Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace my Spartan 2001 with K-60, K-1500 or a K-1500SP???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I replace my Spartan 2001 with K-60, K-1500 or a K-1500SP???

I would like to retire my Spartan 2001 drum machine and begin using a sectional machine. Most mains in my area are 4" - 6". Can a K-60 replace the Spartan 2001 or would a K-1500 be the better all-around choice? Also, for a couple hundred dollars more, would the 1 horse power K-1500SP be a better choice than the standard 3/4 horsepower K-1500. Normally I would pick the more powerful 1 HP K-1500SP, but that motor draws 15 AMPS versus the standard 3/4 HP K-1500 only draws 10 AMPS and I don't want to be popping fuses or circuit breakers, etc... Thanks for your input.

Re: Should I replace my Spartan 2001 with K-60, K-1500 or a K-1500SP???

the 2001 is a 3/4'' machine. the 1500 is a 1.25'' and 7/8'' machine.

the 60 is a 7/8'' and 5/8'' machine.

i can tell you from the hundreds and hundreds of drains my k-60 has under it's belt, if there is a machine that can do it all, the k-60 is it

sure a 1500 is a beast of a machine, but does every job require the beast or the machine that will get it done 95% of the time

for me the k-60 is my go to machine and the 1500 is it's big brother back up.

what type of roots do you run into there?

give me the k-60 or give me death

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If you never see 3", I would go with the k1500. How long are the mains? Maybe the electric eel cable and drill combo would suit you better.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by CharliEcono View Post
        I would like to retire my Spartan 2001 drum machine and begin using a sectional machine. Most mains in my area are 4" - 6". Can a K-60 replace the Spartan 2001 or would a K-1500 be the better all-around choice? Also, for a couple hundred dollars more, would the 1 horse power K-1500SP be a better choice than the standard 3/4 horsepower K-1500. Normally I would pick the more powerful 1 HP K-1500SP, but that motor draws 15 AMPS versus the standard 3/4 HP K-1500 only draws 10 AMPS and I don't want to be popping fuses or circuit breakers, etc... Thanks for your input.
        Why retire the 2001? Don't you mainly have basements in Kenosha? BTW: Isn't Kenosha by Great Lakes Naval Station? I seem to recall that name from my boot camp days.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          Why retire the 2001? Don't you mainly have basements in Kenosha? BTW: Isn't Kenosha by Great Lakes Naval Station? I seem to recall that name from my boot camp days.

It's probably too heavy loading in and out of truck, going in and out of basements every day. Get a Spartan 300 it's only 160lbs loaded with 107' of .55 magnum.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            It's probably too heavy loading in and out of truck, going in and out of basements every day. Get a Spartan 300 it's only 160lbs loaded with 107' of .55 magnum.
            Assytme: According to the Spartan Tool website the 2001 weighs one more pound than the 300. (Yep) 139 lbs vs 138 lbs.

http://www.spartantool.com/cablemachines.asp

(I believe these weights are with empty drums.)
            Last edited by geno gardner; 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

the 2001 is a lift truck design. the drum comes off very easy to transport the machine and then grab a second drum with the bare machine.

of course the k-60 and 1500 is a big difference as you only spin and carry what you need. not a full weighted drum. plus no overspin of the cable as the clutch will stop the cable when released.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

If you do long runs of 6" clay (over 100') on a regular basis, then go with the K-1500

The 1hp motor is only necessary if you are running larger sewers in commercial/industrial or municipal work (8"-10")

The machine in my avatar picture is a 30+ year old KM-1500 that has required little to no maintenance in that time period.

In Chicago, the 1500 has been the choice of most when it comes to sectionals.

If you really want to be versatile, use the electric eel cable in your 1500 and get a 1/2" drill and adapter so that you can run the cable with the drill in really tight spots.

I have a K-60, but only use on 6" lines from basement cleanouts where the 1500 would be too awkard. Sometimes I use it from outside cleanouts or residential catch basins if I don't have the 1500 on the truck.

I still want Ridgid to make a Chris-75 modeled after the Rothenberger R750

Comment

Assytme: According to the Spartan Tool website the 2001 weighs one more pound than the 300. (Yep) 139 lbs vs 138 lbs.

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

Yeah, the Spartan website is kinda vague. I know that the magnum cable is pretty light, but 160# seems light from my memory.

The K-1500 will kick all kinds of root azz in 6" compared to the 300.

My general rule of thumb when dealing with moderate to heavy roots is to use cable/machine that is rated 1 pipe size larger than the actal pipe that your are rodding. The 1500 is rated to 8" and te C-14 cables are heavty duty, so that is what I prefer.

You California boys need to remember that there is a big difference between rodding 4" lines that go to 6" for the last 30' of so and rodding a 125' 6" clay line that is 90 years old from an 5.5' deep catch basin.

In the Chicago area, the K-60 will not do it all, but with general innercore cable and sharp cutters it can do most...but it will take longer than using a bigger machine like the 1500.

For evidence, see my posting from the "stuck incident" last year where I get my 1.25" cable stuck, then unstuck it with a 3/4" drum, then cleared the 200' line with the 1.25" cable, then went back upstream towards the house about 30' and pulled back about 35' of broken 7/8" cable that someone else had broken off in the line years ago.

In summary, speaking as someone who has rodded sewers in Kenosha Cty, I would recommend a K-1500. You are close enough to Chicago that you could be down at AJ Coleman in about an hour and a half. They're guaranteed to have everything you need to get set up and they might even take your Spartan in on a trade!

Comment

It's an error. The manual has it right, the 300 with with a 5' anchor cable weighs 101lbs.

Comment

I have 2 machines :

1-k60

1-k1500

Have not needed to tuck tail back to the shop for the 1500 cause' the 60 couldn't hang
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i can tell you from the hundreds and hundreds of drains my k-60 has under it's belt, if there is a machine that can do it all, the k-60 is it

sure a 1500 is a beast of a machine, but does every job require the beast or the machine that will get it done 95% of the time

rick.
                        Thanks for your input, Rick. The K-60 does seem like a great machine. Even though the K-60 may clear the line, do you feel like much more effort is required than if you had tried to clear the same line with a K-1500? I don't know the names of the multiple tree's producing these roots - but I can tell you that many times it looks like a dark colored hair wig wrapped around my cable.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                          Thanks for your input, Rick. The K-60 does seem like a great machine. Even though the K-60 may clear the line, do you feel like much more effort is required than if you had tried to clear the same line with a K-1500? I don't know the names of the multiple tree's producing these roots - but I can tell you that many times it looks like a dark colored hair wig wrapped around my cable.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            If you never see 3", I would go with the k1500. How long are the mains? Maybe the electric eel cable and drill combo would suit you better.
                            Most of the mains are 75' - 100'. I would like to know more about the electric eel cable and drill combo setup - how does that setup work?

Thanks for your input,
                            Charlie

Comment

I probably won't sell my 2001 right away - I'll wait and see how the sectional machine works for me. Yes, almost every main line job here is accessed through the basement unless the job is in a restaurant or similar. Sure I can disassemble the Spartan, but even lugging up just the cable drum is very heavy and even more, I'm fed up with how sensitive the .66 cable is to getting kinks and bends. Yeah, the Naval Base is about a 30-40 minute drive south from Kenosha.

Thanks for your input,
                              Charlie

Comment

Working...
                              X