Shower drain buildup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower drain buildup

What's the best way to clean the buildup that starts to restrict shower drains?

One of my calls this morning was for a shower drain that, after removing the grate was almost closed due to buildup. I basically, chiseled off the buildup and sucked it out with my shopvac.

What method or tools do yo guys use? tools, brushes,chemicals, all of the above?

Re: Shower drain buildup

Pretty much the same as you but after wards run the old K-40 through the trap with hot water to be for sure for sure...usually get hair after that....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Just got back from another one!

must be my day. This one was not as bad though.

I was thinking of some sort of wire brush (bottle brush type) attached to a drill motor that would clean this stuff up squeeky clean and command more $. Maybe an internal brush like the ones used for cleaning copper before sweating. I'll have to look to see what's available.

Comment

Re: Just got back from another one!

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        must be my day. This one was not as bad though.

I was thinking of some sort of wire brush (bottle brush type) attached to a drill motor that would clean this stuff up squeeky clean and command more $. Maybe an internal brush like the ones used for cleaning copper before sweating. I'll have to look to see what's available.
        Could get a a/c coil brush that looks like a cone and cut the handle off and chuck it in your drill and ream in and out through the riser and trap...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I found out the build up usually calcium..Looks like stalagtites..The tile probably needs to be sealed ..Some sealers last for a couple years or more..You'd be surprised of the new tile jobs that are never properly sealed
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            I found out the build up usually calcium..Looks like stalagtites..The tile probably needs to be sealed ..Some sealers last for a couple years or more..You'd be surprised of the new tile jobs that are never properly sealed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalactite

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              Yep that's it..
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i use a 1.5'' brass slip joint 90 tail piece 16'' long. of course a piece of copper tubing will do also. then the shop vac if needed followed by the k-50 with 5/8'' cable and 4 blade cutter.

the slip joint 90 prevents the tail piece from dropping out of my hands and falling past the drain into the trap.

a brass flanged tail piece will also work on 2'' drains.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X