X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get the lead out!!

Cleaned a main sewer blocked by roots today.

The interesting part of this 4" cast iron drain, which is about 90 years old, is a chunk of lead that protruded from the bottom of one of the caulk joints!! I don't recall ever having seen something like this before. Interestingly, there was no apparent buildup behind the lead even though the main stack drained right into this.

After:

A pass with 2" knives.
    A pass with 3" knives.
    A pass with a 3" spiral cutter
    Three passes with a 3"- 6" expandable cutter.

Multiple beatings on the lead with the camera head. (mainly to get the camera past to view the roots.)

FYI: The expandable cutter seemed to have the most effect.

Also, on a 2nd camera later in the day I found a good sized stick in a building sewer! How it got there is a mystery. Maybe the wind blew it down the vent stack?
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Get the lead out!!

nice finished job.

i was going to suggest a chain knocker on the 7/8'' or 1.25'' cable.

even the root ranger will cut out soft lead.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Cool pictures! I love using my camera, you just never know what you'll find. Last weekend I did my own house for the first time. Home built in 1916 with a 6" clay sewer that goes out about 80 feet. Remarkably it was in very good condition except for the few root balls I removed. I did it because I can hear a leak. Found it too. Coming from the city water main in my alley and flowing into my sewer about three feet from the city sewer. They're digging it up next week. I HATE THE SOUND OF RUNNING WATER in the pipes! Plumbers nightmares.

Never saw lead like that sticking up. Could create some wear on the camera head!

Ever have problems with your led's getting boogered up? I learned to flush a toilet when it happens and then swish it back and forth in the water, works great to clean the lense and lights.

Comment

Can't believe that it never caused a problem before?????

Comment

I've found that before...likely from a cutter head grabbing it and lifting it but not cutting it off.

Comment

Its caused by a poorly packed oakum and the lead getting by it. Then over the years the rods have grabbed it and straited to pull it up. Not to common in older sewers, but I have seen l a lot with newer sewers where the guy making up the caulked joint just does not have the experience.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post

Never saw lead like that sticking up. Could create some wear on the camera head!

Ever have problems with your led's getting boogered up? I learned to flush a toilet when it happens and then swish it back and forth in the water, works great to clean the lense and lights.
              I frequently run cold water when running the camera. It seems to help with friction and it also cleans the schmutz off the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Its caused by a poorly packed oakum and the lead getting by it. Then over the years the rods have grabbed it and straited to pull it up. Not to common in older sewers, but I have seen l a lot with newer sewers where the guy making up the caulked joint just does not have the experience.
                Ron, I thought it was something like that. I just don't understand how the lead would buildup that high, after all wouldn't it come out of the joint and just spread out? Or, apparently some molten lead hits the cool pipe and solidifies, then more lead comes out hitting the hot but relatively and recently cooled lead and solidifies on top of it. Continue ad nauseum till lead's all gone.

Comment

Working...
                X