Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Today's 200 foot run Good day to own a drum

Ok guys..I have a question.

In my situation here with the 6 story high rise, would you guys use a drum machine instead of sectional from the roof?

Now these vents are like 36" high.

My thought is...if you use a drum machine to clear the line, when you pull it back, and the cable gets stuck, it will pull the machine or possibly break the pipe. These drains in this building are fragile from all of the years of Acid being pour down them.

We were told up front jetting isn't an option in fear of flooding out and apartment down below.

How would you guys attack this?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
      Ok guys..I have a question.

In my situation here with the 6 story high rise, would you guys use a drum machine instead of sectional from the roof?

Now these vents are like 36" high.

My thought is...if you use a drum machine to clear the line, when you pull it back, and the cable gets stuck, it will pull the machine or possibly break the pipe. These drains in this building are fragile from all of the years of Acid being pour down them.

We were told up front jetting isn't an option in fear of flooding out and apartment down below.

How would you guys attack this?
      Typically a high rise is considered 12-stories or above. I would not be too concerned about using a sectional machine in a 6-story building. There are a couple of different ways to secure your cable when you need to. That said having an auto feed would be a lot easier to retrieve your cable and having 40' left in the drum wouldn't hurt either.

The high rise I was working on was a 13-story building and I was working on a kitchen stack that was having reoccurring problems. I snaked it from the 12-floor with a helper on the 11-floor running hot water. There were maintenance men scattered through other floors as a just-in-case. I used a sectional trying to increase the amount of grease removal. The cleaning was successful and we no longer had a problem with the line.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Typically a high rise is considered 12-stories or above. I would not be too concerned about using a sectional machine in a 6-story building. There are a couple of different ways to secure your cable when you need to. That said having an auto feed would be a lot easier to retrieve your cable and having 40' left in the drum wouldn't hurt either.

The high rise I was working on was a 13-story building and I was working on a kitchen stack that was having reoccurring problems. I snaked it from the 12-floor with a helper on the 11-floor running hot water. There were maintenance men scattered through other floors as a just-in-case. I used a sectional trying to increase the amount of grease removal. The cleaning was successful and we no longer had a problem with the line.

Mark
        Hey Mark would you happen to know how the stacks are setup in high rises???

it probably varies from bldg to bldg

I remember doing a 25 story bldg and the tenant on the 6th floor said he heard a plumbers snake going down his stack in the kitchen, the next thing he knew when he used the kitchen sink it started to backup, so we assumed that someones glog from above was just pushed down lower and it now became my tenants problem.

I snaked his kitchen with my k-45 which is 25 feet and it did not reach the glog. We went to the unit directly below us on the 5th floor and tested his kitchen but it was not backing up. This led me to believe that there may have been more vertical stacks in this bldg designated for kitchen drains. so maybe every 2 or 3 floors shared the same stack??????

btw: i got my k-400 drum which was 75 feet and it reached the clog from the tenants 6th floor unit.
        Last edited by dhdc; 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
          Hey Mark would you happen to know how the stacks are setup in high rises???

it probably varies from bldg to bldg

I remember doing a 25 story bldg and the tenant on the 6th floor said he heard a plumbers snake going down his stack in the kitchen, the next thing he knew when he used the kitchen sink it started to backup, so we assumed that someones glog from above was just pushed down lower and it now became my tenants problem.

I snaked his kitchen with my k-45 which is 25 feet and it did not reach the glog. We went to the unit directly below us on the 5th floor and tested his kitchen but it was not backing up. This led me to believe that there may have been more vertical stacks in this bldg designated for kitchen drains. so maybe every 2 or 3 floors shared the same stack??????

btw: i got my k-400 drum which was 75 feet and it reached the clog from the tenants 6th floor unit.
          Some of the higher multistory buildings do what they call a suds relief. One way of doing that is after so many floors down vertical it goes horizontal for so many feet then resumes being vertical once again. If you happen to be on the floor where they went horizontal it will take more than 25' to reach down to the next floor.

Also the cable in your K-45 might of been to small to clear the blockage in the sink line stack.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

rule of thiumb is if the floor plan is the same on the floor below, then the piping is common. but if the layout/ floorplan is different, then the piping is probably not going to share the same riser.

5 stories and less. i jet from the top. but you really need to know the building and layout. plus you need to have regular maintenance so that you aren't jetting a stopped up line.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

There is also relief vents which help on multi story risers.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                There is also relief vents which help on multi story risers.

Mark

on 10 stories and taller. every 3? floors they relief/ re-vent

lots of parallel waste and vent risers in a high rise. up to 4 lines side by side

rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rod, I love the quote "Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals." So true, and something I think about everytime I get a "Shopper" on the phone looking for prices. For them, the price is never low enough. Also liked, "Can't believe this turned into an issue." Never can tell when something will hit a nerve! 6 hours of cabling, you really earned your money that day. It took a lot of patience, discipline, and plain old work to do that. I'm with Rick and Ace in that I much prefer jetting over cabling when possible. I'd also guess that if you had a jetter, you'd have freeze issues I don't have here. While jetting in below freezing temperatures sounds miserable, cabling isn't much more appealing. Glad to hear you're busy and getting the job done.

Comment

I do a lot of high rises. A couple of things I've learned(the hard way). Don't try to be Mr. Super plumber and try to thoroughly clean the line on these kinds of jobs Not gonna happen. Go only as far as necessary. I've seen to many lower units flood out because I ran the snake to far. For instance; running the snake 20+ft. from let's say the sixteenth floor and then flooding the fifth or first floor. The line almost always goes from two inch to either 3 or 4 inch and is full of sludge. Talk about a mess! Same thing with a big cutter. Don't do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X