Bad septic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad septic

I still hate telling people there system is shot. This lady was holding back tears. There isnt many things you can use everyday for 30 years.

Re: Bad septic

Ya, I know, I've got a customer that way, they hardly have any money, we pump every 2-3 months, they share bath water, only flush after 2-3 uses, she collects her was water and throws it out the door, etc.

Besides, the failed system is on the only piece of property that is lower than their house, so it's pressurized or nothing. Also, two feet to solid rock, so a mound has to be built.

15 or 20K to fix it. A guy feels like a leech pulling in and pumping time after time, but then again I feel like a crook when I tell them what it's gonna cost to fix it.

This has been going on for years. They finally called and met with me yesterday. They got financing, so if this weather ever dries out we'll finish the mound we're on and scoot on over there I suppose.

Comment

the guy down the street told me mine was bad 25 years ago and should be replaced. (he pumps and installs them)

switched to another guy and he says it;s working fine, just pump it every 3 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
        Ya, I know, I've got a customer that way, they hardly have any money, we pump every 2-3 months, they share bath water, only flush after 2-3 uses, she collects her was water and throws it out the door, etc.

Besides, the failed system is on the only piece of property that is lower than their house, so it's pressurized or nothing. Also, two feet to solid rock, so a mound has to be built.

15 or 20K to fix it. A guy feels like a leech pulling in and pumping time after time, but then again I feel like a crook when I tell them what it's gonna cost to fix it.

This has been going on for years. They finally called and met with me yesterday. They got financing, so if this weather ever dries out we'll finish the mound we're on and scoot on over there I suppose.
        If they have children and they are sharing bath water you should call the state and turn them in to social services.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          If they have children and they are sharing bath water you should call the state and turn them in to social services.

c,mon man...seriously? yea, turn them in and see how your business goes with other people.

many people in this country are living in hard times and make do with what they have. at least they're washing the kids!!

Comment

Originally posted by mga View Post
            c,mon man...seriously? yea, turn them in and see how your business goes with other people.

many people in this country are living in hard times and make do with what they have. at least they're washing the kids!!
            I'd turn them in and quick. Ignorance breeds more ignorance and the cycle must be broke. Children deserve clean bath water in my opinion and if their parents loved them they would make sure their kids are clean. Bathing children in gray water is not appropriate parenting no matter how much or how little you have. The parents poor decisions in life are being forced upon their children by bathing them in dirty water. But yeah yeah...they love them so much.

Comment

No, I wouldn't do that and there's no need to. First of all the kids (2 boys) are very well cared for, by which I mean cleanly dressed, well-fed, polite and well-mannered, etc. As for clean, they're cleaner than 90% of the kids I see in the aisles at the local grocery store, and I'm sure when they get really dirty during the day Mom gives them each fresh water to bath in. Also, I know the family personally and he is a day farm laborer who works long hours just to feed his family. Furthermore, last summer already they had almost saved up enough money to make a replacement possible and their well went dry, so digging a new well used it up and they had to start saving all over again. And last of all, our regulators (thankfully) are good, common-sense sort of guys who recognize a bad situation when they see it and work with people who are trying. Yes, it is a bad situation, but if you want to know the honest truth I had the top onsite wastewater regulator in the state of Idaho come all the way from Boise (120 miles) and walk the site with me to try to come up with a solution that they could afford, and the local guys have all been there too.

Realistically, these people are doing a great job of raising their kids. They're teaching them a good work ethic, family values, etc. and the regulators eyes are wide-open to the situation so what value would there be in turning someone in? The worst thing that could happen is for social services to come in and take the kids, tearing apart the family and destroying their security and home life, which would be a major blunder just to get them each a fresh tub of water at the end of every day. I bet there's a lot of people on this forum who were raised in hard times who only had a bath twice a week period growing up, probably in shared water, and yet that generation, if anything, turned out better, healthier, stronger, more ethical, harder working, higher principaled people than this earth will ever see again. I guess I can't see the benefit of turning them in.

