaded with roots at every section of clay took 6 hours to remove the roots. Only took one photo of roots they were all about the same size coming out.
                      Nice view's but then 4 family home was a DUMP!

                      Customer turned down using the camera Had the city come out open thier manhole and we dye tested from building to test flow.




                      Anyone who will shovel snow to find a CO deserves a nomination imho.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

                      Fruit flies like a banana.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                        Originally posted by dcman View Post
                        Yeah... what he said except take out DM-55 and put K-7500!
                        Can the K-7500 run 500 feet of cable and make over head sewers a snap? Dcman I tride a 7500 the DM-55 whipped it.

                        Vey Easy on over heads
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-19-2011, 10:56 PM.
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                        Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                          Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          Can the K-7500 run 500 feet of cable and make over head sewers a snap? Dcman I tride a 7500 the DM-55 whipped it.
                          500 feet??? never tried it most had been bout 200....overhead=crazy.... but isn't the DM-55 a open basket??? TOO MESSY FOR ME!!
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                          Derek

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                            Originally posted by dcman View Post
                            500 feet??? never tried it most had been bout 200....overhead=crazy.... but isn't the DM-55 a open basket??? TOO MESSY FOR ME!!
                            Never made a mess you can get a closed drum for it also Never ran 500 feet myself most was 400 feet Back in the RR day's had to call a 2nd van in with another 200 feet.
                            Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM.
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                            Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                              Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                              Never made a mess you can get a closed drum for it also Never ran 500 feet myself most was 400 feet Back in the RR day's had to call a 2nd van in with another 200 feet.
                              What size is that cable? And what size was that drain? Was that is a crawl space? Same for me anything over 200 call a second truck....most for me with cable was 300..which sucked a**!!
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                              Derek

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

                                Originally posted by dcman View Post
                                What size is that cable? And what size was that drain? Was that is a crawl space? Same for me anything over 200 call a second truck....most for me with cable was 300..which sucked a**!!
                                11/16 drain was 3 inch loaded full of sewer water if I pulled the clean out cap would have been a flood Poped the sewer clear and finshed from the clean out from foundation. It can handle 200 feet no problem very rare to do that around here Most sewers are 80 feet or less.
                                The 11/16 can jump a house trap and navigate the crazy drains better than the 3/4 inch cable around here.
                                The 400 footer was at a roller skating rink job was hell. No clean outs strait run from out side the bathroom from a clean out in the floor to the city sewer. Pulled out a tee shirt, tampons paper towels.
                                Rod
                                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                                http://unclognh.com
                                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                                Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X