Spade Cutters And P Traps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spade Cutters And P Traps

Does anyone have trouble navigating a spade cutter (pictured below) through 3” and 4” P traps? Does the cutter get caught in the gap on the hub between the trap weir and the connecting pipe? If so, what do you do to get through the trap?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RDT; 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM. Reason: added picture of spade cutter

Re: Spade Cutters And P Traps

Can you post a pic of the cutter you are referring to ?
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by RDT View Post
      Does anyone have trouble navigating a spade cutter (pictured below) through 3” and 4” P traps? Does the cutter get caught in the gap on the hub between the trap weir and the connecting pipe? If so, what do you do to get through the trap?

You know I rarely use that cutter..What size 5/8", 7/8" ..Try running in reverse just to get through....Oh I use a special auger for that
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        Oh I use a special auger for that

Really.................

Comment

If I'm going through a cast iron trap I usually just use the worm head. Spade can get caught on the trap lip sometimes. Trap leader is always used with spade. Push hard while bumping the clutch forward and then reverse usually does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            Really.................

Yep.....
            Last edited by OLD1; 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I use what I call an arrowhead. Shaped just like a spade bit, but two spades 90 degrees from each other, so it has 4 points.

Not very effective on a clog though, so I made (refining) a head thats better. so far I've jumped 3 out of 4, 4" traps. Turns out the 4th was rotted out on the bottom.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Where are you guys having to deal with these 3" or 4" traps ? The only place I know of them around here is in this certain trailer park that I service.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  Where are you guys having to deal with these 3" or 4" traps ? The only place I know of them around here is in this certain trailer park that I service.
                  Here about 8 of 10 home I service have a trap.
                  Of those 8 about 2 have no clean out/bypass so the only way to the main is through the trap
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    Here about 8 of 10 home I service have a trap.
                    Of those 8 about 2 have no clean out/bypass so the only way to the main is through the trap
                    What kind of trap ..Whole house trap

Comment

What kind of trap ..Whole house trap

Yep. Most of the older homes have them.
                      Maine is about 95% older homes.

OK... well maybe not 95%, but most of what I deal with is older homes unless they are on septic.

Don't take this as fact, but I'm guessing whole house traps where installed here up until the late 1950's.

Comment

We don't have those.. You figure a good trap leader would get you through it

Comment

We don't have those..

You're spoiled
                          To top it off, you probably even have those crazy outside clean outs I've seen once.
                          Last edited by Gene Bickford; 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM. Reason: you're/your oh well, it's all pretty much the same :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            Your spoiled
                            To top it off, you probably even have those crazy outside clean outs I've seen once.
                            I know... rarely do I get an outside cleanout either

Comment

I new of 1 whole house trap in my town ..But i cut it out its no problem any more

Comment

Working...
                              X