X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious and Stupid Question

I don't do alot of jetting...like 1 up to 4 times a year....and its only on grease lines...I've been researching and it seems like alot of you heavy jetters use it to remove roots. We don't get many runs over 100' in 4" pipe...I don't advertise jetting...thus I may or may not get calls for it...I want to start jetting more with my cart jetter...I was under the impression that you jet from the exit point back up the line...after reading in this forum I am mistaken...it seems like if you jet from a clean-out toward the street or what not...won't you be pulling back all that crap towards yourself when you remove the hose? Also in 4"-6" pipes on a 3/8" hose what would be the correct nossle to use? About how many passes do you make and do you also camera afterwards? Or am I being just plain old silly and should stick to cabling? Whats your guy's thoughts? Don't worry about hurting my feelings...I want it like it is!! ( I would rather here it from you than my competion or customers) THANKS!!!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: Curious and Stupid Question

it's always best to jet upstream, but it's usually not feasible due to no 2 way c.o or a wye/ comby that prevents you from going too far back. jetting downstream can be messy, especially with a stoppage or too much water.

the best nozzle for your portable cart is the root ranger. this has the most power of any nozzle out there.

a camera before and after is always a bonus when you have roots and jet. use the camera to mark your location and transfer your jet hose to it. also if you use your camera while jetting, make sure to keep it back 5 feet while it's running. then shut the jetter and take another look or placement of the jetter nozzle.

what size is your jetter? psi, gpm, h.p?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      it's always best to jet upstream, but it's usually not feasible due to no 2 way c.o or a wye/ comby that prevents you from going too far back. jetting downstream can be messy, especially with a stoppage or too much water.

the best nozzle for your portable cart is the root ranger. this has the most power of any nozzle out there.

a camera before and after is always a bonus when you have roots and jet. use the camera to mark your location and transfer your jet hose to it. also if you use your camera while jetting, make sure to keep it back 5 feet while it's running. then shut the jetter and take another look or placement of the jetter nozzle.

what size is your jetter? psi, gpm, h.p?

rick.
      I had a feeling you were going to say the root ranger...its an 11 h.p. 3-4 g.p.m. and at about 2800 p.s.i. its an older general wire cart jetter...I don't think I would try jetting from inside a building but a yard c/o...??? I have cabled from inside to outside then taped the jet hose to that, pulled the cable out , untapped the hose and then jetted it out...cart jetter might be under-powerd for roots??? Never tried it for that so I don't know...

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
        I had a feeling you were going to say the root ranger...its an 11 h.p. 3-4 g.p.m. and at about 2800 p.s.i. its an older general wire cart jetter...I don't think I would try jetting from inside a building but a yard c/o...??? I have cabled from inside to outside then taped the jet hose to that, pulled the cable out , untapped the hose and then jetted it out...cart jetter might be under-powerd for roots??? Never tried it for that so I don't know...
        I have a J-3000 General cart jetter, and the Root Ranger. It really does a number on them roots. You do have to twist the jetter hose around to get the spray from the root ranger to hit all sides of the pipe. You can run the jetter from the inside out just need to use a jumper hose so you can leave the cart outside and bring in the jetter real inside to the work area.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I have a J-3000 General cart jetter, and the Root Ranger. It really does a number on them roots. You do have to twist the jetter hose around to get the spray from the root ranger to hit all sides of the pipe. You can run the jetter from the inside out just need to use a jumper hose so you can leave the cart outside and bring in the jetter real inside to the work area.
          Mines really close to that one...when I took over in 2000 this was part of the inventory...I gotta get of my a** and see if there are any other model or serial numbers on it...how much hose is your got...cause I have a hard time seeing a person twist like 200 foot of hose...or once again I might be a doofus and am not getting it????

