K-45 af

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K-45 af

It's original cable for the k40. It actually says "speed bump". At the 30' mark, there's a "knot" which tells you have 5' left in your drum. It'll pass through the autofeed, just lift the levers.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you really don't have to worry about the hump as the auto feed will not feed the last 5 feet anyways on the k-39 or 45. only the older chuck units can full utilize the very last inch of cable.

but the advantage is the cables don't require you to remove the drum to get them out like you do on a k-40. the k40 has a small clip/ torque arm the has to be removed to get the cable out.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I can get it out to at least the 33' 7 5/8" mark. For me the sliding chuck helps out getting through the ptrap but not for getting through stoppages.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, are you telling me you can power feed a 35' cable 33' 7'' and power feed it back in

the drum doesn't apply any torque and the cable just slips inside

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

I have one k-39af and I can't stand it. It has broken down on my three times already. The last catastrophe was feed came off i my hand in front of a customer and I carried it out in pieces. I will post pics, when I can. I am going to look up the k-45 right now. I can't picture it.
            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Yes Rick, that's exactly what I'm saying.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i guess all of mine are broken

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Sometimes it's not how many tools you own but how you use the tools you got that matters.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick, I don't mean to make you angry. Just share your magic with us. What am I doing wrong. Maybe its that we have Pvc here and not ABS. I don't know?
                    Please help
                    Last edited by Plumbingbyjay; 03-16-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                      Rick,

I have one k-39af and I can't stand it. It has broken down on my three times already. The last catastrophe was feed came off i my hand in front of a customer and I carried it out in pieces. I will post pics, when I can. I am going to look up the k-45 right now. I can't picture it.
                      Rick, I don't mean to make you angry. Just share your magic with us. What am I doing wrong. Maybe its that we have Pvc here and not ABS. I don't know?
                      Please help
                      my k-39 rarely sees abs/ plastic. it's mainly older gal/ durham and cast iron. i've got hundreds of cleanings on 1 machine with nothing more than a set of auto feed bearings. cables i remove after most jobs.

other than the feed falling off, what were the other 2 issues?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

The first issue was the motor just went out. It was my second use it. I keep the thing clean. I actually own and use ridgid rust inhibitor and only apply to the cables. The second time the slide clutch had a major malfunction. I couldn't get the cable to go in or out in any position. Ridgid took care of second issue, but I was on my own on the motor. It didn't cost much to fix it the first time. I think I may have gotten a lemon or something. I had a Milwaukee for 15 years before I got this one. I am talking to the rep in our area. I have given him a lot of business. I once sold three Sr-20 locators for him, so he likes me a lot. He said they were the easiest sales he'd ever made.

Comment

It really sounds like you got the k39 made on friday. Upgrade to the k45 or k50 if you're totally off the pistol grip style.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the slide clutch is a waste of time, space and money. useless after the first couple times.

motor or trigger switch?

the older k-39 and k-38 had a real drill motor. the new k-45 has a motor designed for drain cleaning.

i would say grab another k-39 and you'll be fine. but at this point, the k-45 will be a better fit. honestly i thought they were going to eliminate the slide chuck and shorten up the nose of the feeder

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Ridgid took care of second issue, but I was on my own on the motor.

The motor isn't covered in the lifetime guarantee ?

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-K-45AF-Ha...item230f1840aa

Are these any good ..Never used a pistol snake before.Figued it would be easier than trying to use the drum attachments on the k60 (that hasn't worked to well for me) ..Do they use the same cables as the drum attachments 5/16 , 3/8 , etc.. Looking for something small for tub , lavy drains etc. Or should I just look for a decent k-50 ..Sorry if I'm I am sure there has been more than a few threads on these things

Pistol Rods are more of a handyman/homeowner tool IMO. That's what I see in every handyman vehicle an old beat up pistol rod and a K-380 (or Cobra/Brasscraft or mini-rooter). Sorry Rick and other K-39 lovers but to me a pistol rod has its place for very specific tasks only. I do like the look of the new K-45, but an autofeed on a small drain machine is a little overkill IMO. I feel like I do a better job hand feeding for those long 8' lines.....if my pistol rod ever dies, I'm getting the electric eel with the jacobs chuck.

To me, the K-50 is the true professional's drain machine. It does everything it's designed to do and WAY MORE. The K-50 can tackle any interior drain and some underground lateral lines.

I use the drum attachments on mine with 1/4", 1/4" double drop head (for back to back lavs) 5/16" and 3/8" cable. the motor is smaller than the K-60, so you don't have to worry about over torquing the cable as much. I use the K-50 with 5/8" cable on floor drains, some fixture drains, etc.

I also have an old General HandyElectric with a Jacobs chuck that is older than I am and still going strong (but it does just sit on the truck waiting for the few customers that I have with 2" CO's at the ceiling or the very rare

My opinion is to get a decent K-50 with a couple drum attachments (they usually pop up on ebay a lot) and you will be set. Grab a used pistol rod with the manual chuck on craigslist for the drains that you can't use the K-50 on practically.
                                Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X