Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

    When my 3 week old .55 cable broke the cutter was still turning. It was stressed but didn't seem to be under too much stress. It surprised the hell outta me when it let loose

    The way it broke, does anything look odd ?




  • #2
    Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

    Is that the one you were trying to retrieve the rest of? Def. looks older than a 3 week old cable
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

      Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      Is that the one you were trying to retrieve the rest of? Def. looks older than a 3 week old cable


      Yup that's the one and you're right, it's about 2 months old. The cable running behind it is 3 weeks old I got them mixed up
      Last edited by AssTyme; 03-16-2011, 06:51 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

        Drano can cause this over time, just matters how much is in the line and if you wash it off when the line is cleared. Usually there are pits, cracks, or white spots on the cable.
        Seattle Drain Service

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

          Looks like someone over heated the cable when they welded/ silver solderd the end on and took all the temper out of the cable. I have had ones look like that when I first tried to repair cables. I wasn't keeping the cable cool enough and was trying to weld the end on so it never came off instead of spot welding it so the cable wouldn't unscrew from the cable. The old EEL cables never had a spot of weld on them and I never had a cable unscrew from the end. Looks like a case of over kill.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

            Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            Drano can cause this over time, just matters how much is in the line and if you wash it off when the line is cleared. Usually there are pits, cracks, or white spots on the cable.

            In which case the whole cable may be compromised. Take a real good look at it.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

              Acids does that to cable but by the way the winding looks, I got a feeling you got a bit to much torque on it. That magnum cable builds up torque a lot faster than standard cable. My brother snapped a few till he learned that the torque curve is different.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Acids does that to cable but by the way the winding looks, I got a feeling you got a bit to much torque on it. That magnum cable builds up torque a lot faster than standard cable. My brother snapped a few till he learned that the torque curve is different.
                Ron is dead on. Been through some acid and not rinsed. Definitely over torqued maybe not this use. At any time were you running in reverse?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                  Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Ron is dead on. Been through some acid and not rinsed. Definitely over torqued maybe not this use. At any time were you running in reverse?


                  I'm not sure where the acid would have came from and I almost always run water through the line as soon as I get it open.


                  I've been running the .55 cable for close to a year now and thought I knew how far it could be pushed


                  I only run in reverse if I get hung up.


                  Who knows.... I guess your not a true drain cleaner until you have gone through the ropes
                  Last edited by AssTyme; 03-16-2011, 10:29 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                    Maybe there was always a weak spot there/ bad weld etc..We need to send it to the forensics lab for further investigation..
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                      Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                      I'm not sure where the acid would have came from and I almost always run water through the line as soon as I get it open.


                      I've been running the .55 cable for close to a year now and though I knew how far it could be pushed


                      I only run in reverse if I get hung up.


                      Who knows.... I guess your not a true drain cleaner until you have gone through the ropes
                      Dude it happens...much like $h!t....I had a brand new cable once and I put it in a clean out and the head snapped right off the bat...reached down and pulled it out and went to my welder buddy...used that cable for about two years after that...sometimes there's no rhyme or reason....
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                      Derek

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                        I don't know.. to me the second picture shows there might have been an issue with the weld
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                          Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                          I don't know.. to me the second picture shows there might have been an issue with the weld
                          It very well could be...also it does look somewhat rusted and pitted from possible chemicals..could be a little of both...i know when welding this stuff a good welder makes a huge difference...I tried one other welder once and it was awful...the welder who does is now is a muffler shop welder...in the end it does suck that it happens...
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                          Derek

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                            Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                            I don't know.. to me the second picture shows there might have been an issue with the weld


                            I don't know.... I thought I would take some pictures and throw it out there for you guru's to look at.

                            It just blew my mind when it snapped while the cable was still turning after grinding away on a blockage for a few minutes.

                            Even the home owner was like WTF !!! He could also tell there wasn't much stress on the cable when it went.

                            Move on I must

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I Had My First Cable Break The Other Day....

                              Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              I don't know.... I thought I would take some pictures and throw it out there for you guru's to look at.

                              It just blew my mind when it snapped while the cable was still turning after grinding away on a blockage for a few minutes.

                              Even the home owner was like WTF !!! He could also tell there wasn't much stress on the cable when it went.

                              Move on I must
                              Sorry as I am not familiar spartan stuff...was the cable hollow core or inner core or ??? and what does the cutter look like complete?
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                              Derek

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X