Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace my Spartan 2001 with K-60, K-1500 or a K-1500SP???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I replace my Spartan 2001 with K-60, K-1500 or a K-1500SP???

It is a heavy bastard... I'll check out the 300.

Thanks for your input,
    Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
      Yeah, the Spartan website is kinda vague. I know that the magnum cable is pretty light, but 160# seems light from my memory.

The K-1500 will kick all kinds of root azz in 6" compared to the 300.

My general rule of thumb when dealing with moderate to heavy roots is to use cable/machine that is rated 1 pipe size larger than the actal pipe that your are rodding. The 1500 is rated to 8" and te C-14 cables are heavty duty, so that is what I prefer.

You California boys need to remember that there is a big difference between rodding 4" lines that go to 6" for the last 30' of so and rodding a 125' 6" clay line that is 90 years old from an 5.5' deep catch basin.

In the Chicago area, the K-60 will not do it all, but with general innercore cable and sharp cutters it can do most...but it will take longer than using a bigger machine like the 1500.

For evidence, see my posting from the "stuck incident" last year where I get my 1.25" cable stuck, then unstuck it with a 3/4" drum, then cleared the 200' line with the 1.25" cable, then went back upstream towards the house about 30' and pulled back about 35' of broken 7/8" cable that someone else had broken off in the line years ago.

In summary, speaking as someone who has rodded sewers in Kenosha Cty, I would recommend a K-1500. You are close enough to Chicago that you could be down at AJ Coleman in about an hour and a half. They're guaranteed to have everything you need to get set up and they might even take your Spartan in on a trade!
      Thanks for the valuable information - especially since you are familiar with Kenosha. Please tell me a little more about using the electric eel cable in a K-1500 and a 1/2" drill and adapter. I have been to AJ Coleman and you are right, they have everything. I was there last week talking with Shane - he spent a lot of time with me and was very helpful - he seems like a great guy.

Charlie

Comment

You would be better off keeping your 2001 and getting a drill and eel setup.
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by CharliEcono View Post
          It is a heavy bastard... I'll check out the 300.

Thanks for your input,
          Charlie

I'm fed up with how sensitive the .66 cable is to getting kinks and bends.

If you're kinking/bending the .66 cable I wouldn't go near the 300 with .55 cable

Comment

Thanks for your input, Rick. The K-60 does seem like a great machine. Even though the K-60 may clear the line, do you feel like much more effort is required than if you had tried to clear the same line with a K-1500? I don't know the names of the multiple tree's producing these roots - but I can tell you that many times it looks like a dark colored hair wig wrapped around my cable.

Charlie
            the 1500 and 60 are very similar in operation. they both run 7/8'' cable and the 1500 will run 1.25'' cable.

so the big advantage to the 60 is the overall size and weight of the machine and cable.

i hand carry the k-60, 90' of cable, 50' extension cord, my rubber 2x2 mat and a couple cutters all at once

with the 1500, pretty much 60' of cable is all i can carry. depending on the 1500 a or b style, the "a" upright machine will be able to carry a spool.

the k-60 i can set up and strap onto a ladder to use it way off the floor and of course a rooftop when needed.

if you go back and look at photos i've posted on the k-60, you should be able to see enough roots to know, it's the little machine that gets it done

the 1500, sits at the shop but don't worry, it's got company, the american power and venom will be keeping the 1500 warm until the call of doodie comes up.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

You bought the Venom too ?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                You bought the Venom too ?

i should of had the top fuel too

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

i say again, there is a BIG difference between rodding 100'+ 6" sewers and rodding sewers that go from 4" to 6" for the last 40' or so.

the 60 is not rated to 6" by ridgid for a reason...the standard cable is not stiff enough for 6". the innercore cable (general wire) makes the machine tolerable in long 6" lines (using all innercore, not just a leader) but if there are multiple turns or super nasty roots you'll have to work a lot harder.

portability does not dictate practicality.

my experience suggests that when rodding old sewers 50+ years old (in thr greater chicago area they can be over 100 years old) with heavy roots, a good rule of thumb is to select machine and cable combination where BOTH components are rated at least 1 pipe size larger than the pipe that you are rodding. rodding heavy roots in 6" clay with a k60 and the innercore cable is pushing the machine and assumes an extra degree of risk.

if you are currently kinking .66 magnum cable with your spartan, i would be weary of the 7/8" cable.

1.25" cable sounds like your best bet. electric eel cable will work in a 1500 the same way ridgid cable does + the eel cutters are said to be bada**. you can also run the eel cable with a model c or drill by getting the adapter (the drill setup is kinda like using the sewer "force" need to be careful.

shane is a good dude (they all are at AJ Coleman). ask him how many 1500 machines he sells and SERVICES vs. k60's...that will give you a good indication of what other plumbers in the area are using on similar drains.

the k60 is a good machine to bridge the gap between small drain lines and straight access cleanouts. it also is useful for roof access (not very practical for most residential here). i use mine most for basment or bathroom access where I am rodding from a 3" or 3.5" cleanout to a 4" cast iron line that goes immediately into 6" below the floor or upon exiting the house. the k60's low profilenand smaller diameter cable are very useful in these situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    i say again, there is a BIG difference between rodding 100'+ 6" sewers and rodding sewers that go from 4" to 6" for the last 40' or so.

the 60 is not rated to 6" by ridgid for a reason...the standard cable is not stiff enough for 6". the innercore cable (general wire) makes the machine tolerable in long 6" lines (using all innercore, not just a leader) but if there are multiple turns or super nasty roots you'll have to work a lot harder.

portability does not dictate practicality.

my experience suggests that when rodding old sewers 50+ years old (in thr greater chicago area they can be over 100 years old) with heavy roots, a good rule of thumb is to select machine and cable combination where BOTH components are rated at least 1 pipe size larger than the pipe that you are rodding. rodding heavy roots in 6" clay with a k60 and the innercore cable is pushing the machine and assumes an extra degree of risk.

if you are currently kinking .66 magnum cable with your spartan, i would be weary of the 7/8" cable.

1.25" cable sounds like your best bet. electric eel cable will work in a 1500 the same way ridgid cable does + the eel cutters are said to be bada**. you can also run the eel cable with a model c or drill by getting the adapter (the drill setup is kinda like using the sewer "force" need to be careful.

shane is a good dude (they all are at AJ Coleman). ask him how many 1500 machines he sells and SERVICES vs. k60's...that will give you a good indication of what other plumbers in the area are using on similar drains.

the k60 is a good machine to bridge the gap between small drain lines and straight access cleanouts. it also is useful for roof access (not very practical for most residential here). i use mine most for basment or bathroom access where I am rodding from a 3" or 3.5" cleanout to a 4" cast iron line that goes immediately into 6" below the floor or upon exiting the house. the k60's low profilenand smaller diameter cable are very useful in these situations.
                    I hear you loud and clear - I will be buying the K-1500 very soon. Since most of the clean-outs are located in basements, having to go down and up stairs, would you agree that the K-1500A (upright dolly style) would be a better choice than the K-1500B (original low) version?

PS. did you receive the private message that I sent to you a couple nights ago?

Charlie

Comment

Working...
                    X