As a postscript, I met with them recently and they have finally managed to obtain private financing for the system. We will be building the new system as soon as Mother Nature lets the ground dry up enough to work.

Comment

Originally posted by mga View Post
                the guy down the street told me mine was bad 25 years ago and should be replaced. (he pumps and installs them)

switched to another guy and he says it;s working fine, just pump it every 3 years or so.
                MGA, I hear those stories so much and I know they are true.

There a several reasons for this in my opinion.
                1. Most people don't want to even have to look in their septic, so a long discussion on the subject is not something they care to take part in. Therefore, many pumpers, installers, or both try to take advantage of any lack of knowledge and tell them anything they can think of that may help make a sale. This may be the case with your previous pumper/installer.
                2. Some pumpers and installers know amazingly little about the science of a septic system. We are required to take continuing education courses to keep our installers license, and during those courses some installers ask such stupid questions you wonder how they ever got their license in the first place. If he doesn't know how to troubleshoot a system or even how they work, he's probably going to give poor advice.
                3. In this business, people (due to their lack of knowledge) generally soak up whatever we tell them like a sponge. Before we started pumping a friend in the business told me,"You better be absolutely sure you know what you're talking about before you tell anyone something as a septic professional because they'll believe anything you tell them." For example, if I tell them for a family your size I recommend pumping every 3 years and it backs up in 2 years it's "YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU SAID 3 YEARS!" So, I might get to a place that's backed up and pump the tank and see large volumes of water flowing back from the drainfield, indicating with a large degree of certainty that the drainfield is saturated. I can tell the people what I see and give a recommendation, but I have no control over their life or decisions, so if what I told them scares them and causes them to make changes in their habits to conserve water and they pump more often the system might recover. Does that mean I was wrong? No, but likely they will think I was and won't recognize that I was actually telling the truth and being honest.
                I have no way of knowing the conditions under which you were told you had a failing system, but knowing what I know about many in the septic service and even drain cleaning and plumbing industries I would not be surprised if he was trying to sell you an unneeded repair.

The way we do it is we usually try to explain that if we pump as often as needed short-term and try to conserve water this thing may be OK yet, but backflow (or boggy soil, heavy sludge in outlet pipe, etc.) is a bad sign and if all else fails we may be looking at a new drainfield.

The septic business is a prime breeding ground for crooked business owners because first of all most people don't know enough about the systems to recognize when someone is trying to scam them, and they don't want to learn more about them either because septics are !!!GROSS!!!, so a dishonest person can sell about anything to a gullible homeowner.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  I used to work for the Department of Health.
                  If they rinse with clean water, it should be OK.
                  We take showers because they use less water than baths.

If I were they, I'd pipe gray water out onto the yard or garden.
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-28-2011, 06:43 AM.
                  I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                  It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                  "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

There was one time I felt like turning someone in. This fairly large landowner/rancher called me to come look at a septic replacement in his rent house. The place had a small dug-out basement common in this area which is used for storage only, not living space. Anyhow, the entire basement had about a foot of raw sewage in it, and there was a Hispanic family living in the house. The owner said that it had been like that for quite a while.

I still don't know why I didn't turn him in, it gripes me to this day when I think about it. He decided that replacing the system would cost too much (he's got a reasonable amount of money in the bank as far as I know) and I have no idea what happened.

I suppose at the time I was broke and needing work and I figured that since I was the one who saw it he would know it was me who turned him in and I for sure wouldn't get the job, which I needed, so I kept my mouth shut. I sure wished the folks living in the house would've complained to the health department though.

That's the problem with living in a very small community, if I squealed on him within a month the whole community would know it and I'd probably have a hard time getting people to call me when they had a problem.

Comment

Google "septic system loans" +your state/county.

Many communities/states have low to no interest loans with long pay off terms for failing septic systems.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                      X