Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If septic system, don't do all wash in one day?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If septic system, don't do all wash in one day?

Does too much clotheswasher use dilute the tank water and affect digestion?
    What adjustmentshould be made by one moving to a residence with a septic system?

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: If septic system, don't do all wash in one day?

If you are on a septic system, it would be better to do a load a day or every other day than to have a specified "wash day," where you do laundry a good share of the day. The reason for this is not so much that the bacterial action of the tank is affected (yes, technically it would be to a point), but in the affects that a surge of water will have on settling the solids.

A tank is sized to hold two full days' average flow, meaning that if you put out 500 GPD you should have a 1000 gallon tank, so that the waste you put in has two days for the solids to settle and the FOG (fats, oils, and greases) to float as scum. Granted, we are talking about a fluid and therefore there is mixing taking place and so forth that makes the calculation theoretical, but that is how they are designed to work.

If you have a day where you discharge a much larger volume of wastewater to the system, first of all there is much more mixing taking place that keeps suspended solids from settling, and secondly the high flow carries those suspended solids to the drainfield, where they can cause excessive biomat growth, soap scum/grease sealing off the soil interface, etc. It is much better to simply adjust your lifestyle to modulate flows and try to maintain a consistent average from day to day.

Comment

The environment in the septic system should be a relatively calm place in order to keep the separation require to protect the drainfield. If you use a bunch of water at one time, it can stir up the sludge off the bottom of the tank and carry it out to the drainfield. Another consideration is the temperature of the tank. Bacteria like to have a warm place to live, if you wash in hot water you can raise the temperature in the tank and possibly kill them.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
        If you are on a septic system, it would be better to do a load a day or every other day than to have a specified "wash day," where you do laundry a good share of the day. The reason for this is not so much that the bacterial action of the tank is affected (yes, technically it would be to a point), but in the affects that a surge of water will have on settling the solids.

A tank is sized to hold two full days' average flow, meaning that if you put out 500 GPD you should have a 1000 gallon tank, so that the waste you put in has two days for the solids to settle and the FOG (fats, oils, and greases) to float as scum. Granted, we are talking about a fluid and therefore there is mixing taking place and so forth that makes the calculation theoretical, but that is how they are designed to work.

If you have a day where you discharge a much larger volume of wastewater to the system, first of all there is much more mixing taking place that keeps suspended solids from settling, and secondly the high flow carries those suspended solids to the drainfield, where they can cause excessive biomat growth, soap scum/grease sealing off the soil interface, etc. It is much better to simply adjust your lifestyle to modulate flows and try to maintain a consistent average from day to day.
        You beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
          You beat me to it.
          Neener neener !

No, really, I just happened to stop by my computer and saw this unanswered question, so I knocked out an answer. I guess someone over in Oregon was doing the same thing at the same time .

You lifted out a point or two that I missed, and also I stand open to correction, if you ever see anything in my posts that is incorrect just call me out .

Comment

Lint filters ? Anybody sell them or seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
              Lint filters ? Anybody sell them or seen one.
              Where does a lint filter go?
              We used to attach a nylon stocking to the drain hose when it discharged into a concrete double tub.
              Years agour clothes washers had a round perforated tray on the agitator.
              Washer water would constantly cycle through it and the lint filtered out and balled up.
              Seemed like an excellent idea.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                Where does a lint filter go?
                We used to attach a nylon stocking to the drain hose when it discharged into a concrete double tub.
                Years agour clothes washers had a round perforated tray on the agitator.
                Washer water would constantly cycle through it and the lint filtered out and balled up.
                Seemed like an excellent idea.
                The lint filter goes in the wash machine drain and works much like your stocking did. One needs to remember to clean them periodically or the drain will overflow.

Dane, I don't sell them or even hear about them much. Weather they are needed might be a good question for Dr. Machmeir at the Pumpers magazine.

Comment

do a Google or E-bay search for the Filtrol-160
                  This is a washing machine in-line lint filter.
                  I have a septic system and today's washing machines do not filter
                  any debris they simply flush it down in the wash and rinse drainage
                  the lint will eventually destroy your septic system!

We have the Filtrol-160 and it really works well

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                    do a Google or E-bay search for the Filtrol-160
                    This is a washing machine in-line lint filter.
                    I have a septic system and today's washing machines do not filter
                    any debris they simply flush it down in the wash and rinse drainage
                    the lint will eventually destroy your septic system!

We have the Filtrol-160 and it really works well

Cactus Man
                    I don't think lint will destroy your septic system. It will add bulk to the tank requiring it to be pumped more often but I've seen nothing about lint only causing system failure.

Don't get me wrong, lint filters are a great idea and should be used.

Comment

It cant hurt. Remember the system starts to fail as soon as you use it. If nothing else it keeps your wash line from backing up.

Comment

Working...
                      X