X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/8 o. W.

This cable came with a K 60 I bought off E-Bay. I've got about 80' in 10' sections. It's been so long since I ran a machine that it'd be best to say I don't know anything.
    My question is about the cable, would you use it ?
    Attached Files

Re: 7/8 o. W.

video at the link,
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...758#post240758
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the link.
      How do you know a cable is worn out ? Some of these threads, guys find broken cables in the drains. What causes them to break ?

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
        Thanks for the link.
        How do you know a cable is worn out ? Some of these threads, guys find broken cables in the drains. What causes them to break ?
        Over torqued.
        could be worn on the kinks

Comment

Yes, probably, after checked the following as I coiled it back up.
          I would couple and uncouple all connections and hit them with lube.
          I would be looking for rust/corrision that has affected, ate away the metal.
          I would be feeling the cable for any points that is was too stiff or loose-or bad kinks.
          Then, I run it on my own lines to test.
          Then lube with snake oil until time to go to work.

While I prefer new stuff, used sometime makes cent$.
          Most used stuff is from people who used it two or three times and realized drain cleaning is easier on the internet than in real life.

Comment

It looks like there is a little bend on one of them, the problem with wowies is they make the cable vibrate and whip around in the line. You lose your feel for whats going on in the pipe. I keep them though because on grease and other soft stoppages they make all the cables whip and do a good job of cleaning. And you can take bad sections and make Ricks reverse auger out of them when they get too bad to use. Almost all cables that don't get used look rusty and old because they haven't got used, run them down a sewer and they look good again.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I did look at the kinks, didn't seem to bad. No noticeable damage(besides the kink.). Tomorrow I'll oil the connections again and see if I can get them apart.

Comment

10' sections would be 5/8'' heavy duty wind, c-9 cable.

look for flat spots on the cable. especially at any kinks.

also check for good spring tension at the couplers. a bad spring will give you problems if it's not popping the pin out.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

yeah, flat spots, that appear to be 'wide' spots.

don't know if this applies to sectional cable as well, but for close wound drum cable lay it out and if it wants to lay in a slow lazy spiral, it's been overtorqued and it's done.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

All useful info. Thanks. No flat spots, connections are tight. Oiled again today and pulled out the 60. I think the cables got some life left in it and will use it.

Comment

Oopps. There 15' not 10', that would be a C-10. Broke them apart with some 3/32" low hy. All seemed good, they loosened up with the WD40. I'll get one section of I. C. for the first section. I like the idea of that. I'm still debating on the rear guide hose.
                      Next tune-up is my two legged 50.
                      Attached Files

Comment

How much does rust on the cable concern you guys? Is light surface rust any big deal, or do you only worry when you start seeing stiff or brittle pieces?

Comment

rust is good that means the cables are getting used
                          rust is not much of an issue spray lube cables if you expect a slow down in use.
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

The tune-up

Originally posted by bmitch00 View Post
                            How much does rust on the cable concern you guys? Is light surface rust any big deal, or do you only worry when you start seeing stiff or brittle pieces?
                            Not really concerned with surface rust. If there were places where the metal was pitted, I'd trash the cable and buy new.

Comment

I. C. is ordered and on its way. I did buy some heads also. Now on to the 50.

Comment

Working...
                              X