X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual vanities (aaarrrggghhh)

Man o man I hate these things! Upper level dual vanity and of course no clean out (are there ever?). It would be nice if the drain went straight down the wall to the first floor, but NOOOO it 90 across a hallway and 90's again down a wall to the slab (where exactly, I don't know). I decided to clean from the roof w/ my 700 machine and 35' of 5/16 cable. I'm able to run it out, but of course there is something that grabs my cable and won't let it come back without a big fight. Forward, reverse pulling it tight and letting it spring back a few times the cable lets go and I'm able to retrieve it. Doesn't touch the clog, lav sinks are still full, I do it all again with the same results and same fight.

I know pretty much where the pipes run and I would like to open the drain down at floor level to give me more a shorter run, more leverage and install a clean out, but the pipes are all inside the house and full of water. I told the Customers that I would like a day or two to let the water recede (if it does). But what if the water doesn't recede?

How would you evacuate the water? or what would be your strategy?

Re: Dual vanities (aaarrrggghhh)

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    Man o man I hate these things! Upper level dual vanity and of course no clean out (are there ever?). It would be nice if the drain went straight down the wall to the first floor, but NOOOO it 90 across a hallway and 90's again down a wall to the slab (where exactly, I don't know). I decided to clean from the roof w/ my 700 machine and 35' of 5/16 cable. I'm able to run it out, but of course there is something that grabs my cable and won't let it come back without a big fight. Forward, reverse pulling it tight and letting it spring back a few times the cable lets go and I'm able to retrieve it. Doesn't touch the clog, lav sinks are still full, I do it all again with the same results and same fight.

I know pretty much where the pipes run and I would like to open the drain down at floor level to give me more a shorter run, more leverage and install a clean out, but the pipes are all inside the house and full of water. I told the Customers that I would like a day or two to let the water recede (if it does). But what if the water doesn't recede?

How would you evacuate the water? or what would be your strategy?
    Shop vac the water out of bowls, then drop traps and stick a 25 foot garden hose and shop vac more, then drill a small hole where you want to put ur c/o and just play the drain game, then clean-out time...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Use a k50 on the roof vent then install a c/o.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

YOU NEED A BATTERY POWERED COLT SEWER MACHINE FROM TROJAN WORLDWIDE. COM

http://www.trojanworldwide.com/DC%20Colt.html

WITH 13/32"X100' CABLE RUNNING A 11/4"
        OFFSET BLADE

I GUARANTEE IT WILL OPEN THAT DRAIN UP

NO CUTTING WALLS OR PIPES FULL OF WATER

JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

[QUOTE=JERRYMAC;335875]YOU NEED A BATTERY POWERED COLT SEWER MACHINE FROM TROJAN WORLDWIDE. COM

http://www.trojanworldwide.com/DC%20Colt.html

WITH 13/32"X100' CABLE RUNNING A 11/4"
          OFFSET BLADE

I GUARANTEE IT WILL OPEN THAT DRAIN UP

NO CUTTING WALLS OR PIPES FULL OF WATER

been looking for a small line machine to replace my 380 does the cordless 100 have optional ac power for those dead battery dayQUOTE]b

Comment

maybe I'm missing something but I would put a bucket under the trap on a lav then open the trap slowly. unless some old fashion plumber glued up a schedual 40 trap. "Goll I hate that" Next you have to deal with the double t. that may be trouble getting the cutter to drop down.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
              maybe I'm missing something but I would put a bucket under the trap on a lav then open the trap slowly. unless some old fashion plumber glued up a schedual 40 trap. "Goll I hate that" Next you have to deal with the double t. that may be trouble getting the cutter to drop down.
              Something about upper level? Made me think two story house?

Derek

Comment

ditto says. i think you are making it a little to difficult. just me. use the bucket, pour it in stool. run you 700 machine. whatever that is. get your money. leave. breid.................

Comment

my take is the back to back/ side to side tee.

the roof vent is the best option if you want to avoid the tee. the k-50 with 5/8'' sectional cable is a simple way to clean a difficult stoppage.

i had one 2 weeks ago i need my camera to spot the tee and work the drop head perfectly to get the head to drop into the vertical line.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Something else that works for me is to take 1 5/8 section of cable with 2 bends so it looks like a "J". Hand feed the sction so once it hits the drop it automatically goes down. Then use the k50 to finish it up. I think the 700 was underpowered for the job if the OP was able to hit the stoppage but not move it.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Who are you people going up on the roof to snake a lavy drain through the vent?

I don't believe I've EVER seen a lavy vent terminate through the roof separately from the rest of the plumbing system. Kitchen sink vent yes, lavy vent, never. The only vents through the roof here are typically 3" and that won't get me to the lavy stoppage.

Drop the trap and work the cable like Junkie says, you'll get it eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I don't believe I've EVER seen a lavy vent terminate through the roof separately from the rest of the plumbing system. Kitchen sink vent yes, lavy vent, never. The only vents through the roof here are typically 3" and that won't get me to the lavy stoppage.

Good point!!! I've seen very few vents this would work for

Double T's are a pain and I've seen quite a few of those. I've even installed more than I'd like to admit now that I clean drains.

Comment

Like JERRYMAC suggested. I would have used my Spartan 300 with 75' of 13/32" and a drop head. If under 50' I would have used my K-39AF with 50' of 5/16" and drop head.

Comment

Thanks and clarifications

1) Yes, this line is seperate from all others, including downstairs kitchen and laundry. All other drains upstairs are working properly.

2) This line makes at least 2 90's before it even goes down the wall to 1st floor.

3) From the roof, the vent is seperate for this line will NOT accept air being blown through it (water in line including trap arm). All other close vents are free.

4) My Spartan 700 w/ 35' of 5/16 cable got caught up on something twice and took some work to free it both times (had me sweat'n for a moment or two). Jeez, I hate fighting w/ smaller cable.

5) The roof is thin composite shingles and cracks super easy. Very hesitant to take 300 machine up there. No good access point and I had to climb out an upstairs window to get to the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Next time your in Florida look up at the roof..you will see like at least 4 vents...very common for lavatory's vented on their own...now in Missouri your lucky to see one vent!!!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X