X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetter engine problem...

If the cylinder is full of WATER the float has nothing to do with it.
    If it was gas it would.

I don’t care how much condensation there is it will not fill up a cylinder

Hydro locked refers to water in the cylinder.

If the cylinder is full of fuel it is flooded.

If the cylinder is full of oil and you did not put it there it is Furbarbed
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

Also hydro lock typically happens when and engine is running and a none compressible liquid is introduced into a combustion chamber “cylinder”

IE oil ,water, trans fluid and hydraulic oil.
      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
      1-920-284-7471

Comment

My guess is that the float on the carb is sticking in the up position.. hence the fuel run down into the cylinder.....Clean the bowl check the needle and blow it all out with compressed air and put the bowl back on very carefully ... make sure it isnt hitting the side of the bowl..in other words try to see that the float can do so with out hitting the sides of the bowl housing. Change the crankcase oil...as for the liquid in the cylinder..it suspect its just the gas...

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
          but the tank was mostly empty and I filled it at the pump today.

and the fuel shut off is leaking
          strangest thing I've ever heard of, but I think there it is.

empty tank, vented cap, leaking fuel shut off, 30 days...

I'm going with condensation in the tank, leaking down through the leaking shut off AND a bad needle/seat in the carb

replace the fuel shut off with one that shuts off, fill the tank after use and see what happens.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys and ideas fellas. I was too busy to look at it today. I'm shooting for tomorrow or Friday.

I'll let you know what I find.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I'll try not to repeat what everyone has said. Shouldn't be hydrolocked or major water in your cylinder. That said, I've had a lot of experience with these Honda engines. 1st, they run great, but.. when you transport them and bounce them around, I've found that the float valve(needle & seat) lets too much fuel into the float bowl. If your intake is open or not super tight, it floods the cylinder with gas, which will seep past the rings and dilute the oil in the crankcase and cylinder. So, you must have a working fuel shutoff and use it everytime you move it. Double check your needle and seat in the float bowl. Fresh oil in the crankcase and good to go. A bad shutoff can let a lot of gas into these engines. Tool manager at a shop I worked at yelled at guys everyday for not shutting off fuel to Honda powered generators.

Comment

Well the mechanic said the air filter was full of water and carb was too. He put in a new air filter and cleaned the carb and it ran great. He also put some staybil in the gas tank with fresh gas.

Fast forward to today, about a week. I pull it out of the tool box. Everything is dry. No condensation on anything in there. It won't start again. Cylinder was not full like last time. We drained some of the fuel off the bottom of the carb bowl and it was watery. Put it back together and it still wouldn't start. We took the air cleaner off. It was dry. We sprayed starting fluid in the carb and it would start and run until it ran out of starting fluid.

Obviously I have a fuel issue.

By the way I was wrong. It's not a 13 horse, it's and 11.

It just so happend that my Ridgid dealer called me today asking if I was still interested in the camera. I told him no, but I might be interested in a jetter! I don't have the $5100 for the new 5.5, 3,000 machine.

So to get me through today I pulled out my old backup machine which is 3,500 and probably 3 gpm and got the job done, however it was dieing randomly. It would start right back up run for several minutes and then die again. I'm going to check that fuel too.

I tell you this crap fuel we are getting now is pissing me off!

Comment

Wow! Perhaps a lock on the toolbox is in order. Disgruntled employee out there? After a good cleaning with fresh gas, shouldn't be any water that quickly unless someone added more with water in it... That ether starting fluid will let you know very quickly if you have 1. good compression 2. ignition spark with close enough timing 3. a fuel delivery problem. With good gas, sounds like you've got it fixed.

Comment

You can try leaving it indoors in a temperature controlled area and see if you still get watery fuel. That would prove or disprove condensation as the problem.
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

We had a v-twin come into the shop last week with both pistons locked. The rain cap on the upturned muffler pipe was so rusted it had allowed the muffler to fill with rain water, then the pistons, sump etc. Plumber had not used it while on holidays and jetter sat in the rain. Sold him a new jetter and traded the old one. the old one he bought from us 8 years ago....I'll get her going again!

I have also seen your problem. On one occasion we cleaned out carby, etc and found it happened again. The bad fuel was still in the jerry can he had on the truck that he used to refuel the jetter!
                      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Found gunk in the crankcase also. I'm thinking the engine is about shot. It is about 18 years old if memory serves me. The pump has never been rebuilt. Do they need that? I would assume they do.

So now. My mechanic found a 13 horse Honda GX 390 for $600 brand new, plus shipping. Should I rebuild the same pump, buy a new one, say screw it and buy a whole new machine?

Ideas? What would you do?

Comment

Just a heads up though this may have already been mentioned... My best friend owns an equipment rental company and sends his guys to all of the factory small engine classes (Honda, Kawasaki, Echo and Stihl ect...) He is telling me that gas with ANY ethanol in it is really bad for our small engines, Kawasaki just started voiding warranties when they find ethanol gas in the tank and Honda will not be far behind... The best I can understand it is the ethanol absorbs a lot of moisture which in turn separates and causes the carb problems and rust issues... Ethanol content is unregulated except that the provider is required to tell you if the fuel contains ethanol, when they say the fuel has ethanol in it the percentage could be as high as 40%, These high ethanol concentrations will destroy our small engines... Bill
                          Last edited by OkieBill; 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                            Just a heads up though this may have already been mentioned... My best friend owns an equipment rental company and sends his guys to all of the factory small engine classes (Honda, Kawasaki, Echo and Stihl ect...) He is telling me that gas with ANY ethanol in it is really bad for our small engines, Kawasaki just started voiding warranties when they find ethanol gas in the tank and Honda will not be far behind... The best I can understand it is the ethanol absorbs a lot of moisture which in turn separates and causes the carb problems and rust issues... Ethanol content is unregulated except that the provider is required to tell you if the fuel contains ethanol, when they say the fuel has ethanol in it the percentage could be as high as 40%, These high ethanol concentrations will destroy our small engines... Bill
                            Thanks Bill. I've been suspecting ethanol as part of the problem. I need to check with my fuel supplier but I've heard you can get super that has no ethanol in it. I may buy a drum of it for my small engines.

Comment

thanks for the update. still the strangest thing I've ever heard of. did it rain?
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X