Jetter engine problem...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter engine problem...

I've got the 13 horse Honda on my jetter. I went out to do a job today and found the cylinder was full of what appeared to be water. We always run it out of gas when we are done so there is no gas in the carb and the fuel supply is shut off.

It rides in an enclosed compartment on my septic truck, so It's not sitting out in the rain. I had the engine looked at last year and the carb rebuilt at the same time. Today the carb was leaking water from the gasket between the carb and the head.

This water had just a hint of fuel smell to it. Do you suppose the gas is so bad that within a months time it seperated out that much water?

The reason I took it in last year was for the same problem. I'm at a loss, but need to get this straigtened out ASAP.

Ideas?
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Re: Jetter engine problem...

these are air cooled/ oil cooled engines. there should be no water whatsoever in the carb, piston, oil.

are you sure the compartment is 100% watertight? are your garden hose connectors also water tight and not spraying into the carb when left on?

now the jetter pump having water in the gear case is understandable. the engine, is an explainable mystery

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

What do you mean by "cylinder"? It can't be the engine cylinder as the engine would blow up as water is non compressible.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        these are air cooled/ oil cooled engines. there should be no water whatsoever in the carb, piston, oil. I agree.

are you sure the compartment is 100% watertight? I've never seen the machine wet when I open up the cabinet. are your garden hose connectors also water tight and not spraying into the carb when left on? Yes, no leaks.

now the jetter pump having water in the gear case is understandable. the engine, is an explainable mystery

rick.

Next?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          What do you mean by "cylinder"? It can't be the engine cylinder as the engine would blow up as water is non compressible.
          It is in the engine cylinder. I couldn't pull the starter cord because it had too much compression. I pulled the spark plug and found the cylinder full of slightly gassy smelling water.

I pulled it over a few times. It spewed out a huge amount of water the first pull then a little bit each time afterward. I gave up on that machine and went and got a backup.

Comment

Not a licensed mechanic so I'm unsure if I should give you any advice but I think you have a leak somewhere. By some weird chance, is it possible your sense of smell and sight has gone down and the gas looks like water? How does your oil look? Milky at all? Do you leave the water supply on and connected to the pump at all times? Did you see any sign of corrosion to signify standing water? I just had my van sit for 8 months and the gas was still good, doubt the gas seperated. This is a good mystery, please keep us updated.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

not sure, but condensation could be an issue in oregon

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Is the gas you're using more then 30 days old?
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Not a licensed mechanic so I'm unsure if I should give you any advice but I think you have a leak somewhere. By some weird chance, is it possible your sense of smell and sight has gone down and the gas looks like water? How does your oil look? Milky at all? Do you leave the water supply on and connected to the pump at all times? Did you see any sign of corrosion to signify standing water? I just had my van sit for 8 months and the gas was still good, doubt the gas seperated. This is a good mystery, please keep us updated.
                  The machine does not stay connected to any water source. I pull it off the truck, use it and put it away. I doubt my sense of smell and sight are suspect as it should have fired if it was gas after I blew most of the liquid out of the cylinder. I forgot to look at the oil. I'll check that tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    not sure, but condensation could be an issue in oregon

rick.
                    I was thinking that but I just can't imagine that much condensation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      Is the gas you're using more then 30 days old?
                      It might be. Scratch that. Some of it was old and certainly what was in the carb and cylinder was old but the tank was mostly empty and I filled it at the pump today. I may try to put Stay-Bil in the tank between uses after I get it all drained out and dried out.

I'm peaved that the carb is leaking and the fuel shut off is leaking, after I had both of them fixed.

I'm going to drain the carb into a glass jar and see what it looks like.

Comment

if there is water in the cylinder it is hydro locked. there is no way that condensation caused this. unless the engine went swimming.

there is one 2 answers.
                        1 you box leaks
                        2 water got in the exhaust or intake some how.

the reason I say exhaust or intake is the engine only has one valve open at one time..
                        to rectify
                        1 remove spark plug
                        2 drain water out of cylinder
                        3 drain oil out of engine
                        4 fill cylinder with marvins mystery oil
                        5 fill lower engine with oil
                        6 let the eninge sit a few day
                        7 turn the engine over by hand or pull the rope really slow.
                        8 after doing step 7 a few day drain cylinder and oil,
                        9 fill engine with new oil in the crank case and put new gas in and try to start.
                        just my 2 cents
                        Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                        1-920-284-7471

Comment

Is it possible the temperature in the enclosed storage space changes so much it is heating up and cooling down the fuel tank and creating condensation in the tank and float bowl. The direct sun light on the enclosure can transfer a lot of heat into the compartment then at night it cools off possibly causing condensation. Just guessing.

Comment

I would buy a new float seat and float with needle to rule out the float sticking which is the most common hydro lock reason on a Honda. If it is direct drive unit the seal could be shot and that would make the oil level rise then fill the cylinder and cause hydro lock very very rare and your oil would be shot.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              I would buy a new float seat and float with needle to rule out the float sticking which is the most common hydro lock reason on a Honda. If it is direct drive unit the seal could be shot and that would make the oil level rise then fill the cylinder and cause hydro lock very very rare and your oil would be shot.
                              If that was the case shouldn't the liquid in the cylinder be oily?

Comment

Working...
                              X