Tools that really make you money.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools that really make you money.

The camera and Jetter combo return the most profit hands down!

Comment

My cable locater. I locate irrigation wiring and valves for myself and other contractors. It will also locate plastic water services by running a fishtape through them and locating it. Cost me about $250 13 yrs ago and I get $250.00 for every locate.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
        O.K fellas help me out, how is the camera such a great investment or better still how is it making you so much money? I would say your excavator or backhoe is the real money maker. Or am I missing something. sewers got replaced before cameras. and if I can't get a full size cutting head through a pipe I would say it needs to get replaced, very rare. or if I can't get through a pipe at all. very rare. my competion in drain cleaning and great drain cleaner agrees with me.

Does the customer see the roots in the pipe and wants a new sewer, or do you guys sell camera inspections that hard so you get the money for the inspection.

or do you guys have that many sewers you can't get a big cutting head through?
        I believe a camera is an excellent selling tool for replacement, repairs, or even cleaning. I think that even with a cable machine if you can see the problem you might add another hour or two to some jobs to get the line actually clean versus what you can determine strictly by the feel of the cable. It isn't about scamming, it's about proving to the customer that you are correct and there is a problem. They'll trust you more if they can see it with their own eyes, and they'll be more ready to get out their checkbook too.

Some people on here seem to think that if they can get the line open, etc., it's OK and doesn't need fixed. I do not agree with that outlook.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm in the business to make a profit and if I can sell more work I'll do it, but ONLY if it's in the best interest of the customer, even if that best interest means spending more money now. I read all the time about guys who disdain another contractor that recommended a replacement and they came and "got the line open and gave it a shot of RootX," indicating that they think the first guy was a ripoff. My view would be that if the line is giving problems camera it and you might be surprised by what you find. Sure you might be able to come open the line and keep coming back every so often to do so again, but myself I feel like if I can at least tell them,"Look, here's your problem, I can either come back from time to time to cut roots, etc. or I can replace it, which do you choose?" Many times customers have the attitude that they want it fixed right so they don't ever have to worry about it again.

To illustrate my point, I am a septic pumper/installer. I believe I have a pretty good grasp of septic technology, function, and performance. There are times that a pumper pulls up to a house and you know before you even get out of the truck that the system is GONE. Effluent on the ground, history of problems, etc. At that point I can do one of two things: I can tell the customer upfront and honest that your system is down the tube, or I can tell them that "Let's pump it and see what happens" (knowing full well that I'll be back). I can milk another 2 or 3 pumpings out of them at about $250 per call before I do the repair, which is inevitable in the long run. In which case would I be ripping off the customer? On the other hand, we jet drainfields a couple times a month to buy time and get as much life out of the system as possible. We provide the options and the customer makes the choice, but we gotta be honest in our diagnosis and recommendations. I have read on here before that a pumper who also installs is someone to be wary of because he may try to sell "unnecessary repairs," but my point is you can be dishonest on either side of the coin.

Same goes for camera work and selling sewer replacements. I can look them in the eye and say I got your line open, here's the bill (again, knowing fairly positively that the problems aren't over), or I can show them that there is a problem and a repair is inevitable, you can replace it now or keep cleaning it as needed and eventually replace it anyway. If I keep my mouth shut when I feel a collapsed pipe, heavy roots, etc. with my cable, knowing I'll be back, am I really being honest? Even if you don't do excavating/repair/replacements, you still need to know what your talking about if you want to be correct in your diagnosis, and a camera will allow you to do that.

I don't have a camera yet but I plan to get one very soon. I believe it will pay for itself very quickly. I will charge for the use of the camera and probably use it some to sell sewer replacements and/or jetting work. Again, not if it's not needed in the best long-term interest of the homeowner.

BTW, I'm not saying that there are not unscrupulous contractors out there. If in all honesty the sewer/septic is in pretty good shape guys have no business telling a customer it needs a repair, and those that use those tactics to make money ARE crooks. Not all selling is wrong though. It's all about providing a correct, honest diagnosis of the problem, showing proof that a problem exists, and giving viable maintenance or repair options to the customer.
        Last edited by SewerRat; 03-14-2011, 01:50 AM.

Comment

^^^ I hate when it happens to me when mechanics or a service company recommends additional repairs when it is not needed.

you are literally at the mercy of their judgment and to get ripped off when you are vulnerable sucks big time.

good for those of you that are honest. or should i say those of US who are honest

Comment

a good cheap plunger. My best investment so far. paid 2 bucks have made thousands off of it

Comment

My Wilde Slip Joint Pliers have made me more money than I can think off. I use them on EVERY job.
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

My Ridgid power spin has had the greatest return for me, been using it for 5 or so years, only cost 40 bucks and I have cleaned so many lav drains with it I couldn't count, not only that but it still works like new...

Comment

Originally posted by NEPlumber View Post
                  My Ridgid power spin has had the greatest return for me, been using it for 5 or so years, only cost 40 bucks and I have cleaned so many lav drains with it I couldn't count, not only that but it still works like new...

You and JC must be very lucky.

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-Kollman...owViewpoints=1

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                    Not lucky, we just got mad skills at our mastery over the power spin

Comment

What the deal with people bagging on See Snakes. I find many custmer dont want a guess. In a plant or a large kicthen you need to provide quality info not you think or it may. A hour with with a camara can save the custmer thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
                        What the deal with people bagging on See Snakes. I find many custmer dont want a guess. In a plant or a large kicthen you need to provide quality info not you think or it may. A hour with with a camara can save the custmer thousand.

Very few people around me want to pay for it unless the problem is reoccurring very often

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
                          I own a camera it is a great tool, but I think it has a terrible return on investment. I wish I could contract all my camera work out. let somebody else have $10,000. bucks rideing around in the back of there van. waiting to break or get stolen. I just can't figure how it is such a money maker. I figure the backhoe is the big money maker. unless it is that great of a sales tool, around here if the drain is flowing people are happy they know they have roots. If I get a full size cutting head through I'm happy.

Comment

It's a toss up between..

- General Toilet Auger

- Trap Plunger

- K-50

All 3 have had great returns for me.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                              I own a camera it is a great tool, but I think it has a terrible return on investment. I wish I could contract all my camera work out. let somebody else have $10,000. bucks rideing around in the back of there van. waiting to break or get stolen. I just can't figure how it is such a money maker. I figure the backhoe is the big money maker. unless it is that great of a sales tool, around here if the drain is flowing people are happy they know they have roots. If I get a full size cutting head through I'm happy.
                              I do most of the work I do is contracting the thing out. My bigger iron pumper truck has more overhead and repairs. See Snake works every day with no gas not much insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                                Very few people around me want to pay for it unless the problem is reoccurring very often

so true so true
                                Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                                1-920-284-7471

Comment

Working...
                                X