X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen/lav/shower drain warranty

Most of us have a feel when drains are just not working up to snuff due to age, needed repeat cleanings over time, cables come back white due to grease or by the Customer words, etc. We try to give the Customer an honest assessment based on our expertise. BUT,

How many of you get the calls stating: "you cleared my line a 2/3 weeks ago, but it never really worked well, but we just got around to calling you back"

My response is usually: "You should of called me right away if you were experiencing issues". You really get the gut feeling they want something for nothing.

When I test a kitchen line, I fill up the sinks and let them drain and run H2O continually until I clean up my equipment and bring in the invoice, this could be 10 to 15 minutes. I tell my Customers right up front to call me right away if problem comes back and also stress that I cannot control what folks put down their sinks. Of course they ALL swear up and down that NOTHING "bad" goes down that drain.

Typically and if they are repeat Customers, I'll come back out for a discounted price. Because I'm a softy, Senior citizens usually get it for free the first time. New Customers, I give slightly less latitude.

Whats your take?

Re: Kitchen/lav/shower drain warranty

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    Most of us have a feel when drains are just not working up to snuff due to age, needed repeat cleanings over time, cables come back white due to grease or by the Customer words, etc. We try to give the Customer an honest assessment based on our expertise. BUT,

How many of you get the calls stating: "you cleared my line a 2/3 weeks ago, but it never really worked well, but we just got around to calling you back"

My response is usually: "You should of called me right away if you were experiencing issues". You really get the gut feeling they want something for nothing.

When I test a kitchen line, I fill up the sinks and let them drain and run H2O continually until I clean up my equipment and bring in the invoice, this could be 10 to 15 minutes. I tell my Customers right up front to call me right away if problem comes back and also stress that I cannot control what folks put down their sinks. Of course they ALL swear up and down that NOTHING "bad" goes down that drain.

Typically and if they are repeat Customers, I'll come back out for a discounted price. Because I'm a softy, Senior citizens usually get it for free the first time. New Customers, I give slightly less latitude.

Whats your take?

I offer a one time 60 day free rodding unless I pull something back or see obvious abuse.

Comment

I give 90 days. If I pull a toy or something else from a toilet. there is no warranty. I have one customer that I have to pull toys and objects from their toilet atleast 3 times a month. I give them a discount but no warranty.

Comment

Residential customers get 30 days except for toilets...no warranty...Commercial customers get 30 days on non-grease lines...no toilet warranty...Now having said that if I think there might be structural problems then I tell them no warranty and write it down...hope this helps!!
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post

Whats your take?
          Warranty? Easy. Ten minutes or ten gallons. Whichever comes first.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post

You could at least offer a tail light warranty

Comment

I like the way you think.

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                I give 90 days. If I pull a toy or something else from a toilet. there is no warranty. I have one customer that I have to pull toys and objects from their toilet atleast 3 times a month. I give them a discount but no warranty.
                Toys in the toilet 3 times a month?!? If some people would realize that children are able to be trained they could certainly save themselves a lot of money. Good for you though.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                  Residential customers get 30 days except for toilets...no warranty...Commercial customers get 30 days on non-grease lines...no toilet warranty...Now having said that if I think there might be structural problems then I tell them no warranty and write it down...hope this helps!!
                  This is exactly how I do it...

I usually seesnake it if I can after I clear it. If I find issues with the drain then obviously no warranty.

I also fill up the kitchen sink (both sides if applicable) and let them drain. I ususally run water down what ever fixture / drain it was that I cleared for a good while and while I am cleaning up. Usually about 15-20 min.

I find that drains are the hardest to warranty...
                  Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                  Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

It is kind of hard to warranty to drains - customers always throw stuff that doesn't belong into their poor, unsuspecting drain lines. It's especially hard for me to warranty a drain because I make extra sure that the line is cleared properly. I'll run a cable a dozen times if that's what it takes (and yes, I've said that before ) and I always run a buttload of water when I'm done. Kitchen sinks will get filled both sides and run for about 10-15 minutes, bathtubs get filled up about halfway then drained, toilets are flushed about 10 times, etc. I want to be sure I clean that line so that I don't embarass myself by getting called back.

So far, I haven't gotten called back for a drain except for at two houses, and those two have "compromised" drain systems and I don't offer any warranty for those. They both need a cleaning every 3-4 months.
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Would you warrantee this? Maintenance does not know why the sink gurgles so loud when the washer drains

Attached Files
                      Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-26-2011, 08:24 PM.
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                        Would you warrantee this? Maintenance does not know why the sink gurgles so loud when the washer drains

Warranty...no abla english...gotta tell ya if maintenance was standing there telling me the don't get it (would be my response!!)

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post

in that last pic, is that the washer coming in from the right down low, with the step up? that's kind of a trap function-wise anyway... not saying its right by any means but it would keep the line from gassing the laundry...

re warranty, I don't have a clear policy. If people ask I tell them their warranty is my concience, which is better than anything they'll get in writing. my take is if it plugs again soonish, I want to see it. I'll clear it again, probably camera it at no charge to make sure, find what I find, and charge or not as appropriate. I agee with others it is difficult to warranty a drain line because of the potential for abuse. Someone keeps cramming salad and pasta down their disposer and plugging their diverter tee, I'll keep clearing it and telling them not to and charging them. I'll even show them how to clear it theirself if they want. But it's not my problem they are stupid.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            in that last pic, is that the washer coming in from the right down low, with the step up? that's kind of a trap function-wise anyway... not saying its right by any means but it would keep the line from gassing the laundry...

re warranty, I don't have a clear policy. If people ask I tell them their warranty is my concience, which is better than anything they'll get in writing. my take is if it plugs again soonish, I want to see it. I'll clear it again, probably camera it at no charge to make sure, find what I find, and charge or not as appropriate. I agee with others it is difficult to warranty a drain line because of the potential for abuse. Someone keeps cramming salad and pasta down their disposer and plugging their diverter tee, I'll keep clearing it and telling them not to and charging them. I'll even show them how to clear it theirself if they want. But it's not my problem they are stupid.
                            I guess you can call it a 3 foot long trap with a back pitch from the kitchen sink lol
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

Its okay to warranty a drain, but you know as well as I do that there is a difference in unstopping a drain and cleaning a drain properly. Your right you cannot warranty against abuse, so I explain that to them, but in Unclogged's case the plumbing itself is not correct...so I would not warranty on that fact alone....my advertising says all work guaranteed with certain restrictions when applicable...this gives me the power to warranty on a case by case basis...

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X