X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay me now or pay me later!

I just got a call this morning from a woman living in a subdivision where we are currently installing a new septic system. She saw our job sign while walking the dog and called me to ask about septic maintenance, since she's always lived in town and is now living on a septic. They've been there seven years already, and "is there anything I can do to maintain my septic?" I asked the usual questions about water usage, people in the house, etc. She said that they were two people and four animals and that her husband insist on leaving a bathroom faucet run slightly to give the cats fresh water to drink . I said that letting a faucet run is not a good thing if you're on a septic and told her that it probably wouldn't hurt to pump it just to check sludge and scum levels and inspect the baffles and then we could give her a little better idea how often it should be pumped based on what we found. Remember, SHE called ME to ask what could be done to maintain her system. I didn't hard sell her, just gave her my honest opinion. She said she'd talk to her husband and call me right back.

A while later she calls back and says that she talked to her neighbor and HE said that the constantly running cat water was absolutely fine , the only thing that needs pumped out was toilet paper and so forth . Therefore, her husband doesn't want to spend any money for something that they don't need, so they're going to wait. The neighbor has had his system for 8 whole years with no problems so apparently that makes him an expert . I briefly suggested to her that to wait until it backs up is sort of like waiting to change the oil on your car until the engine quits, but of course now I don't know anything at all about septics since she got her neighbor's advice.

I just said that's fine, we'll wait and see what happens. I don't have a problem installing new drainfields for her and her neighbor in a few years . Like my brother said, that's two prospective failures coming up .

Re: Pay me now or pay me later!

I just love those people. They are the first ones who call you in the middle of the night on a weekend and then ***** about the price.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I didn't mean to sound arrogant with my original post, and I also will be the first to admit that they may get along just fine for years, but to seek out professional advice and then tell me I'm full of **** because the "neighbor" (for all I know he's a tailor or policeman) says so is what cracks me up.
      She asked where she could learn more about septic maintenance and I told her to start with the Septic FAQ's page on my website and then start searching our local health department websites, the State Department of Environmental Quality website, the EPA, the many universities nationwide who do environmental studies, and on and on. I just figure that when she realizes that the advice I gave her concurs with the advice of 90-95% of the experts out there, maybe I'll get a little of my credibility back in her mind.

Comment

I don't think you sounded arrogant at all.

Comment

Dude, it happens here all the time...I don't pump septic tanks (used to work for a company that did)...I also don't repair or replace drain fields (same thing as before)...So at this point I have nothing to gain because I don't make recommendations on these things...When cable a septic line or however it comes up, I do recommend getting tank pumped every 3-5 years depending on people living in house, tank size, etc...these people will tell me that their neighbor said they have been there 20 + years and never done anything...to which I reply okay, but I would rather pay somebody to pump my tank, and keep bacteria up every so often and spend 200-300 then in 20 something years pay 10k-20k...besides if you believe your neighbor then why ask? Nothing gets me urked more than somebody who asks me but then gives that line of well I read this or my friend says that...then DON'T ASK ME!!!
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
            Dude, it happens here all the time...I don't pump septic tanks (used to work for a company that did)...I also don't repair or replace drain fields (same thing as before)...So at this point I have nothing to gain because I don't make recommendations on these things...When cable a septic line or however it comes up, I do recommend getting tank pumped every 3-5 years depending on people living in house, tank size, etc...these people will tell me that their neighbor said they have been there 20 + years and never done anything...to which I reply okay, but I would rather pay somebody to pump my tank, and keep bacteria up every so often and spend 200-300 then in 20 something years pay 10k-20k...besides if you believe your neighbor then why ask? Nothing gets me urked more than somebody who asks me but then gives that line of well I read this or my friend says that...then DON'T ASK ME!!!
            Yep . Or I was reading on the internet
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

All you can do in these situations is try to educate them the best you can. I know sometimes they don't seem like they are listening but the more you talk, hopefully, the more it sinks in. I've had people like that and have talked to them enough that they finally understood why they needed to have their tank maintained.

I also keep some of the EPA homeowner guides in my trucks to pass out to customers and potential customers. By the way they will give them to you for free. Call and ask them. I usually get 100 at a time. You can also download the pdf and print them yourself, or modify them. The EPA will only send you the short version. The long version is better but free is a very good price.

Keep up the good work and don't let them get you down!

Comment

Working...
              X