X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Drill..........???

Ridgid, Makita, DeWalt, and Milwaukee have a lot of different big gun drills out there. Which make and model is preferred for running 1.25" cable ? Is having one with a slip clutch preferred ?
    Last edited by AssTyme; 04-05-2011, 06:02 PM.

Re: Which Drill..........???

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    Makita, DeWalt, and Milwaukee have a lot of different big gun drills out there. Which make and model is preferred for running 1.25" cable ? Is having one with a slip clutch preferred ?
    I have dewalt / timberwolf .. Mine clutches in low..Wouldn't even attempt it without the drill being in low..But I cannot seem to find the adapter to run the ridgid cables..I would like to try it even though it scares the crap outta me ..But I gotta try it ..I wonder if the drill is too torquey for 7/8" cables. So does everyone make their own adapters or do they buy em' ..If so where..Thanks
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-DW124-1-2...item43a4ddc529

I have this one ..The one on ebay looks beat to hell and no handle and handle bolts

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-11-Amp-1-...item3cb5e61df6

But this one looks like it would get serious busy

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-Right-Ang...item230e5a3b26

This looks much better than the first
      Last edited by OLD1; 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM.
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've talked to a couple machinists who are ready to make an adapter when the time comes.I'll PM you if your still looking for one.

Comment

I'm wondering if the super hawg is too much.I think it's handle is longer.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            I'm wondering if the super hawg is too much.I think it's handle is longer.

I don't know...... there are so many different models to choose from I'm confused

Comment

love the timberwolf for the 1.25''. never had the clutch slip and i don't think it's possible to slip the clutch on the cable.

never cared for the feel of the hole hawg with the cables.

the super hawg is probably a good subsitute, but so far the timberwolf has done a great job. plust i don't want to get my hawg dirty.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                I don't know...... there are so many different models to choose from I'm confused
                Not really,
                Dewalt or Super Hawg.
                All others are under powered or handle too close to chuck,you have no leverage and will get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  love the timberwolf for the 1.25''. never had the clutch slip and i don't think it's possible to slip the clutch on the cable.

never cared for the feel of the hole hawg with the cables.

the super hawg is probably a good subsitute, but so far the timberwolf has done a great job. plust i don't want to get my hawg dirty.

rick.

Are you talking about the DW124 ?

http://www.dewalt.com/tool-categorie...ty-drills.aspx

Comment

that's the one.

rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Not really,
                      Dewalt or Super Hawg.
                      All others are under powered or handle too close to chuck,you have no leverage and will get hurt.

Must be talking about the 1680-20, ThanX

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/d...er-hawg-drills

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                        I have dewalt / timberwolf .. Mine clutches in low..Wouldn't even attempt it without the drill being in low..But I cannot seem to find the adapter to run the ridgid cables..I would like to try it even though it scares the crap outta me ..But I gotta try it ..I wonder if the drill is too torquey for 7/8" cables. So does everyone make their own adapters or do they buy em' ..If so where..Thanks
                        the ridgid cables are waaaaaaay too long to run with a drill. 10' cables would even scare me. if and when i ever attept the drill trick it will be with 8' eel cables and the electric eel drill adapter in my milwaukee hole hawg. thr guys out east favor that drill. i don't see how thr timberwolf or superhawg would be even remotely comfortable running cables.

i just can't wait to try out my new R750. looks like a k60 on steroids!

Comment

the hole hawg doesn't have the long body of the super hawg or timberwolf. when things start to torque, you'll really appreciate the longer body of the those drills.

15' cables are not an issue until you hit an obstruction. then you wish that you're cables already a good 10' in. problem with the ridgid cables are they're not innercore out here. in europe they are

plus if you need a short section for safety, they don't have it.

my general 10' sections and 2- 4' sections have never failed me. they have couples that are the "G" connector for general and the eel pin type connector. they also have 2 size innercores.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I use the Hole Shooter, if you need more leverage, thread in some iron pipe.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/d...650-rpm/1610-1
                            Attached Files
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                              if and when i ever attept the drill trick it will be with 8' eel cables and the electric eel drill adapter in my milwaukee hole hawg. thr guys out east favor that drill.

Brother UnclogNH uses and has recommended this one.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/d...450-rpm/1660-6

Comment

Working...
                              X