Derek

Comment

Mines really close to that one...when I took over in 2000 this was part of the inventory...I gotta get of my a** and see if there are any other model or serial numbers on it...how much hose is your got...cause I have a hard time seeing a person twist like 200 foot of hose...or once again I might be a doofus and am not getting it????
            I have 150' of 3/8 hose on my reel. Twisting it is not that hard. You just make a loop with it and give it a good twist around. It takes a little practice. Sometimes with a regular nozzle you have to give the hose a twist cause its catching in a lip in the pipe or hitting a turn funny.

Comment

I have 150' of 3/8 hose on my reel. Twisting it is not that hard. You just make a loop with it and give it a good twist around. It takes a little practice. Sometimes with a regular nozzle you have to give the hose a twist cause its catching in a lip in the pipe or hitting a turn funny.
              See I knew I didn't get it...your talking about making short like curly q's in like 2 feet of hose...I gotcha...so 4"-6" pipe it works out pretty good?? I would think the only time this is used is in runs like over 150 foot or so??

Derek

Comment

See I knew I didn't get it...your talking about making short like curly q's in like 2 feet of hose...I gotcha...so 4"-6" pipe it works out pretty good?? I would think the only time this is used is in runs like over 150 foot or so??
                Works great in 4" and 6" pipe and it works well on short runs and long runs. There are some guys that do not bother with a rodder at all. They fell the jetter is the only way to clear a line.

Comment

Works great in 4" and 6" pipe and it works well on short runs and long runs. There are some guys that do not bother with a rodder at all. They fell the jetter is the only way to clear a line.
                  So you guys run it up and down stream in a pipe? What would happen if you jetted downstream and in pulling it back you pulled all that crap to the c/o...how would you get that stuff out of the pipe?? Or would it be so pulverized it would just wash out?? I ask only because I have not tried jetting down stream...only upstream...

Derek

Comment

So you guys run it up and down stream in a pipe? What would happen if you jetted downstream and in pulling it back you pulled all that crap to the c/o...how would you get that stuff out of the pipe?? Or would it be so pulverized it would just wash out?? I ask only because I have not tried jetting down stream...only upstream...
                    Going downstream I make multiple passes. The first couple I pull back with out any pressure and run lots of water to flush the line. Think of as rodding a line down stream, you run lots of water to help flush the line but you still might bring some roots and such back on your cable that might fall off along the way. So its always best to make more than one pass to ensure the line is clean.

Comment

I like to jet from a floor drain. That way whatever comes back can be sucked out using a shopvac.

Comment

Seweratz--Makes sense..probably like running a sectional or drum..takes time and practice to get it down...so now I need a K-60, trailer, root ranger, shorter hose...holy crap I must be in the business...

Plumberscrack--seems like alot of work unless your using a huge shop vac...

Which does make me wonder when jetting downstream if and when the line is flowing will it keep up with the water from the jet...seems like it would????

Derek

Comment

dcman - best thing you could do is grab a 2x10 abs pipe out of your truck, run it to a "T" connection into a 3x10 abs pipe, stick your jetter in it and have fun.

let your kids roll rocks, mud or balls down it and practice jetting or rodding the pipe clean.

I got a bit more complicated and longer layout in my yard, with two 90 degree turns and a 45 turn. IT helps me to visually see where the tip of the jetter is and how easy or hard it is to negotiate thru the pipe. I also learned how to make that loop with the jetter hose to control the tip in the pipe to hit the top of the pipe. go upstream, down stream, etc...

sometimes when im out in the field and we remove old pipe from a customers property and the pipe has debris buildup inside it, i bring it home and jet it to see how well the jetter cleans it.

Im new to jetting just like you so I dont think these other guys in here would need to practice in their back yard.

Comment

I usually use my house of office as a training ground...the neighbors think I'm already crazy...I have very limited jetting usage...the ideal of setting tees is very interesting...thanks!!

Derek

Comment

i made a practice system for my k-60 when i got it. i came from an electric eel model c. if my neighbors think anything about me they keep it to themselves. breid............

Comment

Working...
                              X